1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kiel Creates Chatter in Secondary

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by WonderSlug, Aug 30, 2006.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/kiel-creates-chatter.htm

Click on link for complete article.

2. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    :icon_banana: :icon_banana: :icon_toast:

Kiel is gonna have a good year

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    We're gonna need'im back there, thats for sure!!:yes: :bolt:

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Kiel started off very well, but appeared to have a sophmore slump. I too expect big things from him this year. If he plays up to his ability, then the adddition of McCree will make the backfield 10 times better this year.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's looking to me that we may finally have the chemistry in the defensive backfield to cause some damage to our oppositions passing attack. If Kiel and McCree solidify the safety positions our whole defense can become a very devastating unit in the NFL.:bolt: :icon_party:

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    At the top of his game Kiel is a very good safety.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Kiel was declared the starter at SS

8. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    As strong as our defensive front seven is our safeties should be pumped for a year with some big plays.

This is going to be fun to watch. :bolt:

9. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I think Kiel will be fine. If nothing else, a healthy Kiel + McCree looks a heckuva lot better than Kiel + Wilson did in '04.

10. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I thought Kiel was pretty good in '04. 97 tackles, 2 picks, 8 passes defended, strong in run-support...Wilson was the weakness in that secondary.

Kiel was injured last year. While he's never going to be the greatest cover guy I think we'll see him return to the physicality he showed in '03 and '04. If not, I'm with you.

11. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Most of the team has pointed to Marlon's presence this offseason, and his veteran leadership, as one of the main reasons for their improved development.

He's doing for the young secondary guys what Keenan is for our young WRs.

12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    True, but I want Marlon to have an effect in his own right due to his own abilities. If it was all about veteran leadership we coulda just kept Wilson.

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, they (the secondary players) said that Marlon communicated to them much more than Wilson during the plays, telling them exactly where to line up, what direction the play was going in his determination, etc.

14. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    I was the first person to give Marlon the thumbs up whose name isn't GAWD :thumbup: Of course leisure wanted Chris Hope over McCree :icon_wink:

15. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I'll claim second on the thumbs up.

After reviewing what Marlon did in the postseason with the Panthers, especially against shEli and the Gnats, I was smiling that we signed him and talked him up at the SDUT.

:tup:

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I liked him in '05. :icon_tease:

http://forums.chargers.com/showpost.php?p=1021173&postcount=41

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
  18. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I might be able to claim first in the universe, considering he was primarily a special-teamer in '04. ;)

Isn't that typical of bad teams like the Texans, though? They let a good player walk. They have no clue how good he is and they just let him walk.

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Speaking of the Texans, they might end up cutting their starting RB Domanick Davis, as new HC Gary Kubiak is nonplussed with his lack of production so far this offseason and preseason. The Texans forums are abuzz with chatter on that.

Sort of an egg-in-the-face especially after they passed on Reggie isn't it?

20. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    back the **** off my boy. Kiel is solid, not flashy but a presence when he is around the ball carrier, plus he has a nasty streak like last year when he stomped mannings hand after manning was sacked.

21. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Tally me as one of the few who thinks Texas made the right decision re: Bush. Gary Kubiak is from the Broncos school of offense, and they've never needed extraordinarily talented running-backs to make that thing go. Not saying Kubiak desrves the credit for that, but I am saying he knows the philosophy. Where I do fault the Texans is that I thought they should have taken D'Brick, not Mario Williams. With D'Brick and Barron they could've had the cornerstones of their offensive line for the next 10 years and maybe finally see what David Carr can do when he's not always running for his life.

22. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    You just know if they release Domanick, that people are going to jump on them about not selecting Reggie.

Although I do think their OL was in serious need and they should have been using all their first day picks on OL.

23. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Yup. Now Mario Williams has to play at the level of Julius Peppers or else it's a bad pick.

24. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    problem is that they got no one to help mario, with out another threat to rush they can triple team him all day long. Maybe they would give us a first for foley??? :) :lol:

25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Over on the UT forum, I screamed for Marlon over Hope in February. Hope is an overrated hack. The Stillers didn't even want the guy back.