1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Keys to the win Sunday

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Jan 10, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    1. pass rush on Manning all day long -here is the problem we love to rush 5 but in this game if we do Manning will take advantage of it, we have to come up with a game plan were we can rush 4 and be effective

2.the Dime package - we will have to be playing alot of Dime packages this time now that Harrison and Clark are back, this means one youngster has to play a great game Eric Weddle! he will be on Dallas Clark in the Dime situations and we will see how great of a player he can be

3. Our Safeties - Mccree and Hart must step up big time, we are goign to see alot of 3 Wide with Wayne,Harrison,Gonzo. they are goign to have to make some big time choices with them 3 goign down field and Clark coming up the seam

4. Our O-line pass block - we must pass block for Rivers like we did in the 2nd half of the game last week, i dont see the Colts having much of a pass rush with out Freeney but they might be trying to send Sanders on the Blitz..but if Rivers picks it up it he could be hitting Chambers and Jackson down field like last week.

5. Our O-line run block - with Lo Neal back i think he is going to serve a bigger part in this game then most are thinking, if we get LT his holes i trust Neal to be able to smack Sanders in his mouth and keep him out of LT's way, Sanders is their whole D and if we block him we will be in biz

6. Last but not least Rivers - he must come out firing, no slow start vs. the Colts, u have to come out and move the ball on the first drive. Also the long drives, we need those old Charger long drives and keep Manning off the field, espcially if he comes out hot we can keep him off the field and slow him down

LETS GO BOLTS!
    NORV KEEPS US CALM AND I LOVE IT!:icon_banana:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I think that it all comes down to the OL. If Rivers has time to throw, we will win. If not, we will lose.

I have the utmost faith that our D is going to get the job done.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I was reading one report that said, "River should struggle against a pass rush that amassed 28 sacks." :icon_rofl:

In the seven games since Freeney went down, the Colts have 12 sacks. In their last three games, the Colts have a grand total of 1 sack. :abq1:

4. NWFriar

NWFriar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree on the offensive line. They need to pass protect, but also open up some decent holes for LT. Maybe Neal's presence will help a bit. Against the Titans, LT was getting stuffed over and over again in the middle and the outside. It was killing me!
    I'm confident that the defense will contain the Colt offense and keep their scoring reasonable. However IMO, the Chargers will need to score 30+ to win. GO BOLTS!:tup:

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The defense simply has to react to what the Colt's are doing on the field. If they come out spread like the last time, then even if we half to burn a time out, go to the dime. Otherwise, there is no real reason to go away from the aggressive package we have been using. I would say pressure, coupled with jamming receivers at the LOS will disrupt the timing enough to screw up their passing attack and rattle Manning. The only way I make a big change in the defense, like going with the dime, is if they are spread out like the last game. To do otherwise is to allow Addai to run rampant. Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your post.

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Seems contradictory. You think that allowing the Colts to score 30 is "containing them?"

The Colts do not have the run defense that the Titans do. Besides, you saw what stacking the box got the Titans: almost 300 yards from Rivers and nearly 10 yards per pass attempt. If the Colts stack the box to stop LT, Rivers will have another big game.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    When good teams collide, the X factor will be field position, created through turnovers or via the return game. That was the case in our last meeting and it will continue on the road to Glendale!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Philip must be ableta account for Sanders...if he does that, I jes don't see how the will fail.

9. NWFriar

NWFriar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    "Seems contradictory. You think that allowing the Colts to score 30 is "containing them?""

It kinda is, actually. But the major factor that I see is the turf at the RCA dome. Without looking at stats, I know the Colts offensive numbers, historically at home, are huge. Giving up 25-30 points to them on their fast track is optimistic. The Chargers defense will need to hold them to a reasonable number, but the offense will need to be flawless and put up touchdowns and not field goals.

10. NWFriar

NWFriar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    More good news:

"Since 1990, the Chargers and Colts have played 11 times and San Diego is 7-4 in those games. The Chargers also lead the all-time series, 13-9. Manning’s career passer rating against the Chargers (71.3 in five games) is the lowest against any of the Colts’ opponents that he’s played more than once."

I wish I could find some stats related the Colts scoring numbers on turf vs grass against the Chargers. Any suggestions?:icon_shrug:

11. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86

also Colts have never won a divisional playoff game at the RCA Dome

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Score more points than the Fillies! :icon_tease:

Indy didn't perform too well against us on their turf in 2005. We like a fast track, too. Just watch how many defenders' ankles LT breaks on Sunday. He's gonna have a BIG day. :abq2:

13. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    i agree with u, i think he will get alot of touches sunday, someone take care of Sanders and LT can do the rest thats for sure

14. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I see LT having a monster game...175+ plus yards because the O-line will dominate. With Rivers now showing what he is made of, he will be efficent on Sunday with Gates matching another great Charger tight end play-off preformance (Kellen Winslow#80). The Backers will not only bully Manning into his usual bad throws but jam the LOS, making running room hard to find for Addai. At least 3 picks for the secondary and a making there receivers pay for every catch and incompletion:bow:

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Tell the offense to ignore the press and not read any of it but tell the defense to read it every freakin' day!!!!

MOTIVATION!!!! :bolt:

16. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    The Chargers always start slow when playing those 10:00 pst games.

So the key will be shortening the game in the first half. Avoiding three-and-outs on offense, controlling field position, and harassing Peyton on defense so he doesn’t get on a roll.

All I care about for the first half is staying within one score, then I like our chances the rest of the way.

17. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I had a dream last night. No, not really a dream, but a vision. I know it sounds weird, but I now know the Chargers are going to win. The offense will perform well, but the Chargers defense will be the difference in this game. They will intercept Peyton at least twice and sack him at least once. Peyton will be harassed all day. At least one interception will be caused by a deflection near the line of scrimmage. Also, LT will not get 100 yards rushing.

This is what I saw and what I believe will happen. Until I had this vision I wasn't sure what would happen during this game, but now I'm certain we will win.

18. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Here's hoping you're right...:icon_toast:

19. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    The key has to be our best player, LT. He has to make plays happen, even if the blocking isn't perfect. He needs to force Indy to keep a safety up at the line of scrimmage and keep Dungy out of that cover two look that he loves so much. If there is only one safety playing deep, then I believe 100% that Rivers will make some big completions downfield to Chambers and Jackson. Craig Davis will need to make some 3rd down receptions, too.

20. Airw0lf

Airw0lf BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Here's a fairly minor detail - the weather. The RCA dome is obviously climate controlled, so we won't end up slugging it out in the rain/wind/snow which can sometimes happen on the east coast.

On the other hand, the weather was pretty poor when Indy came to SD, and they really didn't cope well. Peyton's INTs, Vinatieri's missed FGs, etc...

What do you guys think?

21. Mista Kool

Mista Kool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    The Chargers key to victory is praying that Peyton Manning somehow dies in between now and tomorrow.

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Just remember, when he's lying on the turf... motionless... tomorrow... that you are the one who brought this bad karma upon him. Keep up the great work Koolio. :icon_finger:

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Gonna be a fast track today. I think this works in our favor. Shawne, Shaun, LT, Cro, Sproles - they'll be teeing it up today.

Man, I am SO ready for kickoff!! :abq2: