1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kentwan Balmer (NC) WAS a Charger already!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Feb 18, 2008.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Check it out. He was already a Charger! Is this a sign of fate? (remember Buster Davis was a Charger?) This guy is on like 5 mocks I've seen and I think this guy would be a great pick on the DL. 6'5" 300. Can play inside or outside in a 3-4. I'm really liking this pick.

[​IMG]

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Can't play NT

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Doesnt have the build for a NT.
    He has a neck! hahaha

Gotta be like Jamal and Lorenzo Neal, a beer keg with legs.

4. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    The G-Men screwed NE all up by putting one of thier speed rush guys over the center...It created all kinds of mixs up for them...

Not that it would ever happen, just food for thought.

TBF

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The guy is a horse with the frame to put on more weight. He could play NT.

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This guy a Junior? If so he needs to stay in school another year. He doesn't look like a nose tackle to me. At that height he needs another 30 pounds or so. I don't see how he has the leverage for nose tackle with his build.

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Many of the scouts said he could put on more pounds. I read the guy is a beast against the run. Not the stout 6 foot bowling ball Jamal types but a beast none the less. I think he'd fit right in. Jamal is getting banged up and Castillo is always frickin hurt. We need some horses up front to stuff the run. I think he will be available at 28 too. Many mocks are really high on this guy. Then again, they were high on BMW (Bust Mike Williams) too.....:no:

8. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Anybody think Igor could make the switch to nose, as John Henry strong as he is? Might be easier to slot an end to replace him than come up with a good nose in this year's draft from our position.

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    As strong as Igor is, he's not going to command double teams like Jamal does. In the 3-4 we need a big body at nose that is going to force the oline to regularly double team the middle freeing up the guys on the outside Igor, just wouldn't be that guy.

10. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I figured he'd beef up some. Right now is trimmed for DE, but just a thought.

11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    From what I've read about him he doesn't have the greatest motor and if that's true, then you can forget about him. AJ won't pick him.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Then again, when I brought up Cromartie back in 2006, many of you said he wasn't a good pick. I agree though if AJ doesn't see that he can make an impact, he won't be picked. In A.J. I trust. I'm just speculating like the rest of you. I can rest assured he won't go Bobby Beathard on us....

13. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I loved Cromartie, if there's one thing that's been apparent in AJ's draft picks is that he picks guys with great worth ethics, and on defense he loves to get guys with great motors. AJ has shown he'll take a risk on a guy who's been injured or is considered raw because they have great work ethics. So far I haven't seen him pick a guy who didn't have a great work ethic and I don't think that will change.

14. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Igor could put on 20 lbs and do it.
    Personally i dont think he is that great of a DE. I mean, he is ok....average.
    Castillo imo is worlds better but gets dinged up lately.

Jamal was 305 lbs when we were playing a 4-3 and got bigger to play NT.

15. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Well there ya go, maybe thats why he hasnt been in a hurry to draft a NT the past few years when we all have been saying we should.

Plus we have McKinney. Maybe DE is the possition we need instead to take Igors place :lol:

16. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Remember people said Jamal was too small to be a NT, but he bulked up just fine and was probably better.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Link?

I watch quite a bit of ACC ball, living only 30 miles from UVa & being a VT fan. I've never seen any indication that Balmer takes any plays off. I'm not pimping him, just haven't heard that knock.

I think Igor could make a good NT with more bulk. He's certainly strong enough & plays with a mean streak.

If we do look more towards DE, we oughtta take a look at Kendall Langford out of Hampton. It's a small school, but the kid is a baller & very athletic. Here's what draft dog had to say about him:

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/kendall_langford.htm

He might be available a little later if we somehow manage to pick up a 2nd.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Strengths:
    Good size with a large frame and room to bulk up further...Extremely strong...Very athletic...Has pretty good speed and quickness...Nice range and does a good job in pursuit...Can hold his ground at the point of attack...Offers some versatility...Is coming off a great senior year...Can contribute on special teams...Still has upside.

Weaknesses:
    Inconsistent and has a questionable motor...Does not have great bulk...Has some trouble shedding blocks...He is slow to read and react....Plays with poor leverage at times...Considered to be an underachiever prior to 2007...Could be a 'tweener.

Notes:
    The light finally seemed to come on and he started to fulfill his immense potential as a senior...He could project to either tackle in a 4-3 or end in a 3-4...Has all the physical tools you look for but will need to stay motivated and play like he did this past year..Exceptionally talented but a risky prospect who is a boom or bust type.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/kentwanbalmer.html

I haven't seen him play so I have no idea if it's true or not.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I saw no letdown in him during the games that I saw. But UNC isn't a school that I watch as closely as UVa & VT.

I've got my eye on Kendall Langford. Wanna see how he does at the combine. :yes:

20. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    This Langford guy looks very impressive. I think we can move Igor inside and go after Balmer or Langford. I think both will be ballers at the NFL level. Haven't seen either one in a game so I'm just going off reports and what others have mentioned. I know A.J. and Mix have their eye on probably both of them. Balmer I saw on yet another Mock. I think he would be terrific for us. That questionable motor crap is just that, crap. The same things have been said about McNeil and others. Hell, the so called "experts" said LT wouldn't be that great! Shows you how much these guys know.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Balmer really has only one year of good production at UNC, but he's big, strong, pretty quick, & has room left to grow. Langford has performed well at Hampton for four years.

I've been seeing Balmer mentioned at our #27 on several mocks.

22. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Either one could develop behind Igor until we move him inside.

23. JBerrier

JBerrier BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I think this is a draft of many good players and a few upper-end players. I think if we can trade our 1st round pick for a couple of 1st day picks, it will better fit our needs for good quality backups at positions like DT, OL and RB. If someone like Jonathon Stewart or Kenny Phillips falls into our laps, then maybe hang on to the 1st.

24. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, that would awesome if that happened. Hard to pass on either one of those studs. Either one would look in Bolts. In A.J. I trust!

25. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    The best value is probably going to be at RT.

Chris Williams - Vanderbilt
    Jeff Otah - Pittsburgh
    Gosder Cherilus - Boston College (my favorite)
    Sam Baker - USC

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Don't forget Carl Nicks OT nebraska

27. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I don't think A.J. will select a tackle in the 1st round. Don't think he ever has either (I think) We can get those big RT's in the lower rounds like we have in the past. Unless an absolute STUD falls to us, then I might change my mind. My feeling is this guys. I want to go Defense first, particularly the DT position then possibly safety. After watching how the Gnats dismantled everyone in the playoffs and the Cheatriots in the SB, you have to take note of what they did. Their DLine play was tremendous stuffing the run and putting massive pressure on the QB. Jamal is getting hurt and old and Castillo is always hurt. I'm ready to call him Luis "Glass" Castillo pretty soon. We are thin at the Dline as well. We need a game changing STUD on that DLine. That's why I'm still going with Balmer or even Langford. Defense wins Championships. This should not be overlooked imo. Gnats just proved that to us all.