1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Kemp17's Prospect Breakdowns

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Jesse Kemp, May 27, 2014.

1. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Hey guys. This year I've decided to dig in to the 2015 draft prospects really early so as to get a thorough look at a lot of prospects by the time the next draft rolls around. Obviously any reports compiled right now are subject to change per the 2014 college football season, but it's still helpful to get a good handle on some of the top guys going into this next year of football. I've been writing and posting these breakdowns for about a week on the CMB and thought that they might be of interest over here. Comments and criticisms are welcome.

2. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    [​IMG]

I'm starting things off with a guy who is generally regarded as the top receiver in the 2015 draft. Cooper exploded onto the college football scene in 2012 with 58 catches for 999 yards (17.22 YPC) and 11 touchdowns. 2013 was somewhat underwhelming by comparison (45-736-4) due mostly to some foot/toe injury issues. He's listed at 6'1" 202 lbs. Sites seem to estimate his 40 in the 4.55 range, but he's way faster than that when you watch him. I'm guessing he's at least in the low 4.4's.

The game I'm watching for this take is his biggest statistical showing of the 2013 season-- a 6 catch, 178 yard, 1 TD effort against Auburn. I will of course revisit him once 2014 games are in the books and available to watch, but this will give me an idea of where he's at coming into the season.

http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=amari+cooper

Positives:
    • Obvious deep speed to get behind the defense.
    • Accelerates quickly and is a smooth mover with the ball in his hands.
    • Sudden athlete who can make quick cuts.
    • Adjusts well to the ball in the air and can time the catch point.
    • Showed versatility lining up outside, in the slot, in the backfield, and running a 28 yd end around.
    • Can fend off would be tacklers for extra yardage.
    • Good effort and technique as a blocker.
    Negatives:
    • Though sudden in his cuts, they aren't particularly sharp; rounds off on his routes.
    • Didn't see a really developed route tree in this game.
    • Body catches too often and has some concentration drops.
    • Shows some wasted movement at the line of scrimmage with odd hitch step.
    Bottom Line: With solid size, and obvious speed/acceleration, Cooper's first round buzz seems warranted to me based on this game. But he isn't without things to work on this year. The two main things I'll be wanting to see out of him are sharper routes and more consistent hands. I'll also be interested to see how he fares against press coverage, as Auburn was clearly too scared of his deep speed to try and disrupt him at the line of scrimmage. Had he been in the 2014 draft, I think he would have been in the conversation for the late first round. Should he improve in his questionable areas and remain healthy, I have no problem seeing a top 20 pick. Teams are going to covet a guy who can blow the top off a defense with long speed or kill them with screens and yards after the catch, while still being solidly built and over 200 lbs.

3. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    [​IMG]

Alrighty gang… full disclosure, I am a Stanford Cardinal fan and my favorite current Cardinal player happens to be Ty Montgomery. So I'm going to try really hard not to be a homer with this evaluation, but I'm also human so just shake some salt on it.

Montgomery stands 6'2" 215 lbs and is going into his senior season for the Cardinal. Last year, he compiled 61 catches for 958 yards (15.7 YPC) and 10 touchdowns. He also chipped in 13 carries for 159 yards, at a 12.23 yd/carry clip and 2 rushing touchdowns. And lastly, he was a great kick returner, turning 36 tries into a 30.3 yd average and 2 touchdowns.

I watched all of Montgomery's 2013 games as a casual fan, but for this more in depth look I'm rewatching his 2013 match ups against Utah and Cal. @ Utah he accrued 8 catches, 131 yds (16.38 YPC), 1 carry for 5 yards, and 3 KR's at a 53 yd average with one touchdown. Vs Cal he had 5 catches for 160 yards (32 YPC), and two carries for 31 yards total and a rushing TD.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/ty-m...-vs-utah-2013/
    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/ty-m...lifornia-2013/

Positives:
    • Zone buster who understands how to find the soft spots and sit in them.
    • Comes back to the football and squares his shoulders to QB, presenting a big target.
    • Good acceleration with obvious long speed to get behind defenses, or pick up YAC.
    • Great vision in open field, whether with yards after catch, rushing, or returning; uses blockers well.
    • Makes would be tacklers miss and will bounce off the lazier attempts.
    • Tough player who is willing to go over the middle or hang himself out to make a catch.
    • Displays versatility to win from multiple spots on the field.
    • Worked off jam well in limited snaps I saw him vs. press.
    Negatives:
    • Runs a limited route tree and is lazy in executing cuts.
    • Effort and approach when blocking is hit and miss.
    • On option routes needs to read coverage better and take what's given.*
    • Saw one concentration drop and didn't dominate at the catch point the way I'd like to see (though there are flashes).
    Bottom Line: Based on these two games, Montgomery is more athlete than wide receiver at this point (kind of the opposite of what you expect from Stanford players). Seeing his room for growth makes me applaud the fact that he stayed in school. His open field ability is obvious, and the tools to become a complete receiver are all there. But like many college receivers, I want to see him develop his route tree and commit more effort to making them crisp and effective. Because at the moment, it seems that his only means of separation against man coverage is to run past them. Otherwise, he's having to make contested catches (vs man, not zone) and that's a work in progress for him. But if he develops his route tree, there's no reason that this guy can't become a legitimate #1 NFL receiver. I see a top 50 prospect from 2013, with room to become a 1st round lock with improvements.

