1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Kevin Acee preparing fans for Arians signing?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 8, 2013.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Hey! I just came back from Pub Trivia where we cashed in a free pitcher of beer (and this place doesn't quibble at your ordering the 11% 5 Golden Rings Belgian Ale as your free pitcher!) and won another tonight. I'm lucky I can string together proper sentences with correct spelling and punctuation. You can't expect me to be completely innovative here.

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    That's a better defense of plagiarism than Doris Kearns Goodwin's! :) Okay, enjoy the spoils of your victory. :confused:

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    it doesn't matter who the Chargers hire as head coach, there is going to be someone who doesn't like him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    Eyeballing this thread, I don't seem to be reading a lot of posts with passionate reasons why we should hire Bruce Arians, more like reasons he wouldn't necessarily be a bad hire.
    My dos centavos: Our division got alot more competitive last year with Payton, and probably this year with Reid. Good chance the only AFCW dog (outside of us) next season will be the Raiders. We need a coach that is going to personally WILL our team into becoming firey competitors on the field and instill a sense of dread into any team unlucky enough to draw them on the schedule. As has been pointed out, the Turner-coached Boltz weren't that. If Arians can do that for the Boltz, I'm fine with it. But personally I'd rather see someone more youthful, maybe gamble on the hire a bit more, with more of a potential upside. How about Seahawk's DC Gus Bradley? Would he fit the role?
    Edit: Listening to interview above, Arians says their goal in the Raven's loss was to keep it a one score ballgame going into the 4th quarter, "that's been our MO all year to win ballgames, and we didn't catch a few balls and it didn't come our way."
    Aaarrrgghhh. He sounds exactly like Norv in the interview.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    With Zimmer, it's a slam dunk winner!!!!!

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Arians may very well be a "lot like Norv"....... his demeanor, his relationship with players, his penchant for the deep ball. There just isn't a large enough sample size of his HC "career" to get an accurate bead on what this guy would do. I can't say that I would hate the hire, but I wouldn't be excited about it either. To many ??? about him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Well, by age 42, Norv had been offered a HC job (admittedly, with a bad team...bad W/L record)
    At age 52, Norv was offered a 2nd HC job (admittedly, with another bad team...bad W/L record)
    At age 57, Norv was offered a 3rd HC job (better team, good W/L record...surprise, surprise!)

To the best of my understanding, at 60, Arians' only partial season of HC comes due to Pagano's illness.

The Chargers need someone young enough to be around awhile...and with a better resume...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    ^^^ What he said.
    Watching the Seahawks/Skins game, then seeing the mike'd up the game on the 1/2 hour recap on NFL network last night bummed me out.

Gawd, how fired up and well-coached and tough and confident were those Seahawks?

Then I thought about the Boltz the last few years and it really made me want to self-medicate.

(And yeah, I know there are some teams that are not all rah rah and get the job done, the 49ers come to mind way back when Seiffert ran the team. But I think SD at least right now needs a AAA-type alpha male coach running the show. I'm surprised I haven't heard Jack del Rio's name come up. He could bring his axe and have Telesco draft an extra kicker in the late rounds, just in case).

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    As we've seen, being an excellent coordinator doesn't mean you'll be a good HC...... the jobs require a different skill set.

In some ways, it might be less risky to hire a college HC with no NFL experience, then it is to promote an NFL coordinator with no (or extremely limited) HC experience.

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I don't think the risk is any different either way. There are successful and failed HCs that originated from both ranks.

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Norv being offered HC jobs at 42, 52 and 57 did not mean he was going to be a good HC. Arians not getting a shot until now does not necessarily mean he'd be a bad HC.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    To me, the ability to put together a good staff, is almost as important as what motivational, or game day skills a coach has. A career coordinator hasn't had to put together a staff, or decided what personnel to keep on the roster...... a college HC has.

