1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Acee: Not drinking the Koolaid

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Acee: Seeing is not believing with the Chargers just yet
    by Kevin Acee

What I’m hearing around Chargers Park is compelling. What I’m seeing is exciting.

Antonio Gates is once again making the dazzling look common. Eric Weddle is around the ball so much, I think someone is feeding him the offense’s plays. Antoine Cason, welcome back. Second-round pick Kendall Reyes does not seem like a guy who is in his first NFL training camp. The defensive line, in fact, is perhaps as together as I’ve seen them this time of year.

And there’s more.

And I don’t care.

We’ve been here before. July never pans out in January.

Is it a sixth sense? Or just coming to my senses?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me eight times, shame on me.

And, you know what, it sounds like Gates feels me.

“We’re tired of being a team people speak highly of,” Gates said. “Our job is to go out and prove it.”

Yep, so Gates will understand my mindset then when I explain that I’m not picking the Chargers to win the AFC West and haven’t even decided if I’m picking them to finish second.

I like Denver and I really like Kansas City.

And I can’t get out of my head that left tackle Jared Gaither missing four of the first five practices is a bad omen that the future is going to be like the past in these parts.

It’s not negativity. It’s living in reality, recognizing that history sometimes portends the future.
    Look, I’m around this team a lot. I witness much of the players’ and coaches’ hard work. I absolutely marvel at their dedication.

Mine is simply a perspective that knows how difficult the task is. It’s a perspective gleaned, too, from seeing and hearing all the right things for years seemingly on end.

There is a new theme every year, always varying slightly but always with the same gist: A reason the Chargers have identified that this year will be different.

Through the first week of this training camp, I heard a lot of the same words I’ve heard before. But I will say I don’t know if I’ve ever heard those words delivered with the current level of enthusiasm.
    I’m having a tough time distinguishing if it’s passion or desperation.

“We’ve always been a close-knit team,” said cornerback Quentin Jammer, a Charger since 2002, longer than any other player. “But the enthusiasm coming into this camp is my reason for optimism. Guys are really, really excited. I’ve never seen this level of excitement.”

Absolutes like “never” are thrown around by players the same way as everyone tends to drop them into conversation. (See how I did that? Everyone?)

That doesn’t mean it’s not believable in this case, just that we need to dip our toe and not just dive into the pool of believability.

I will say I have never seen center Nick Hardwick talk the way he did on this subject, not just the words but the way he said them. I felt I was letting him down by not turning around and running straight through the locker room wall.

“It’s a good blend of veterans – and not just veterans who have been here; veterans who have had success elsewhere,” said Hardwick, a Charger since 2004 “And you’ve got young, hungry kids. And I’m old enough to call them kids. To me, it seems there has been an influx. I don’t know what happened, but at some point the team just completely changed over.”

Hardwick pointed out the shared traits of toughness and knowledge that seem to permeate the cast of new characters. There clearly was an emphasis on bringing in the kind of players who knew how to win. Among the dozen veterans signed since the end of last season that are expected to play significant roles in 2012, eight have been to the playoffs in past four years.

Philip Rivers sees it as a convergence of forces – the new guys he says bring intensity and the combined experiences of those Chargers who have been working hard yet falling short.

“There’s a little more of an edge, a little more hunger when you’ve been out of it for two years and you’re fed up with it,” Rivers said.

I told him about my skepticism, how it’s hard to buy in after all these years. He affirmed my skepticism but then immediately refered to the drought John Elway endured before the Broncos won Super Bowls XXXII and XXXIII.

“They did in Denver for 14 years, then they won two in a row,” Rivers said. “I’m not saying that from a quarterback standpoint. I’m not saying I’m in his class.”

What he is saying is that you don’t know if it’s all going to come together until it does. Or doesn’t.
    I buy that. Maybe the Chargers will make it to the Super Bowl. If so, I will find it satisfying to write about how the sum of their experiences played a factor in this group finally playing for the trophy.

My confidence in Rivers’ ability to move an offense and lead a team can’t be shaken. I believe Norv Turner can be the head coach of a champion. Healthy, this defense can make enough plays to win enough games.

For now, I’ll watch and listen with my arms folded and the same look on my face that my wife gives me when I tell her I’ll get to the yard work soon.

2. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    I stopped reading after he slobbered over Speed Bump

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Can't say I blame him.

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Kevin, there might be some Kool-Aid left in Jonestown...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Yet another "journalist" that gets paid by the word.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Exactly. Here is the Cliff Notes version of the article:

Acee: Seeing is not believing with the Chargers just yet
    by Kevin Acee

Blah blah blah, words are cheap. I'll believe this team is better when I see it. Until then, STFU.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Some more fluff...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/07/29/mmqb/index.html#ixzz227qcRmYH

Thursday: San Diego (San Diego, Chargers' practice facility)
    The Chargers are mad as heck, and they're not going to take it anymore -- or so they say.
    Sometimes, I've seen the roll-the-eyes treatment from Charger players when they hear something blunt GM A.J. Smith says that they disagree with. So I'm in Smith's office before heading out to interview some players after a morning walkthrough, and he's talking about the differences in the 2012 team from previous ones. And he goes further than I thought he would, talking about the Chargers' 17-15, playoff-less existence over the past two seasons.
    "We have lost our respect in the league and our credibility in the league,'' he says. "We were an elite team. You miss one year in the playoffs? OK. You miss two? You deserve everything that's being said about you.''
    I thought it was strong. Very strong. There's no question Smith, who spoke passionately, as he often does, has thought about how inexcusable it is for a team with San Diego's talented pedigree to twice miss the playoffs with a quarterback as formidable as Philip Rivers and a supporting cast that was playoff-worthy. I was anxious to see how the players would react.
    Maybe they didn't want to rock the boat. But listen to three vets respond to the we've-lost-our-respect-in-the-league line.
    "Amen,'' said center Nick Hardwick.
    "It's the truth,'' said tight end Antonio Gates. "It's not acceptable, not negotiable.''
    "That's the mentality we have right now,'' said Rivers. "Not being in the playoffs the last two years, we've developed that feeling, and our feeling right now is we've had enough. We have a little edge about us now. But, you know, you've just got to go out and do it."
    This is probably the first time since 2006 -- when the Chargers were coming off a third-place finish in the division -- that San Diego hasn't been locked into preseason Super Bowl contention. This is an odd year in the division. Denver has Peyton Manning. Kansas City has a formidable defense and a healthy quarterback. Oakland has a new everything. The Chargers like the pack. They've been the lead dogs for so long, and it's brought them nothing but lots of regular season wins and lots of January heartache.

...I do like the mentality though.

8. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    'thats why you play the game. Hello, you play to win the game"
    Thanks Herm we'll take it from here.

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    U mean Cason?. I've never given up on the guy. Contract yr, it is now or never for him. I say he performs, it is Jammer I am most concerned about, Gilchrist could start for him by game 6. Then who have we got?, just Wright? we are short at corner no doubt about it.

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Speed Bump is his appellation for all-pro safety Eric Weddle

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Ah... thanks. Weddle a speed bump, I kinda get where he is coming from but Weddle came on a bunch last year. With a pass rush Weddle will really come into his own this season and start catching those balls he shoulda caught before. 9 INTs I predict.

12. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    I think Weddle had a good last few games and it had nothing to do with his overrated ints or tackles. He strikes no fear, shoulder tackles before getting trucked or leaped, doesn't break up plays that aren't gift ints, and is worthless on safety blitzes. But hey, he stopped being so hesitant at the end of the season so there is hope. My favorite thing about him is he invented the lesbian scissors tackle.

Oh and Cason eats bags of penises

13. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    Cromartie died for this man's sins
    [​IMG]

14. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Superbowl? I am just hoping we can make the playoffs. I would be stoked to make a wildcard, I would be ecstatic if we could win the division. This team is a mystery to me. I am not very optimistic.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The last time I believed in anything written or spoken about the Chargers was when Tommy Prothro was hired. I was shortly afterwards cured of this malady and just wait for the games to be played. I still have hope but I'm not a kid anymore and reality has set in.

16. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Damn you beat me to that reference:mad:

• Like Like x 1