*I am assuming that he was running an option route on the play I'm referring to. Looked like he was supposed to read the coverage and run a comeback or pull a double move depending on whether or not the corner bit. Went for the double move and big play even though corner didn't come up after the initial cut. Hogan clearly saw that the coverage was allowing the comeback and threw a pass accordingly, which was almost intercepted because Montgomery was trying to run upfield

4. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    [​IMG]

While there was a lot of discussion surrounding Kelvin Benjamin leading up to the 2014 draft, Rashad Greene was the real "go to" target in Florida State's passing attack last season. He wracked up 76 catches for 1128 yards (14.84 YPC) and 9 touchdowns. And this was not his first productive year at Florida State, having produced 1,337 yards and 13 touchdowns combined in 2012 and 2011. It's also notable that he has been an effective punt returner over his time with the Seminoles. Greene is listed at 6'0" 180 lbs.

For this write up, I've watched games against N.C. State, Boston College, and Pitt. His lines in these games were 8/137/1, 4/90/2, and 8/126/1 respectively.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/rash...na-state-2013/

Positives:
    • Excellent hands; can extend and make the catch over the top, and will come down with a lot of contested passes.
    • Runs crisp routes w/ developed tree; sinks his hips for sharp cuts and stems well.
    • Works back to the ball well and squares up to present a good target.
    • Evades the jam with quick feet.
    • Very quick with plus acceleration; some nifty shiftiness after the catch.
    • Good vision in the open field with the ball in his hands.
    • Inside/outside versatility.
    • High effort, effective blocker with good technique.
    Negatives:
    • Doesn't break many tackles; easy to bring down.
    • Adequate long speed, but nothing special; uses double moves to get behind the defense.
    • Leaves his feet too often for passes that don't require it, which takes away from his chance to gain YAC.
    • Will occasionally drop catchable balls in heavy traffic.
    Bottom Line: Rashad Greene is a fun player to watch because of how much he does right. He plays with terrific technique, especially in his route running. And he has the somewhat rare ability to pluck a ball over his head with his back to the line of scrimmage. That said, he's not especially big, strong, or fast (at least he doesn't appear to be faster than 4.50 on tape). He isn't going to bully smaller defenders, nor is he going to blow past them. He has probably become such a refined player simply because he had to in order to be as successful as he's been. He reminds me of Jared Abbrederis, who without the concussions and in a normal receiver class was probably a 3rd round pick. I'd say that Greene looks like a top 75 prospect, but with little room to add anything to his game other than some muscle and production. I could see him having a long career as a #2 or #3 receiver.

5. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    [​IMG]

The first offensive linemen I've chosen to take an early look at is LSU's 6'5" 315 lb starting left tackle, La'el Collins. Collins took over the left tackle job in 2013 after beginning his career as a left guard in 2012. For this breakdown, I watched his 2013 matchups against Georgia, Arkansas, and Alabama.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/lael...-georgia-2013/
    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/lael...arkansas-2013/
    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/lael...-alabama-2013/

