1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kickoff Weekend primetime schedule

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Mar 31, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Kickoff Weekend primetime schedule includes Monday doubleheader
    National Football League

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the 2008 Kickoff Weekend national primetime television schedule on Monday.

For the fifth consecutive season, the defending Super Bowl champion will open the season by hosting the NFL Thursday night season kickoff. The 2008 regular season officially opens on Thursday, Sept. 4 when the New York Giants host the Washington Redskins at 7 p.m. ET on NBC.

The kickoff will be 90 minutes earlier than the start time of the traditional season opener due to the Republican National Convention.

The Week 1 Sunday night primetime contest will feature a rematch of of Super Bowl XLI, with the Chicago Bears at the Indianapolis Colts at 8:15 p.m. ET. It will mark the Colts' first game in their new home, Lucas Oil Stadium.

The first Monday night of the 2008 season will feature a doubleheader for the third consecutive season. In two matchups of division rivals on Sept. 8, the Green Bay Packers will host the Minnesota Vikings at 7 p.m. ET, followed by the Denver Broncos at the Oakland Raiders at 10:15 p.m. ET. Both games will be televised on ESPN.

The announcement of these national primetime TV games was made by Goodell at the NFL Annual Meeting in Palm Beach, Florida.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Soo......the two worst teams in the AFC West get to open the year on monday night football in prime while the cream of the crop gets to wallow in normal time.

God I love the east coast media :icon_evil:

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Not exactly the matchups I thought they'd be.

Packers - Vikings, I can see. But Denver at Oakland? :icon_huh:

And Chicago-Indy on Sunday night? :icon_huh:

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Yeah, but look at it this way. This will be the highlight of their entire seasons.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't give a crap if the rest of the nation (except for Charger fans in other cities) watch the Chargers play, I preffer watching them play on sundays.

Ok, it might have something to do with the fact that I normally work on monday night :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    So, I wonder which of the two Jason Elam figgys he kicked against the Chargers last season most impressed the NFL??

Or mebbe it was alla the great off-season moves Uncle Al has made.

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Broncos at the Raiders?? Lame..... :tdown:

8. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    The NFL announced its prime-time TV schedule for the first weekend of the 2008 season and the Chargers were not included. Don't take it so hard ... neither were the Patriots or Cowboys, to name two teams far more popular nationally than the Chargers.

This news guarantees the Chargers will play their opener on Sunday, Sept. 7. Since CBS can't show a 1:15 p.m. game that day because of the U.S. Open, the Chargers either will host Carolina or Atlanta at that time (on Fox) or play a 10 a.m. PDT game at one of the following five sites -- Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Miami, Pittsburgh or Buffalo. (The latter is unlikely because it's widely assumed the Chargers will play in Buffalo on Oct. 19 before flying to London to play the Saints the following week.)

As reported last week by numerous outlets, the season will open with the Redskins playing at the Giants at 4 p.m. PDT on Thursday, Sept. 4. That game will be on NBC, as will the first Sunday night game (Sept. 7) between the Bears and Colts -- the first game at Indy's new Lucas Oil Stadium. The first Monday night doubleheader on ESPN will feature the Packers at the Vikings at 4 p.m. and the Broncos playing at the Raiders in a 7:15 game that's good news for the struggling economy -- people in the Central and Eastern time zones will have no reason to stay up late, thus allowing them to be productive at work the next day.

The entire NFL schedule will be announced in April, likely sometime during the week of April 7.
    Jay Posner

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I guarantee our games vs. New England and vs. Indy are SNF/MNF games.

All I want is a home game opening weekend. I HATE having to wait until week 2 or 3 to see the team @ home.

10. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    :icon_rofl:

11. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I'm guessing the Indy game is being shown on Sunday night because it is a new stadium and they want to show it off ..

12. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    YES I can't wait :turdspuke:

13. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Are you going to the game? You’ll be able to sit with other future guests of the state penitentiary.

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    It'll be entertaining to see if the whiner QB can do anything versus the turds...no, it won't.

15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Didn't know Indy's new stadium would be ready for this season. Ah well, maybe that'll bode well for our bolts to get a new stadium.

16. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

twice!!!

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

17. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    No I'm not going to the game but I'll be their in Beautiful HD

18. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I'm guessing that we play on the road to start the year, considering that we started out at home last year. Also, I hope that we don't get any Monday Night, Thursday Night, or Saturday Night games. Not only does it mess up the team's schedule, but I can't stand the announcing crews on either station. I just watched the ESPN broadcast of the buttwhoopin that we gave Denver on Christmas Eve, and it was embarrasing having to listen to the ballwashing of ****LER.....

19. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
  20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    You can bet on at least two prime time games this season, more if the Chargers win as expected since the NFL and the folks who show the games have created some flexibility in late season TV.

21. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
  22. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
  23. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112