Most college coaches that fail in the NFL can't adjust to the culture change (or spotlight). Many NFL coordinators fail as HCs because they don't have the necessary skill set to be a HC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    No, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be bad, but it's certainly a reason to be skeptical.

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    This is all true, and you're probably spot on for the main reasons why the ones that fail fail, but that doesn't negate the fact that there are many examples of failures and successes that originate from both ranks.

16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Of course not.
    It just reflects the views of those doing the hiring in the league.
    The fact that Toyota routinely outperforms Ford, re. the views of thousands of Consumer Reports
    subscribers does not necessarily mean that if I buy a Toyota, it will be more reliable.
    But that doesn't mean that I attach no value to the information.

(Tom Brady was the 199th pick of the 2000 draft, but if you offer to swap #199 this year, I'll hold on to the 11th) ;)

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I want Mike Nolan but that's mostly b/c I hope he'd bring back the suit-on-the-sideline look again if he got another stint at HC :inlove:

All joking aside, I'd be excited for Zimmer or Greg Roman.

Whisenhunt's name has been tossed around a bit too. I think my Father would literally rise from the grave to bitch slap someone(s) if he got the HC nod in SD. He HATED him. :laugh:

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    What about if he was the OC? Could see potential for Arians - if hired - looking to the guy that replaced him in Pittsburgh (Wisenhunt). Would that be enough to induce Syd's Zombie Father?

19. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Zimmer is a guy I really like but I've heard the guy has been interviewed 11 times and still hasn't been offered a head coach position. That worries me as well.

I really like Greg Roman, under him the Niners were 1st and 2nd the last 2 years in offensive turnovers. He helped set an NFL record in fewest turnovers in a season, just 10 in 2011. I think we all know how bad we've been in this category the last few years. And they also jumped from 26th ranked offense in 2011 to 11 in 2012, mostly because of Kaepernick at QB the last 7 games.

The gameplan Roman and Harbaugh used in Foxboro in that Sunday Night game was brilliant. Everyone in that stadium thought the Niners were gonna come out with that power running style, especially in that weather. And they came out slinging the ball. Roman isn't afraid to take shots, and that's why I think he'd be the best candidate because of what he has learned from Harbaugh. The aggressiveness, the leadership, etc. He is young as well, so I think having a young GM in place for 4 years, should translate to us having a young head coach in place for about 4 years, and I think Roman can build a staff with the energy to get this team into the playoffs in the future.

But, more I hear about Arians, more I think we'll hire him. Just listening to him in that interview, sounds as if he knows he'll get the job. I hope this isn't the perfect fit he's looking for. This will be the Jared Gaither of coaches, which means it will fail miserably and he will fool us!

20. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Hah, probably!

Im wondering if all this Arians talk isn't just a smokescreen or filler talk... He just doesn't seem like a good fit to me.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

21. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,177
    The word is out from local news sources this morning that Lovie Smith is boarding a plane and heading to San Diego for an interview. Not that it means anything...

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Nolan?
    I thought he dressed like this on gameday...
    Screen shot 2013-01-11 at 10.01.11 AM.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    KA says we interviewed Gus Bradley last night.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    So, the answer to losing our OLBs to free agency is to switch to the 4-3?....... interesting solution. ;)

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    KA keeps insisting that a Lovie hire doesn't automatically mean a switch to the 4-3. Either he's been privy to a direct quote of Lovie softening his stance or he hasn't done his due diligence and read the direct quotes where Lovie has said that he doesn't think very highly of the 3-4 formation.

All this 3-4 v. 4-3 stuff is pretty much bunk anyway, as the future of the league is the hybrid type defenses that Baltimore, Seattle, Arizona, and to lesser extents New England and San Francisco (in terms of formations, not performance) run. Buffalo's going to be able to be added to that mix this season. You don't fit the players to the scheme (which is my biggest reservation about Lovie), you fit the scheme to maximize the talents of your players.

• Agree Agree x 1