Positives:
    • Good base and solid anchor; not easily walked back by a bull rush.
    • Engages defensive linemen with a lot of pop in his hands.
    • Plus drive blocker, exceptional when his pad level is right.
    • Can redirect against pass rushers attempting to cut back inside.
    • Handles stunts fairly well; good awareness to switch off.
    • Appears to have long arms and uses length to control engagement.
    • Typically plays with good knee bend and proper stance.
    • Capable of dominating the POA, especially in short yardage.
    • Combo blocks well and will typically get to his second man.
    • Can turn linemen out of the lane with ease, and seals.
    • Didn't see him penalized once through three games.
    • Motor appears to run consistently hot.
    • Nasty blocker who seems to relish putting players on their backs.
    Negatives:
    • Doesn't have left tackle feet; speed rushers can get around his shoulder.
    • Pad level can be inconsistent in the running game.
    • Susceptible to overload blitzes.
    • Lunges and overextends if unable to engage (lacks patience at times).
    • Occasionally drops his head and leans on guys in the running game.
    • Almost never asked to pull, and looks awkward in space.
    • Gets out of control when climbing to the 2nd level; whiffs.
    • Ends up on the ground a little too much for my liking.
    • Vulnerable to speed>power moves, as good first steps get him off balance.
    • Doesn't cut block very effectively.
    Bottom Line: Collins is an interesting prospect because while he's very good at what he does, he doesn't have a very diverse skill set. If you want a mauling drive blocker who engages almost exclusively with the first level of the defense, he's your man. However if you want someone who has the feet to pull or climb to the 2nd level, he probably isn't a fit (at least not the 2013 iteration). And while he has nice length, I don't think he has the feet to be a good fit on the outside and would be best served moving back to guard in the pros. He has the power to deal with interior defensive linemen in the running game, and seems to handle quickness in a phone booth much better than speed on an island. In 2014, I want to see him clean up a few inconsistencies (pad level, lunging, leaning) and hopefully get out on the move more often and prove he's capable. If he works to become serviceable as a second level blocker, I can see him fitting in nicely for us at left guard with the versatility to fill in at LT if need be. Overall, a top 50 talent (last year).

6. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    [​IMG]

This writeup is an early look at Florida State Seminole right guard Tre' Jackson. He has started every game of 2012 and 2013 at right guard for the National Champs, and is listed at 6'4" 339 lbs. Most media rankings currently have him near or at the top of their lists for 2015 Guard prospects. For this breakdown, I watched his 2013 contests against Miami, N.C. State, Florida, Clemson, and Pittsburgh (there is an abundance of Cameron Erving cut ups out there so it was easy to find a lot of tape for Jackson).

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/came...vs-miami-2013/
    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/came...na-state-2013/
    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/came...-florida-2013/
    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/came...-clemson-2013/
    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/came...ttsburgh-2013/

Positives:
    • When properly engaged, has a solid anchor and is difficult to move.
    • Good feet/balance to get to the 2nd level.
    • Capability to pull and trap.
    • Raw athleticism is obvious in movement skills for a man of his size.
    • Never saw him penalized.
    • Solid effort throughout course of games I watched.

Negatives
    • Very vulnerable to quickness in pass pro; didn't have to block alone often.
    • Doesn't get much push at the POA; plays too high.
    • Struggles to locate and engage at 2nd level; not much pop when he does.
    • Late in recognizing and reacting to blitzes/stunts.
    • Poor hand placement, often allowing defenders into his chest.
    • Too often drops his head and leans in the running game.
    • Doesn't sustain blocks; too easily shed.
    • Not uncommon to see him dumped by players 100 lbs lighter.
    • Game is generally tentative and hesitant; reacts rather than imposes.
    • Will bend at the waist and overextend rather than move his feet.
    • A liability in short yardage as DL can often force him into the backfield.
    • Lacks the speed to really get out in front on screens.
    • Doesn't turn or seal opponents from the hole.

Bottom Line: I came into this evaluation with high hopes based on where Jackson is generally ranked, and came away thoroughly disappointed. I have no idea how anyone could be ranking him as the top guard prospect of 2015, and have to assume that most haven't actually watched him yet. Most are probably looking at his listed size, hearing about his athleticism, and recognizing that he plays for a fantastic offense, and assuming he must be a great football player. Wrong. He's a sloppy, undisciplined, underachieving blocker who got taken to task often in the games I watched by lesser athletes. FSU was able to mitigate his pass pro weakness by giving him help most of the time, but when left alone with a quick defensive tackle, he gave up pressure easily and often. He also looks overmatched in the running game, where the push he creates is minimal and often negative. He has the athleticism to get through the trash and make it to the 2nd level, but what is does once he gets there is often worthless. He has a ton to work on if he really wants to be in the conversation for top OG prospect. I honestly had to try hard to come up with good things to say about him, and combined some Negative qualities so as to keep the list from getting really long. 5th round prospect for me right now.

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Where the Hell were these 6 robust posts a week ago--when they could've done me some good?!? :mad:

8. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    2015 draft prospect breakdowns would have done good 6 weeks ago?

9. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    [​IMG]

Heading back to the wide receiver position, the next prospect I've chosen to take a peek at is Arizona State Sun Devil Jaelen Strong. And when I say "peek," I mean that literally as there are only a couple of cut ups available for him right now. But it's still useful to get a feel for the 6'4" 205 lb wide receiver. Strong is a Philadelphia native who started his college career as a JUCO player and had his first season in Mesa, AZ in 2013. He came into the PAC12 with a bang, wracking up 75 catches for 1,122 yards (14.96 YPC) and 7 touchdowns.

