1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Burnett to Visit Bolts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Mar 2, 2009.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/17741/burnett_touring_california

Burnett touring California
    Monday, March 02, 2009
    Posted By Albert Breer 4:34 PM
    Cowboys linebacker Kevin Burnett -- likely out of Dallas' plans after the club signed Keith Brooking over the weekend -- is starting his free-agent tour in Oakland today, and is slated to visit the San Diego Chargers next.

Burnett served as a nickel linebacker and core special teamer for the Cowboys under Wade Phillips, notching 38 tackles, two sacks and three passes defensed last season. An athletic, 242-pound 26-year-old, Burnett's never played a full-time role on defense, something he'll likely seek now.

A former second-round pick, Burnett's from Inglewood, Calif., giving him a natural connection to the two clubs he'll visit this week. He'd likely project as a "Will" linebacker in Oakland's defense, and on the inside of the Chargers' 3-4, which still bears plenty of similarities to the defense Phillips ran there as DC from 2004-06

2. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    He'd be a nice upgrade for Waters, a LB'er who can cover is something we've missed since Donnie left.

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Upgrade for Waters!?........ what about an upgrade for all of our starting ILBs (esp Wilhelm) Cooper apart!!.

Seriously though I've no idea how good this guy is but he was a high draft pick, surely that says something. :icon_shrug:

Oh and I see Waters was a bad boy off the field according to Acee, wonder what he was up to?. Surely not part of this gang?.....

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Athletes-With-Illegitimate-Kids-The-Comprehensive-List-Blog-17243

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Sounds good to me... line 'em up... let 'em fight it out. :bolt:

5. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    yah im with you, i hope he doesnt get overpaid by the Raiders so he can come here and sign with a real team i asked a couple of my friends that are dallas fans they said he is pretty good

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

DSMA :tup:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Never really fulfilled his promise after being drafted in the second, the Cowboys just sorta overloaded on ILBs especially in the top rounds (they're also looking to trade Bobby Carpenter).

I'm always up to bring someone in and kick the tires

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    From ESPN

2008 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Grade: 59 | Key
    Alert: None

Comment: Burnett is a backup lionebacker who plays primarily in sub personnel. He's a better overall pass-defender than run-defender at this time. Against the run, he lacks quick recognition and good hand use. He shows limited vision in traffic, while attempting to read and play off contact. He will get narrow with his base in a tight area and can be chipped or washed off his path to the ball. He will take chances using quickness and tries to penetrate and make plays behind the line, which can jeopardize gap control and scheme design. He is an inconsistent tackler in space due to his late break down against quick change-of-direction runners. As a pass-defender, he can react quickly over the middle in short zones. He does a good job gaining depth to keep vision on routes in front of him. He can read and drift to take away throwing lanes or undercut routes across his area. He has good lateral closing ability on short throws. He is inconsistent with his burst when forced to change direction, but he accelerates well once he clears his feet to drive. He has shown good awareness to break up plays and arrive with good timing. He will provide good wrap on tackles when he's not isolated versus quickness in space. He plays primarily in dime personnel because he has good reactions as a pass-defender.

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Is he better in pass coverage than Wilhelm? if he is then he'll be an upgrade. I think if given a shot maybe he could become a better player but we'll see.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    BRB. Gotta pee.

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    why do you do that???? :icon_huh:

12. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I just like that they are looking into ILB......makes me secure that Wiffhelm will not be a starter, and I hope he is a June 1st cut....after we get one in the draft plus Burnett!!!

13. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Dudes is underrated, wouldn't anybody be if they played behind Ware?

I have a feeling he is a Bart Scott.

14. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Ya know, he may be a diamond in the rough that fell in the depth charts because Dallas overloaded at linebacker or he may be a scrub. It's up to our scouts to decide and then up to our office to confirm. If they bring him in maybe he could finally land a starting job cause all he's gotta do is punk Wilhelm and I'm not convinced that would be a difficult task.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Be an interesting camp if we sign both him and Phillips.

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    In a 3-4 he was an inside LB wasn't he? He's not a pass rusher or a former DE. He was behind Bradie James and Zach Thomas