1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kiel Gets 3 Years Probation (cough)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Aug 7, 2007.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2965355

Kiel gets 3 years probation for shipping codeine-based cough syrup

Associated Press

Updated: August 7, 2007, 8:30 PM ET

SAN DIEGO -- Former Chargers safety Terrence Kiel was sentenced Tuesday to three years probation on a misdemeanor charge of shipping codeine-based cough syrup to Texas.

Kiel, who was dropped from the team in March, pleaded guilty in February to felony and misdemeanor drug charges under a plea bargain.

San Diego County Superior Court Judge Stephanie Sontag dropped the felony charge because Kiel completed 175 hours of volunteer work and underwent counseling for gambling.

"It's baffling that you would take this chance and you would do this crime with so much at stake," Sontag told Kiel. "I think you've suffered for it."

Kiel was led off the practice field and arrested in the locker room by Drug Enforcement Administration agents on Sept. 26. The DEA said then that Kiel admitted to shipping at least two parcels of prescription cough syrup, apparently to be mixed with soft drinks to make a concoction known as "lean."

Kiel initially faced five counts. He pleaded guilty to felony transportation of a controlled substance -- which was dismissed -- and to a misdemeanor count of furnishing dangerous drugs without a license. Other charges were dropped.

Defense attorney Bob Grimes told the judge that Kiel was happy to put the matter behind and hopes to sign with another NFL team.

Kiel did not speak himself but apologized to the court through his attorney.

Prosecutors believe Kiel got the cough syrup from Hope Devina Vines, a licensed pharmacy technician. Vines pleaded no contest to misdemeanor grand theft and was sentenced to three years probation, including the completion of an anti-theft course.

Chargers players have had a series of run-ins with law enforcement. Seven team members have been involved in nine incidents since April 2006, most recently the July arrest of 22-year-old rookie Anthony Waters in Myrtle Beach, S.C., who was charged with hitting a man who threw a rock at his car on a highway.

2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    what would he have got if he was white Trump?:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kyle

Kyle BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    She nailed it. It really is baffling. And when you consider what it's done to his career, he's already been punished somewhat. I suspect someone will pick him up before Week 1. Hell, if Jerry Wilson could last as long as he did, I suspect someone will take a chance on a 26 year old with 5 years experience, even if it's just for depth. But his contract won't be for much.

4. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Since Waters is my new adoptee, I gotta say something about this. THE ARREST WAS B.S.!!! I'm glad Anthony gave him a beat down, poppa didn't raise no punk!

5. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Fairly light sentence, but it is in keeping with what most "minor" drug runners are getting, because we don't have much jail space as our jails are already full of interstate drug traffickers that are way more high priority then this...

I hope he is punished by the league.

TBF

6. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Atta boy Kiel, thanks for putting in your time in communitie service. Now go sign with the Broncos so Rivers can toast your ***!!

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    now that sounds perfect:tup: :tup:

8. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    You guys have Kiel all wrong.

He was actually shipping the cough syrup to a poor inner city hospital. :whistling:

• Like Like x 1
  9. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Kiel will be signed by the Patriots. Bill will recieve mountains of accolades for finding such a versatile player that he can whip into shape, just because he signed with the PATS.

10. captaind

captaind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Beat me to it. :lol:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929

:turdspuke: :turdspuke: :turdspuke: :fan:

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Yeah, no kidding PL. Dude will get picked up by the Pats and the media will make him out to be another "feel good" story about a player coming back from a bad situation. :no: If that happens, I hope he "coughs" it up in the playoffs if we face him. That would be so fitting! :yes:

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think he should have to wear a sign on his head that reads "STUPID" for three years.

If he removes it, he will be traced and arrested.
    Like the way an anklet works when someone is on house arrest.

14. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)
    I heard about those ankle-bracelet monitors that are supposed to tell if someone's been drinking (AND that they may be worthless), but is there some ankle-bracelet that monitors when someone's about to do something stupid?

:icon_shrug:

15. captaind

captaind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    As Ron White said, "You can't fix stupid."

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He might be able to make more money in Canada than here at the moment.

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The Raiders. I hate them more.

18. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Anyone ever think if Kiel was on the take with that gambling problem? Not hard for a DB to blow an assignment/shave points.

19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    The difference between the Chargers and, say, the Bengals is that the majoirty of those who have had a "run in" with the law are no longer on the team.

And those that are still there, their offences weren't anything major. (not saying they were right, though.)

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Lets make it so it monitors if he's about to take the "STUPID" sign off of his head.