For this writeup, I watched the cut ups of his 2013 games Vs Stanford and Washington State. His lines in those games were 12/168/1 and 4/35/1 respectively. It should be noted again that this is a very limited look at a player who I will obviously spend a lot more time on in the future.

You Tube
    You Tube

Positives:
    • Impressive acceleration for a player of his size.
    • Demonstrates capability to execute the ever popular back shoulder catch.
    • Has some build up speed as a long strider.
    • Always a threat to make the circus catch.
    • Can break a tackle here or there, as well as make defenders miss in the open field.
    Negatives:
    • Plays in a simplistic offense with a lot of production from screens and shallow crosses.
    • Does not demonstrate any discernible route tree or route running ability.
    • As a result, rarely creates separation against man coverage.
    • Not much of a gameplan against press coverage.
    • Body catches too often.
    • Doesn't dominate the catch point; inconsistent timing on jump balls and fails to come down with a lot of contested catches.
    • Game is too finesse for a player of his size.
    Bottom Line: I'm not attempting to draw any hard and fast conclusions so early, but my early impressions of Strong aren't great. The size/speed/athleticism combination is nice, but he has a long way to go as a wide receiver and meanwhile isn't as dynamic as similarly raw prospects like Cooper and Montgomery. That said, if he can at least demonstrate the beginnings of honing his craft in 2014 he will be a very intriguing prospect. Some semblance of route running, and having a plan at the LOS would do wonders for his game (though it's doubtful that will happen in ASU's offense). What I'm less optimistic about, however, is his ability to become more aggressive at the catch point. A 6'4" 205 lb receiver should be boxing out, out-muscling, and out-leaping college defensive backs in a way that I didn't see from Strong. There is some technique to be learned in regards to that part of his game, but it will also come down to a mentality that a player either possesses or doesn't. You can't teach a guy to have an aggressive personality.

10. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    [​IMG]

The 2015 draft will be the second in a row to feature a Kouandijo from Alabama. Cyrus' younger brother Arie is a 6'5" 315 lb left guard for the Crimson Tide who stepped into a starting role in 2013. For the purposes of this write up, I've watched his games against Texas AM, Tennessee, and Oklahoma.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/arie-kouandjio

Positives:
    • Superb pass protector who rarely allows interior pressure.
    • Great awareness to recognize blitzes, stunts, and see where help is needed for the LT or C.
    • Very quick feet for a guard, allowing him to mirror.
    • Plays with a good base and uses long arms to initiate engagement.
    • Can re-anchor against power players inside.
    • Good initial quickness in running game to get inside DT's.
    • Excellent positional blocker who turns and seals consistently.
    • Has the movement skills to pull, trap, block screens, and climb to 2nd level.
    • Flashes ability to block effectively on the move.
    • Typically sustains his blocks without holding.
    • Savvy, well coached player who seems to already have some veteran tricks up his sleeve.
    Negatives:
    • Not an overwhelming drive blocker; push in man blocking scenarios typically isn't impressive.
    • Making his blocks at the 2nd level is hit and miss at this point.
    • Occasionally susceptible to power rushers on the interior.
    • Pad level could be lower in both phases.
    • Can at times be a liability in short yardage.
    • Could time his combo blocks better to more consistently get to the linebacker.
    Bottom Line: Arie is probably one of the better athletes in the country at the guard position and it shows. He handles quickness and speed very well in both the running and passing games. His ability to shoot under a DT who is shaded inside of him, engage, turn, and seal that player from the lane is impressive. And only a couple of times did I see him struggle in pass protection. His awareness is way ahead of where you would expect from a first year starter, and his ability to pull, trap, and block screens adds a lot of versatility to his game. My main issues with him at this point are that he plays a touch too high, and doesn't have much of a power element to his game. I want to see him get lower and drive players off the ball with a little more pop in his hands. Hopefully we see his strength develop in his second season as a starter. One unknown here is that he may or may not have knee concerns like his brother. If he gets a little stronger, and checks out medically, I have no trouble seeing him as a top 50 guard prospects.

11. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    6 posts, 1 week ago....lol

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    I'm glad someone agrees with me on Tre Jackson, Collins and Strong. I dont see any of them being all that great, though Jackson has the athleticism and potential to. Collins is an OG, and doesn't have the potential to be anything else. He just doesn't impress me in any aspect of his game. Strong is just big and gets a lot of targets, reminds me of Brian Quick.

