1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Burnett and Stephen Cooper - Inside force

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 4 hours ago

8-17-2010

A year removed from a scary neck injury, inside linebacker Kevin Burnett could be even more effective than he was last season.

SAN DIEGO – Kevin Burnett doesn’t want to make excuses.
    The 6-foot-3, 240-pound inside linebacker admitted in a separate interview the neck injury he suffered in last year’s preseason finale against the 49ers was the scariest of his career.
    But while he admitted, in general, a nagging injury often does hinder a football player, he avoided it as a justification for what was a solid season despite his physical limitations (he made 83 total tackles and 2.5 sacks in 11 games). The NFL is a bottom-line industry, he said.
    “You play football. You go out there, play as hard as you can and let the chips fall where they may,” Burnett said. “You prepare, you do everything that you can do. The only thing to do is go out there and play, and that’s the easy part.”
    His professional approach will not change now that fellow ILB Donald Butler will miss the season because of an unfortunate Achilles injury. Burnett already was working with the first defense, but he’ll play an important role in the middle with one less player at the position.
    “I think you do everything that’s within your power every day to get ready to be the best player that you can be,” Burnett said. “If you need extra motivation, then you’re in the wrong business.”
    A standout last preseason after he spent the first four years of his career in Dallas, Burnett again made a mark against the Bears, recording five total tackles, a sack and a quarterback hurry.
    San Diego blitzed from several positions in the 25-10 win, sacking Chicago quarterbacks six times. But more important, the Chargers disrupted the offenses’ timing. And the more visible the disruption the better, Head Coach Norv Turner said.
    “If you can get them out of their comfort level, they’re not going to play as well against you,” Turner said. “Kevin Burnett is an outstanding blitzer. A lot of times if you come off the edge, the quarterback doesn’t ever feel it. I think if you come up those A gaps, he not only feels it, he sees it.”
    Fellow inside linebacker Stephen Cooper believes the defense will mix its schemes and formations well enough to hinder offensive plans. That may include blitzing more up the middle.
    “I think we’re doing that a lot more this year. Last year we let our outside linebackers go a lot more than usual,” Cooper said. “This year with KB (Kevin Burnett) being so fast and so quick, he’s going to get a lot of pressure on the quarterback.”
    A Los Angeles native, Burnett’s comfort level in the locker room, around his linebacker buddies and in San Diego has leaped since this time last year. That camaraderie creates a healthy learning atmosphere, Burnett said. But the Chargers defense, in his opinion, exposes players for what they are.
    “(This defense) allows guys to go run around and make plays. You allow guys to showcase what they can do,” Burnett said. “This is a show-me game. It’s a lot of talk about, ‘Well I’m the best player,’ ‘Well I’m this,’ ‘Well I’m that.’ Well you have to continue to show that year in and year out. In this defense, if you’re not such a good player, it’s going to show. If you’re a good player, it’s going to show. It’s really up to you what you do in this defense.”
    And if Burnett remains healthy, that’s something those at Chargers Park could enjoy seeing.

2. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I'm excited about Burnett this year. He was doing so well in pre-season last year and then he suffered that really scary stinger / neck sprain in the last game...I don't think he fully recovered from that during the season. He already looks like he's getting back to form. He's our fastes lb and if he can put it all together, he might be a serious force inside for us.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Burnett did look very active the other night. Hopefully both the injury & the uncertainty associated with it are gone from his game this year.

I was really looking forward to seeing what Butler could do for this unit this year. Hopefully he rehabs well & will be ready to rock for next season.

Cooper - you have some things to prove ... or disprove, depending on your viewpoint.

4. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    i hope they both stay healthy for the season

5. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +348
    Just checking out my new sig, with this post. :lol:

But I agree, hope these two can stuff the middle, and stop the run! :flag:

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It would be great to have some real punch at the ilb positions. The more places they can bring the heat from the better, keep em guessing and good things will happen. ALL ABOARD.

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Nice read. Id like to point out tho that I havent heard much at all about LB blitzes rather more aobut secondary/corner blitzes alot. I still have yet to get a chance to see the Week 1 game so I cant say how much the majority of blitzers were commin from.

8. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    thats what im talkin bout man, ive been raving about this guy since i saw he was on the udfa list for us, everyone said he might make the ps, u beat me to him, so i took stuckey.LANG IS A BEAST

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    When it is your neck involved, everyone in the NFL will remember Mr. Daryl Stingley. Quadraplegia would just bother the crap out of me. He seems to be recovered and ready at this point and that is good news for us, indeed.

10. Haterproof2020

Haterproof2020 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    OUR LINEBACKER CORP LOOKS BANANASSSS THIS YEAR AND SO DOES OUR D-LINE. WE MIGHT ACTUALLY GET TO CHANT YOU CANT RUN FOR LONGER THEN 15 SECONDS AGAIN B4 BEING SHUT UP WIT A 20 YARD RUN LOL GO BOLTS :abq2::icon_toast: