1. Welcome to Los Angeles Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the Los Angeles Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Key match for this weekend

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,339
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80b16cca&template=with-video&confirm=true

San Diego RB LaDainian Tomlinson vs. Oakland defensive coordinator Rob Ryan
    Despite a relatively slow start to the season, it can't be overlooked that LaDainian Tomlinson has been lights out vs. the Raiders. In 14 career games, he has rushed for 1,709 rushing yards and 16 TDs. With 55 yards in this game, he can boast the best rushing total ever after 15 games against one opponent (Barry Sanders rushed for 1,763 yards in 15 games against Tampa Bay). The best TD mark in 15 games against one opponent is 19, set by Emmitt Smith against Arizona.

It's no secret that San Diego's offense starts and ends with Tomlinson. He makes plays running, receiving and passing, and he competes until the whistle. An injured big toe on his right foot has led to the slow start this season, but it's hard to imagine him having a bad game against the Raiders. Compounding matters for Oakland defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is that he must account for the improved play of QB Philip Rivers. Ryan has his work cut out for him. Expect a lot of run blitzes to keep Tomlinson from getting started.

San Diego has won nine consecutive games in this series, outscoring the Raiders in those games by a combined 149 points.

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Really?

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This year our O doesn't start & end with LT. a more accurate account would place Rivers in that slot. Even with LT slowed drastically, our offense has cooked right along. Ryan will have bigger problems than just LT this Sunday. We could easily hang another 40+ on them. :yes:

4. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,339
    Dont be a hater...

5. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,339
    From Claytons 1st and 10

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3608272

8. San Diego Chargers at Oakland Raiders: The only intrigue in this game is the ongoing drama involving Raiders coach Lane Kiffin. The fact that he's still coaching despite rumors of Al Davis' planning to fire him is amazing. Team officials are feuding with reporters and columnists. Despite the distractions, Kiffin has kept the team playing well during its 1-2 start. This game could be ugly, though. LaDainian Tomlinson usually plays his best football against the Raiders. During his career, he has averaged 122 yards and a rushing touchdown a game against them. With defensive tackle Gerard Warren expected to miss the game because of a pectoral injury, the Raiders have only two legitimate defensive tackles, and they might wear down if the Chargers' offense is on the field too long. The Raiders have a bye week after the game, but the rumors will keep circling that it could be a bye-bye week for Kiffin.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I smell blood. Well, blood & ****. :lol:

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Hey... I love LT. :yes: :bolt:

But saying this year's O starts and ends with LT is like saying this years D starts and ends with SM. :icon_tease:

8. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,339
    USA Today Preview

USA Today Preview

San Diego Chargers (1-2) at Oakland Raiders (1-2)

Sunday, 4:05, CBS (Jim Nantz, Phil Simms)

• Sheridan's line: Chargers by 7.

• Last meeting: The Chargers won 30-17 in Oakland to sweep the series by a combined 58-31 last season.

• Streaking: The Chargers have a nine-game winning streak vs. the Raiders.

• Attack at will: Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson is averaging just 3.3 yards per carry, but he'll finally have his full starting offensive line to run behind with C Nick Hardwick returning to the lineup. With QB Philip Rivers leading the NFL with nine touchdown passes, San Diego should have an explosive run-pass balance Oakland will find nearly impossible to contain for four quarters.

• Close to the ground: With San Diego's pass rush showing signs of life Monday night, don't expect this to be the week Raiders coach Lane Kiffin turns QB JaMarcus Russell loose. Oakland is running the ball on 62% of its snaps and should be around the same mark. When Russell does push the ball downfield, he must be wary of Chargers ballhawking CB Antonio Cromartie because the Raiders can't afford a negative turnover margin.

• Specialties: RB Darren Sproles was back returning punts Monday night after the Chargers had given the role to WR Craig Davis to reduce wear and tear on Sproles.

• Keyinjuries: Raiders: RB Justin Fargas (groin) is expected to miss another game; RB Darren McFadden (toe) is wearing a boot again this week but should play; DT Gerard Warren (torn pectoral) is uncertain.

• Need to know: Russell has thrown 62 passes without an interception this season.

9. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,339
    LT affects what the D will do when ever he is on the field. The Jets D choked up closer to the LOS on the Chambers TD. LT still has a very real impact on the offensive game, even with a boo-boo on his toe.

I did not read that as a slight ro Rivers or anyone. Teams have to plan for LT. They will realize very quickly they have to plan for Rivers as well. The boy is en fuego!

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    USA Today Preview

Let Cro return some punts. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    You're right man... indeed here is a part of my post from the "LT Concerns" thread.

Even if LT is the/a cornerstone of our offense... I think it goes without saying that he is less of a cornerstone than at any other point in his career. So at this time when some other guys are putting up stellar numbers and coming into their own, I just don't believe that the buck starts and stops with LT.

12. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,339
    I can agree with that... Of course LT has made a career of shredding the Raiders, and I think he will continue that this weekend...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,339
    USA Today Preview

Heeeeeeeeyal no!

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I hope you're right! :yes:

15. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Key match for this weekend...