I'm at the stage trying to pinpoint some of the positions that could potentially be our biggest areas of need. It all depends on Dunlap playing well again and resigning, but that could be a gigantic hole, and to be honest, i'm not all that impressed with the OT prospects this year (other than Peat obviously), I was thinking about NT, but i dont think we use a traditional pure run stuffer NT that often and i think we just need a rotational guy, which Carrethers is perfect for. Maybe SS but i trust in the split of Gilly/Addae(who i think will step up this year). Then it comes down to OG/C (depending on the future plan for Watt) and WR. I personally think that Hardwick is gone, he's contemplated retirement for years, and i think he just wanted to be loyal and play out his contract for this team. OG's are easier to find, so i would be more worried if we were going to keep him at RG into the future. At WR, i think we'll be looking for a replacement for floyd. A big, athletic, field stretching type to take pressure off KA. At OT, there's almost no OT that seems to fit the Joe D "Big/long/athletic" trend (all OTs hes drafted have been over 325 and over 35" arms with quick feet), maybe Brandon Shell or Schreff. At WR, obviously DGB would be awesome, but i'm not sure we want that type of character, but your boy Montgomery would be solid, as would Parker from Lousville, and even some smaller guys like Diggs/Agholore or Deonte Greenberry could be interesting. I haven't looked at many OGs/Cs but i'd absolutely love to have Hroness Grasu here.

The other one that i'd be interested in, is OLB. You can never get enough pass rushers, and we're likely losing JJ and Freeney next year. We need some depth there, and pass rushers have very good value and have to be taken high pretty consistently. Keep and eye out for Lynden Trail and "Bud" Dupree from Norfolk/Kentucky respectively, they both have crazy pass rush skills... (here's Dupree......:eek:) http://draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=246399&gif=UnfoldedBogusAmericanwigeon Both could probably be had in the mid rounds as of right now...

EDIT: Forgot to mention DE, where we could have a situation like what we had ths year at OLB and even RB. We could use a guy this year for depth purposes, but know that we have both starters going into the final year of their contracts, and getting a early/mid round guy to go along with them would benefit us in more ways than one. Arik Armstead, Joey Bosa (if he's eligible i cant remember), Leanord Williams (if he drops, he's got some real talent), Carl Davis possibly, maybe Leon Orr, a lot of guys i haven't watched here, but just looking at measurables.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I've only watched Grasu casually. He will probably be the next guy I focus on if I can find some good video online. But his athleticism pops off the screen even if you aren't watching him intently.

14. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    [​IMG]

Aundrey Walker was the Trojans' starting right guard in 2013 up until breaking his ankle in the second to last game against rival UCLA. His action prior to last season came as an injury replacement at left tackle for 8 starts. He is listed as being 6'5" or 6'6" depending on where you look, and consistently at 300 lbs. Fun fact: he is one of 17 siblings and the youngest of 14 brothers.

For this writeup, I watched his cut ups against Utah and Stanford.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/aundrey-walker

Positives:
    • Has some raw power and can create movement in the running game.
    • Good feet for a guard; can shuffle to mirror rushers.
    • Decent awareness to recognize and pick up blitzes and stunts; passes off and picks up smoothly in pass pro.
    • Does a good job executing combo blocks; slips off the initial double team to pick up the linebacker.
    • Has the feet and balance to pull and get out in front.
    • Plays with tenacity and a mean streak.

Negatives:
    • Drops his head too often when run blocking.
    • Pad level needs to get lower in both phases; struggles with leverage and defensive linemen can get under him.
    • Inconsistent in positioning his block to seal the lane.
    • Long arms, but hand placement is all over the place; technically raw in general.
    • Noticed some obvious mental errors and some false start issues.
    • Hit and miss when trying to block in space.

Bottom Line: Walker is an interesting prospect. He possesses some starter traits, and at times looks like a high end prospect. But he can also be sloppy, out of control, and overwhelmed. If he can't get his pad level lower and play with better leverage, he may wind up needing to slide out to right tackle or land as a backup. However, if he can bend his knees and get lower I think that the power element in his game will really develop and flourish. Because when he's right, he can drive guys off the line. In pass protection, he projects as a quality player as long as he hones his hand placement. His foot quickness and length are both above average for the position (which may lend themselves to moving outside). He's one I'll be very interested to see in 2014 based on the wide range of possible outcomes. He looks like a mid to late round prospect to me at the moment, but the potential to push into the top 100 is there if he shows enough progress. Oddly enough, he reminds me of Clary a little bit at guard. Similar strengths and weaknesses. But whereas Clary is technically sound and lacking in talent, Walker is talented and lacking refinement. So before people write him off based on the comp, realize that the upside to be better than our own #66 is definitely there.

15. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    [​IMG]

Having not yet gotten the bad taste out of my mouth from watching Tre' Jackson, I decided that I better spotlight his lineman Matias to see if he's any better. The 6'6" 331 lb left guard wears #70 and has started the last 28 games for the Seminoles after playing in 7 as a true freshman in 2011. I rewatched Clemson, N.C. State, and Florida specifically to focus on him, though I've noticed him in a few other FSU cut ups.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/josue-matias/

Positives:
    • Excellent pass protector when technique is proper.
    • Great feet to shuffle, mirror, pull, and climb to the 2nd level.
    • Engages and blocks well on the move.
    • Gets action flowing quickly on zone runs.
    • Recognizes stunts and blitzes; can pass off and pick up.
    • Typically uses great hand technique to get into defensive lineman's chest and control.
    • Flashes raw power to create movement.

Negatives:
    • Generally plays too high; hurts leverage when drive blocking, esp. at the GL.
    • Needs to have better awareness/timing on combo blocks of when to peal off and hit the linebacker.
    • Occasionally drops his head in pass protection, making it easy for DL to get by.
    • Will intermittently bend at the waist and lunge in protection.

Bottom Line: Matias looks to have all the makings of a very good NFL guard. He possesses the capability to block just about anything you can call (whether you're running zone, power, or gap concepts). And his pass protection has the potential to be sterling if he just cleans up some of the odd little inconsistencies that nagged throughout the games I watched. 8 or 9 times out of 10, he executes his technique and there's no issue, and then you'll see one snap where he does something really strange (like dropping his head or missing a block) for no apparent reason and it hurts him. I believe that will go away with experience and coaching. The only major concern I have is pad level. If he's a true 6'6", it may be a struggle for him to get that right. But if he can, he's going to have very few holes in his game. The issue generally affects him in the run game, where he can struggle to drive the defensive lineman off the LOS. Every now and then, you see the problem crop up in his protection (where a lineman gets under his pads and is able to get by). Had he been in the 2014 draft, I think he would have gone around the 4th round, but if he corrects his inconsistencies and learns to play even a little lower I think we're talking about a top 50 prospect.

16. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    [​IMG]

Widely regarded as the nation's top center prospects heading into the 2015 college football season, Hroniss (huh-RO-niss) Grasu is the next guy on my list. Grasu is of Romanian decent, but was born and raised in L.A.. He stands at 6'3" and weighs 298 lbs. He has started the last 3 seasons at the pivot for the Ducks. Grasu is generally thought of as one of the more athletic offensive linemen in the country.

For this breakdown, I watched his games Vs. Stanford, Oregon State, and Washington.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/hroniss-grasu/

Positives:
    • Knee bender who absorbs contact when in proper stance.
    • Good quickness of the snap.
    • Has the feet to pull around or get to the 2nd level.
    • Fairly consistent in engaging defender once at the 2nd level.
    • Outstanding balance; not on the ground very much.
    • Good positional blocker who knows how to wall off defenders.
    • Consistently creates lateral movement in Ducks ZBS.

Negatives:
    • Very little power to drive defenders.
    • Inconsistent in sustaining his blocks; too easily shed at times.
    • When stance isn't correct, easily bulled back into the pocket.
    • Poor hand use which occasionally leads to allowing interior pressure.
    • A liability on the goal line.
    • Was not effective combo blocking in rare occasions I saw him try.
    • Late reactions to A gap blitzes.

Bottom Line: Grasu is perhaps the most scheme specific offensive lineman that I've watched so far. He has the potential to be a good starter in a system that employs a heavy dose of zone runs, but I have serious doubts about his potential in a normal NFL offense that uses a mix of blocking concepts. Regardless of where he ends up, he needs to get stronger at the POA and especially in the hands. But his high level athleticism, balance, and quickness are undeniable. I see anywhere from a 2nd round to 4th round prospect depending on various teams' preference for offensive linemen and how much stronger he looks in 2014.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Brandon Shell rings true of the Joe D "type," but I just don't see "tackle feet" from him (maybe he can cut it on the right side, but the two are really starting to become interchangeable in the modern league in terms of necessities for proper pass pro). Cam Erving almost fits the bill, he's a bit lighter than Coach D's preference (by about 10 pounds), but has the room to add that without much difficulty and I think his athleticism is a little over-hyped, but it's still solid enough to get the job done. He needs technical refinement (handwork specifically, his initial punch needs to be stronger/more-authoritative which should hopefully help him latch on better) and I'm going to be watching his awareness heavily this season. There were times in the NC game where Dee Ford was beating him like a rented mule because Erving just couldn't get an effective hand on him. Biggest thing that scares me with him right now is arm length and that may well be what/why I'm seeing him struggle with his handwork (simply doesn't have the length to get there in time with his kick-step.

