1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Ellison new Bolt Safety

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Apr 26, 2009.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Me likey! :yes:

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    He's ok. He started for the Trojans due to injuries and got knocked off once Carrol found someone better. Then he became nothing more than a substitute once the team was winning. Here's hoping he can do some damage as a bolt.

4. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    How did this guy drop so far? He has ideal size and does damage when he hits someone. Hard to believe he is slow if he played for USC. This looks like another really nice pick.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    the guy is 227, if he's too slow he can put on 20lbs and be a MLB, or have him be a hybrid S/MLB :icon_shrug:

can he cover a TE?

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    If its a matter of weight then see what happens if he drops 10lbs

I think he's not that slow in pads

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    He ran a 4.8 at combine, 4.7 at his proday which is handtimed.

8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

True...but on the flip side, I can't imagine Rodney Harrison ran much faster. It's all about his closing speed on the field.

4.8 is prolly pretty accurate and that's slow...but I like the added hammer for run support.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    You don't have to be fast to be a bad *** safety, just in the right position.

10. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Harrison ran faster. His speed is Martin Bayless like.

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Maybe he did early in his career but i doubt he does now. With so many years in the league though Riodney was a much better player later.
    Ellison is just starting out and i do like him its just that he lacks speed and if he gets beat even a little, it is over with his lack of speed. I really like him im jus concerned about his speed but im sure they will utilize him the best they can knowing he lacks speed.

I mean one reason they moved Oliver to safety is because he didnt have great speed and he is way faster than Ellison.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I hope he doesnt hit with his helmet like this in the NFL. That could lead to some yellow and loss of green.

13. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Cato June made the move to LB. IMO, Kevin Ellison will have to as well.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Kevin Ellison ESPN Insider Scouting Report.

Production 2 2005: Appeared in first four games as a back-up before suffering a season-ending injury. (See durability) 2006-07: Started all 26 games recording 121 total tackles and three interceptions. 2008: Appeared and started in eight games recording 47 tackles, 3.5 TFLs, one interception, and seven pass break-ups.

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Excellent size; prototypical height and bulk for a strong safety type. Speed is below average for the position but adequate for such a big safety.

Durability 4 Durability is a concern, as he suffered a season-ending knee injury during the fourth game of the 2005 season. Also missed the final five games of the past season due to a knee injury that required arthroscopic surgery to repair the knee.

Character 1 Extremely intelligent football player. Is a leader and the quarterback of USC's secondary. Plays the game hard and with excellent awareness. A classic overachiever. Had one of the best Wonderlic Test (31) scores in 2009 class. Brother, Keith, plays linebacker for the Bills.

Recognition Skills/Toughness 1 A tough and physical DS/OLB 'tweaner. Possesses excellent instincts and diagnoses plays very quickly. Displays a sound understanding of how receivers are trying to attack defense. Is tough and physical for a safety. Very intense player with great attention to detail.

Closing Burst 3 Has shown the ability to line up in the box and be an effective run stopper from that spot when protected. Fills the alleys when coming from secondary level extremely fast. Also takes sound pursuit angles to the ball carrier. Will need to improve ability to take on and disengage from lead blockers in the NFL, though.

Fluidity 3 Occasionally has a problem breaking down to make open field tackles. But is aggressive and seeks contact. Shows very good upper-body strength. Will make some bone-jarring hits when filling from the high point.

Ball Skills 3 Opens his hips fairly well and it allows him to cover more ground than timed speed suggests. Gets good knee bend in backpedal. Also shows ability to stick foot in ground and change directions quickly. Ball skills are adequate but not great.

Run Support 4 Lacks ideal experience in this regard and does not possess good top-end speed. However, he has flashed instincts and quickness necessary to be effective on occasion.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    This pick made me
    [​IMG]

16. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Watch the Sixth Sense?

17. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
  18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Flatulate? :icon_huh:

:lol:

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
  20. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    jizz in his pants.

i'm tired of everyone whining and pining for another rodney harrison. okay, so the chargers draft a dude that only plays on special teams for two years. an exact rodney harrison clone would not help NOW. he was drafted in 94 and didn't even get on the field until 96. sure, he became a great player; but can they chargers wait 3 years for a guy like that to develop?

21. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Funniest post, ever.:lol:

22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He hits harder than Bam Bam.

23. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    He's a great college player. In terms of instincts, work ethic, intelligence, and physical nature ... you could argue he was the most productive player on that defense.

I'm not sure if he belongs at LB or S, but I'm pretty comfortable that he belongs in the league.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And leadership. his teammates & coaches speak very highly of that characteristic. Something we can really use on the D.

Hell .... the team in general. :yes:

25. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I like these high scoring wonderlickers.

If you are going to be slow you can't be stupid too.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I rather have a decent speed intelligent player than a dumb player who is very fast.

Given that he isn't that slow covering short distances intelligence is more important for an ILB and safety. An intelligent safety like kevin reacts faster seeing where the ball is going to go before it is released. That gives him a jump. A player who isn't as football knowledgeable or intelligent will start after the football is thrown.

The intelligent player gets there first.

Watch tape. You can see him move many times and set himself up so that he is already in the area while the ball is still in the air. Lining himself up for a big hit right when the receiver gets the ball.

Better than a fast safety running around like his head is cut off.

27. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Just like you would want your QBs intelligent to better read defenses and communicate on the headset with the OC and HC, you would want your ILB and S intelligent since they are the likely candidates now to wear the defensive headset and be the ones figuring out what the offense is doing.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Look at this f'n BEAST from his combine video. He was reportedly still recovering from injury during the combine also....and while that might not have been the ultimate reason for a slow 40 time...it couldn't have helped... I'm getting really excited to see this dude in pads and in live action the more I hear about him. USC players were gushing about his leadership and work ethic during the draft...and he has done nothing but wow coaches from what I've heard during the minicamps. I've never been a fan of all of the jerking off to 40 times (especially the fake handtimed pro day times)...and I can't wait to see this guy prove doubters wrong.

This guy is about the size of Donnie Edwards and is far bigger than any of the other top safeties in the draft. He's like having another LB on the field.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d80f360f4/2009-Combine-workout-Kevin-Ellison

29. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Hmmm, the Marlon McCree special. Play like crap, make one big hit on a defensless reciever and all of a sudden everyone loves you.

30. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    You sound like a USC hater...I'm not a fan of the Trojans either, but Ellison was a real good player for them who did a lot more than just knock the bejeezus out of a little Cal receiver. I haven't read anything ever about him "playing like crap".