ANYBODY standing in front of Alabama's NT Terrance Cody....

you guys gotta take in somma that game...

16. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    USA Today Preview

Cro will have something to say about that on Sunday.

17. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Maybel LT and the mighty mite can both shred the Turds, like the Detroit game last year :yes: With that tight coverage that Oakland favors, VJ and Chambers might see some bombs :bolt:

18. Cheapseats

Cheapseats The fight for LA is over....LA lost.

Ratings:
    +441
    I'm working on the assumption that LT will not be at 100% for this game...close, but not 100%. If Oakland puts 8 or 9 in the box Rivers will light them up big time. If we spread our offense and our reconstituted offensive line plays well, LT will still get plenty of yards and Sproles can split carries like a normal game (70% / 30% in favor of LT) I am expecting LT to break 100 yards and get 1 or 2 scores. I also expect at least 2 or 3 other Chargers to score (besides Kaeding).

Should be a good time!

Go Chargers!!!

:flag:

19. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,339
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3690072/?pg=9#spt_novacek_08

Coming off a big win on Monday night might seem like San Diego could stumble, but I doubt it. The Chargers aren't about to lose to an AFC West rival.

The one question I have about the Chargers is their defense. They made some big plays against the Jets, but will it continue? Can they stop the Raiders' run game and put pressure on JaMarcus Russell?

Oakland is going to to try and control the clock and keep the Chargers' offense off the field. That's easier said than done, though.

Pick: Chargers

20. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    when LT gets healthy, this is the offense i think we have been waiting for. If you box LT, then you better get on our receivers. If you play the receivers, your askin LT to beat you. I have a good feeling that its all gunna come together for us.

21. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    You're going to have to close one eye to see it. :icon_rofl:

22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    LT will shred them if the toe is close to normal. Otherwise he'll have the same trouble as he did even against the Jets, despite the two TD's. Once the toe is good, he'll shift his weight more forward again. He's not big enough to run as vertically as he his now. This team has shown itself perfectly willing to lie about injuries and the condition of players, so we'll see for ourselves Sunday what shape LT's foot is in. I'm thinking he will improve each game from here on out and finish the last half of the season with a flourish.

23. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I just think we are going to annihilate these fools for the 10th time in a row. That team is in such disarray, it's hilarious. This will be the game that get's kiffin fired by Cryptkeeper!

You're Fired!

[​IMG]

24. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,339
    I keep hearing people talk about how bad the Jets were, as if that discounts the win. Now I am not indicating that is what RC is saying, but entering week 3 The Jets had the 8th ranked run defense. They have a huge D line and are not a team you can just get a cake walk victory against.

Oakland right now has the 13th randed run D, They are giving up an average 3.8 yards per carry (Jets 3.1), 104 yards per game (Jets 86.7), Oakland is tiend for 27th in the league giving up 5 rushing touchdowns (Jets 14th with 3, we put 2 on them).

So yeah I think LT can run on them. I think the teo is slowing him, but he is still the best RB the Oakland team will have faced thus far.

P.s. Rivers leads the league in passer ratings. So the talking heads who expects him to fall on his face vs. Oakland better think again.

25. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,339
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080926

THE AIR CORYELL DIVISION

5b. San Diego Chargers
    5a. Denver Broncos
    Two killer offenses with emerging superstars at quarterback ... and embarrassingly bad defenses. In comparison, Denver's defense is worse, but San Diego's schedule is tougher; Denver doesn't have a runner like LDT, but they also don't have Norv Turner; Denver has a two-game lead, but San Diego hosts the rematch of the Ed Hochuli Bowl. (Note: what a shame that their inevitable 48-44 slugfest will happen in Week 17 after every fantasy league is already decided.) I'm leaning toward the Broncos right now for one reason: It just feels like it's their year. When it's your year, you start winning games because of premature whistles and shanked 41-yard field goals in perfect weather. It happened to the 2006 Bears and the 2006 Ravens and now, it's happening to the 2008 Broncos. So hold on for the ride.

(A great example of an "it's your year" game -- the Snow Game between the Pats and Raiders, not just the Tuck Rule play but Troy Brown fumbling the punt return on the game-tying drive and the ball ricocheting off the snow right to Larry Izzo. When stuff like that starts happening, you know it's your year. The Broncos aren't there yet, but the signs are encouraging so far.)

26. ATSGoldmine

ATSGoldmine BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    USA Today Preview

Since 2002 Bolts are 22-9 (71%) ATS after two straight weeks of +20pts on offense while the Raiders are 3-10 (23%) ATS after two straight weeks of +20pts on offense. Looks good for the Bolts this week.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,339
    USA Today Preview

Welcome to the forum!

28. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    USA Today Preview

Righteous, welcome aboard! :tup:

29. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Speaking of Rivers in the slot, wouldnt that be awsome to see rivers lined up in the slot again this year...and catch a TD pass...

30. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Typical crap from an ill-informed hack.
    Gates may even be more crucial to us in drawing coverage and clutch receptions. Once he's fully healthy, watch him go.
    And if we can consistantly throw to Chambers and VJ, either could be Pro-Bowlers.