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Someone I can tell you our coaches will likely take a shine to because of his attitude (work ethic, football IQ, demeanor, etc), but if he's ever to be a starter in this league he's going to need the weight room something fierce is Ty Sambrailo from Colorado State. Doubt he's a Year One impact guy, but if Dunlap plays well and re-ups for another 2 or so seasons, he could be someone looked to to groom for the future.

Also, I don't think he'll declare, but if you can look past where Texas Tech's scheme can tend to make his technique look worse than it is, there's a lot to like about LeRaven Clark as someone Joe D could work with. Flexibility is really the thing I'll be watching for. I swear I've seen flashes of him getting proper knee bend and getting low enough - it's not that he's bending at the waist, he just plays too high - part of which I think may be a product of scheme asking him to retreat immediately from the snap and catching his assignment rather than exploding into the man and engaging him. Add Tyler Marz to that "I like what I'm seeing early on but doubt he'll declare" group.

19. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    Yeah, Ervin's arm length is the reason i'd be skeptical he fits the Joe D type, as he's never drafted an OT with <35" arms.

I'd also add the Oklahoma OT's to that list...Darryl Williams/Tyrus Thompson (the latter probably being the better fit). Donovan Smith is another guy who I would definitely add to the "Joe D type", bigger, quick feet, and seems to have longer arms. Erik Flowers has some decent potential too if he can get better this year. I'd be so happy if we could sign Cordy Glenn when his deal is u though, he's so god damn perfect for Joe D's scheme.

I'll have to watch more of Sambrailo, but i've heard a lot of good things about him. He'd have to add quite a bit of weight to fit the ideal though, haven't seen if he has the frame though.

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    [​IMG]
    That's the best recent shot I can find that shows his frame. Lower body can definitely take some more, but the nice thing is he doesn't have rails for lower legs (I'm fairly confident he can take another 5 pounds of mass in his upper legs alone). Upper body can definitely fill out more, especially in the chest and shoulders. Looks similar (slightly scaled down by ratio) to Nate Solder's build coming out from the Buffs.

21. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    Oh yeah, on that pic, it DEFINITELY looks like he has some room to grow, some in the lower half, and he looks like his arms could stand to add some muscle. He also looks like he has some pretty solidly long arms.

Just watched some of Tyrus Thompson, and that dude must have some REALLY short arms, or else he's got really terrible techique.

22. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I don't know guys... I'm not really jazzed about the tackles in this class in general. Not for our purposes.

It's really early, but I'm thinking that our best course of action will be to pair a bridge player with a developmental prospect. Either extend King or sign a guy like Chris Hairston.

I favor Dunlap if he makes it through the season without any concussion problems.

23. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of this OT crop either, but there's always one or two guys at least every year that seem to put it all together for their last showing as a Jr or Sr, ala Greg Robinson/Eric Fisher/Lane Johnson etc etc. So we'll have to see about this class at OT.

I do like Dunlap though and think he's gonna get reisgned, and I think there's a legit chance that he can get something out of Becton, but that's been my guy for a while now, so we'll have to see.

24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I'm there as well - if for no other reason than continuity (OL have shown they can play well into their mid-30's provided they can avoid debilitating injuries).

I've been operating under the assumption (which I obviously can't speak for TT, but given what I've seen of him thus far I'm feeling safer in thinking he's got a similar mindset) that we're not going to be picking Top 15 (safe bet), and I wouldn't be surprised if our front office isn't pegging us as a return-playoff-team (so that's clear out of the Top 20). No Day One ready blue chip LOT prospect is falling that far unless he's got some major red flags (typically injury concerns).

This likely leads us to one of two paths - either go the route New England went and spend a premium pick (for an OT it might well have to be a 1st rounder, but we might be fortunate enough to get away with a 2nd - though it would likely have to be another situation where we trade up in the 2nd) on a guy with all the potential, but who quite obviously needs a redshirt year to fill-out/further develop (e.g. Nate Solder) or trust Joe D to adapt a guy who has less-than-ideal physical traits or some sort of physical shortcoming via technical training and scheme-adjustment (e.g. Cordy Glenn, Andrew Whitworth, David Bakhtiari).

There are certain pending free agents that if they aren't renewed by their current teams I could see D'Alessandris having an interest in (outside of the obvious Glenn - who doesn't hit FA until 2016 - and Hairston, there's also Bobbie Massie who it's sounding like is in a make-or-break season in Arizona).

25. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    Another guy that I have my eye on for free agents as a possible replacement is Marcus Cannon. Fits almost all of the qualifications (other than his arms being a hair over 34" rather than 35+). Big guy, who can really move with quick feet and solid blocking on the run.

I personally at this point dont think there's an OT i'd take in the late first round, especially for our scheme fit. A guy i'd keep my eye on is Germain Ifedi from TAMU, who's a great fit for the system, however he's gonna be a RS Soph and is highly unlikely to come out unless his stock skyrockets.

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I know y'all are in an O-line discussion right now (I agree with Kemp I think we re-sign Dunlap), but let me shift your conversation to what I think our biggest issues are going to be next year, and that's D-line, OLB, and CB again, and possibly SS.

Freeney is a FA, Flowers is a FA, Wright is a FA, Gilchrist is a FA, Johnson is on the fence I actually think he may end up getting cut, Kendall Reyes had a really poor 2013 season, Lissemore/Carrethers/Geathers I'm not really excited long term about any of them.

Is there a few defensive players you guys already have your eye on for us?

27. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I am putting off OLB and CB until I see what our guys look like this year. If Jerry and Melvin look good, then that makes the position a depth concern only. And if we resign Flowers or Wright or both, then that also becomes a position where we just maybe need to add a guy further back on the depth chart. Not that the depth isn't important, but I'm trying to spend my time on positions where we are more likely to need new starters. Which I view as center (unless Watt fits in there, in which case guard), left tackle, wide receiver, and safety.

There are lots of safeties of interest in this class, but I haven't watched a one of them yet. I'll eventually get around to Landon Collins (Alabama), Cody Prewitt (Miss), Derron Smith (Fresno), Kurtis Drummond (MSU), Sam Carter (TCU), Jordan Richards (Stan), and I'm sure a few others.

On the DL, I am hoping that we see enough out of the guys we have now to make it purely a depth concern. Reyes is talented enough to rebound from 2013. But there are plenty of names of interest out there. Two that I've watched that are absolute monsters are Leonard Williams (USC) and Shawn Oakman (Baylor). Those two look like top 10 blue chippers. And there are others: Michael Bennett (OSU), Carl Davis (Iowa), Hank Anderson (Stan), Danny Shelton (Wash), and a bunch of underclassmen.

So far, almost all the guys I've watched intently are in this thread. I'll add my thoughts on others as I get around to them.

28. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    One note on Glenn-- I don't think he qualifies as a guy with physical shortcomings that Joe worked around. To the contrary, he's an extraordinary athlete and a hulking physical specimen. His issue coming out of Georgia was limited experience at tackle. Which is why he looked lost there early in the 2011 season, but much improved in the second half of the year.

29. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    His shortcoming was technique, which is one of the things LBC mentioned. Hand placement and footwork needed some work.

30. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    As for the free agents, we have quite a bit of cap space after this year (IIRC its ~30mil). So i'm not too worried about them. We have the money to resign Flowers/Wright/Gilchrist, if we even want to resign Gilly. Freeney's probably gone unless we get him on a cheap 1 or 2 year deal. I thin that Jarrett Johnson is probably gone unless he takes a rather large paycut. But we loaded up young talent at OLB pretty good. I'd likely want to add another OLB in the earlier mid rounds though. So I'm pretty confident that we're set at CB, if nothing else we resign one of those two with Verrett opposite Wright/Flowers with Williams in the slot. NT could definitely be an issue. Lissemore, other than the end of last year, has never proven himself to be a starter. Carrethers is more of a spot player than a starter IMO.

DL is something that i've looked at a bit. But this is about as bad of a class as it gets as of right now. The only potential NT type I'm interested in is Ellis McCarthy, who's kind of in between DE and NT at 6'4" 330ish with VERY goood movement skills. He's got a lot of work to do though.

Its hard to judge the DL off of last year, epecially because of how poorly Cam Thomas played, but also how little help they had from the OLBs. Getting back our core of OLB's and starting Lissemore, who showed very well at the end of last year. I think the DE's will be fine with added support. I'd add a guy in the 3rd or 4th round, but probably not higher than that, unless Reyes has a worse season than he had last year.

Positions that I see as our biggest needs this upcoming year...are C, NT and WR, potentially LT as well, but like i mentioned before, I think we resign Dunlap for at least a few years, he's Joe D's guy. Hardwick's likely gone since his contract is up and he's been debating retiring the last 2-3 years regardless. We need to find a replacement for him. I'd watch Isaac Seumalo (sp?, the C/OG from Oregon state), Hroniss Grasu from Oregon, maybe Reese Dismukes (if his character stuff checks out). At WR, there's a legit chance that Floyd only sees this year, and we need some better depth behind him. This is a area I could see us go in the first, with a guy like DeVante Parker, maybe even a guy like Stefan Diggs. Maybe Montgomery or Sammy Coates who are both explosive guys after the catch that can get deep to compliment the more possession type receiver in Allen.