1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Burnett = HUGE upgrade!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I am sold on this guy....and frankly, how could you not be...He is everything he was advertised to be in terms of a speedy, heady ILB who is always around the ball......but I didn't know he was that stout and could shed tackles like that...disrupt plays in the backfield, etc....In terms of physicality and sound tackling...he is the anti Whiff-helm.

Before someone reminds me that it's only pre-season....I know....but his talent is obvious. He is REALLY going to help this D.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Know what ain't an upgrade? Any of them full of sh/t babyd$&k offensive linemen. 4 sacks on Phil? No wonder he has so many kids.

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    See my Jeromey Clary ***** thread for that one....keep this thread positive.

4. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry cochese. Didn't even look at the threads. I am just...unsettled by the number of sacks. The secondary is lookin better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Just thru watching the game on NFL Network. Burnett looks like the real deal. Seemed like the only guy making tackles (with Weddle) at one stage.

Jammer is nails. He shut down Larry Fitz completely, the only way from there Jam is down, u shut down the best you are gonna kill all the AFC West receivers.

For everything Jammer is, Cletis Gordon is not. I've been a big supporter of his over the years but for a guy with how many yrs experience he sucked bigtime balls tonite. From the whiff on the KO return to his attempts at tackling on D, he has moved himself to the bubble imho. Clinton Hart, his INT apart, played terribly too. He needs to watch his back, the Turk may be nearby,

I really like Spillman, his hit on Doucet was perfect, bad bad call by Mr Ed and his moronic crew, the call on Buster was pure crap too.

Will reserve judgement on the O line for the other negative thread.

:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Dublin, right on the money as usual.

Burnett, Jammer, and Legadu get game balls. I actually thought both Vaughn Martin and Vasquez had pretty decent games. Nice leg whip by the young OL. But really I saw several plays where he hung very tough.

I am too lazy to post my negatives in another thread so I first got to call out Cletis Gordon and Cromartie as by far the worst tacklers on the team. Gordon caused that first long KO return and had some alarmingly bad tackle moments later in the game. These two form the foundation of the arm tacklers club. Run defense is still a concern. But other than that not so many negatives tonight.

I know they don't like to tackle in practice but there has to be some soft impact tackling drills this team can employ to get these guys hitting guys on the waist and wrapping up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Burnett was definitely a bright star on the defense tonight. What is up with our tackling? Cletis Gordon was crap, and Cro had an attempted tackle that made himself look foolish when the AZ player did a spin at the out-of-bounds line and gained an extra few yards.

P.S.
    Aside from poor tackling, damn our secondary looks mighty good.

8. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I really like what I'm seeing from Oliver. Broke up two passes in a row including the potential 4th down conversion.

I like Bennet too, I can tell why he use to be a pro bowler back in 01.

Our only major problem is the O-Line.. The right side is like the retarded brother of the offensive family.

9. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Bit Time 2009 Bright Spot thus far.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Can't we just cut Hart and Gordon already? Geez, they ****ING SUCK so badly.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Are you channeling B4L from last season? You know when you were getting so frustrated at him going into each thread and posting the same thing? :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Gordon and Hart had bad games, Hart might have had an INT but he was out of position and playing poor throughout it. Only issue is that I'm not totally sold on Gregory or Ellison or Oliver for that matter.

Burnett = Beast
    What were the Cowboys doing wrong that they didn't see the value in this guy?

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    OMFG, 2 threads, 2 posts. Gimme a break. I haven't even sniffed B4L territory, and don't tempt me.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    They just didn't want to invest a decent amount of $$$s in him preferred to spend their money elsewhere (from what my Cowboys friend has told me)

15. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    If you look at it as the Chargers 'trading' Igor to the Cowboys, straight up for Burnett, most Bolt fans would be pretty happy with the transacton.

Kevin can bring it.

16. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Definitely like what I saw from this guy last night. :tup:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Yeah, so far he's the real deal. My buddy Jeff (Cowboys fan) was NOT happy the Cowboys let him walk.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    What I mentioned earlier about what were they thinking, I also know he was buried repeatedly in the Cowboys depth chart and never really given a chance to start or play real amounts of time. So they never knew what they really had, the Cowboys have made this mistake numerous times before

19. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    He's mad and that makes me HAPPY!!!! :abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Burnett followed up what I thought was an adequate to good performance last week with a much better effort, particularly in the running game, this week. Burnett is showing that he can be a 3-down guy.

The real battle should be between Dobbins & Cooper.

21. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    The problem with Hart is that when he ****s up, he ****s up HUGE. He actually had some really solid stops last night, but his whifs always seem to come when he's the last guy for 30 yards.

Burnett was good last night. Definitely plays very fast as a linebacker... seriously almost looks like an oversized safety out there. I just hope he's got the strength to beat down TE's and power backs for four quarters.

22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    come on, I know you can beat B4L (both in quantity and quality)...Go for it!! :tup::icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I like what I'm hearing about Bernie, when the games start counting and Ron unleashes the dogs watch out.

24. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'm almost drooling just thinking about it... :wub:

Burnett is a stud and I love him. It totally makes up for the loss of Wilhelm's pretty :lol:

Bennett is a keeper - so glad he's getting a chance to play here - he's got this 2nd gear when in the open field - guy is FAST - looking forward to seeing it. :tup:

Spillman's hit was AWESOME! F those stupid *** refs for a shitastic call - that hit was money, shoulder to chest hit him so hard he knocked the kid outta his helmet. You wanna come across the middle and expose yourself? Go right ahead, we're gonna make you PAY! :icon_twisted::icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    After seeing that hit, Hart should just pack his bags & slink away. :yes:

26. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    to quote my favorite overplayed NFL/United Way commercial... The reason Spillman might not get the nod over Hart "Consistency Consistency"

One hit doesn't eclipse all the other things Hart does really well. It might give him a run for his money tho...

Wish we had more roster spots this year... there are some exciting guys stuck a little lower on the depth chart in SD :yes:

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I know where we can pick one up .... :yes:

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I agree with you and Spillman's hit was a perfect shot, there was nothing wrong with it. I'm getting to dislike this new NFL bullshit, way to much protection going on. Ask Lynn Swan how the game should be played.

29. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I agree, its like we've not had inside linebackers up to this time. Wish we could find one more thats a stud beside burnett and we'd be kicking butt. hOpefully dobbins or someone gets better. Got to have that speed though. Burnett is showing that.

30. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I am willing to annoint our 4 LB'ers the best in the NFL (among 3-4 D's)...Coop and Burnett will rack up the tackles, Burnett may get a few INT's. Phillips and Merriman will rack up the sacks and the QB pressures that will lead to picks and 3 and outs.

This team is my Super Bowl pick cuz of Rivera and this Defense. I
    honestly believe it has the talent to become a historic D like the 2000 Ravens or the '85 Bears.

After I looked up Burnett's Bio from Draftcountdown (a writeup done before the Cowboys drafted him) I knew AJ had picked another winner!

:abq2::abq1: