1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Kemp17's Prospect Breakdowns

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Jesse Kemp, May 27, 2014.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    He did have some footwork concerns, as I recall; plodded a bit - his lateral agility testing scores backed that up as well. Few had doubt that he could play tackle, but there were many convinced his future was largely as a RT because he just didn't have the feet and there were concerns about his ability to handle NFL-caliber speed rushers.

2. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Yes, but high end physical tools were there to work with.

3. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Maybe we were just reading different people and had different takes. Some of the guys I really respect had a much higher view of his talent and potential. Greg Cosell comes to mind-- he had us taking him in the 1st round and predicted he'd be a great left tackle in the league.

4. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I'm waiting on more tape before I wrote anything, but I really like Seumalo from what I've seen so far. My favorite of any potential pivots I've watched.

5. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    [​IMG]

Kicking off my previews of defensive prospects with Carl Davis, DT from the university of Iowa. Davis is listed at 6'5" 315 lbs and wears #71. He saw action in 16 games between 2011 and 2012 before taking over as a starter inside this last season. For this early look, I watched his games vs. Michigan and Ohio State.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/carl-davis

Positives:
    • Plays with a lot of power in the running game, including excellent pad level, leg drive, and leverage.
    • Capable of stalemating double teams and very tough to seal one-on-one.
    • Will occasionally reset the LOS, forcing RB's to redirect in the backfield.
    • Possesses the length and awareness to bat down balls at the LOS.
    • Possesses the coordination to stunt.
    • Strong enough to arm tackle runners; very tough to break his tackles.
    • A major headache for teams trying to run between the tackles, especially on the goal line.

Negatives:
    • Not quick, especially as a pass rusher.
    • Doesn't disengage from single blocks as easy or often as you'd expect.
    • Very stiff when he finds himself working on the edge.
    • Occasionally overpursues vs misdirection.
    • Did not see him sniff out screens.
    • Not much of a factor when teams are running outside the tackles.
    • Lacks the quickness to close on players in the backfield for negative plays.

Bottom Line: I'm certainly open to the idea that Davis can continue to develop as a prospect, but he initially strikes me as a high floor "what you see if what you get" type of player. He isn't going to bring a lot of pressure or make a lot of tackles for loss, and he isn't going to pursue offensive players outside the tackle box. What he is going to do is clog rushing lanes inside, force action to redirect, and create opportunities for other players. He was dominant in that regard vs. Michigan and less so vs. OSU (though the Buckeyes were running much less between the tackles where he thrives). It's important to note that I saw him exclusively line up inside (0-3), so a projection to the 5 is just that-- a projection. But I don't see why he couldn't be a NT/DE versatile player in a 3-4. Moving forward, I'd like to see him grow in his strengths as a run defender, as he was noticeably worse against better competition (OSU), as well as flash at least a little something as a pass rusher. There is potential there for an effective bull rush. If he fails to develop in that regard, I think we're talking about a 4th rounder in today's NFL. But if he can, he vaults into the top 50 for me. We'll see.

6. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I've decided that Ty Sambrailo at LG in Joe D's scheme is Mhhhh! He's an amazing fit for this offense. Him getting off the ball and to the 2nd level is amazing to watch.

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    So... I'm putting Ingram on notice. Produce at least close to worth of your draft position or I'm starting the campaign and driving the Eli Harold bandwagon. The guy is what everyone seems to want (and think) Vic Beasley to be if only Beasley could overcome his shortcomings (which I'm becoming more and more skeptical that he actually will). Yeah, yeah, I'm know... Virginia is an ACC defense. I don't care, there are several legit NFL prospects on that squad.

8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I love Rashad Greene. I think he could be the perfect complement to Keenan Allen going forward and a great fit in this offense.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Jesse, validate me here because I literally just sat reading the analysis of someone I generally see eye to eye with one OL prospects and my jaw was dropped the entire time because he was trying to sell Sean Hickey as a 1st-2nd round talent. Is there some tape of his I've missed seeing, because every time I've seen him play he looks plum average with limited, if any, room for growth (frame is basically maxed out and with that he has barely what I would call functional pro strength). I'm seeing a guy who's a Day 3 prospect, maybe lucky to slip into the late 3rd if a team takes a shine to his attitude and personality traits.