1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kiffin vs. Davis

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Aug 19, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Coach Kiffin has no power to upgrade Raiders roster

"There's not very much competition on this field," Kiffin said after a lackluster practice Sunday. "Some guys have been released at other places, and people are picking them up. You'd like to pick up some of those guys and bring them in, because they've been in other camps, and push some of our guys.

"Unfortunately, there are some guys right now on our roster that are borderline guys that, as of today, would make it just because we don't have anybody else."

This isn't the first time Kiffin has bemoaned the fact that Raiders managing general partner Al Davis is slow, or at least hesitant, to address issues that Kiffin deems glaring and unacceptable.

"You've got to be willing to release people," Kiffin said. "When guys are in the training room, they're not out here practicing; you've got to be willing to release them and live with it, and pick other people up for more competition."

It's a battle Kiffin's predecessors have fought, too, with little success. Yet, unlike coaches of years past, Kiffin isn't content to accept what he deems detrimental to his fielding the best team possible.

Does Raiders coach Kiffin want confrontation with Al Davis?

Kiffin's key quotes, thus far:

Day 1 of training camp: "When you take this job you realize who the owner is and you realize most guys don't last really long, so that is what it is." (He added that he and Davis have a "working relationship" and a shared desire to win.)

Day 3 of camp: After praising defensive lineman Tommy Kelly's potential, Kiffin noted: "He's got a lot to prove now with that contract."

Last Monday, Aug. 11: Disappointed by the team's depth, Kiffin said: "It's been a situation that, unfortunately, we haven't brought guys in. I control what I can control. We come out every day and get our guys as good as we can. I'm pleased with the top of our roster, but we need to add to the bottom of our roster. We need more competition."

Friday night, after losing at Tennessee: In terms of who might supplant punt returner Johnnie Lee Higgins, Kiffin said: "I really don't have anybody to look at, that's the problem. There isn't anybody there that's very dynamic with the ball."

Saturday media conference call: Rightfully irked by wide receiver Javon Walker missing two catch-able passes Friday, Kiffin said: "... That's discouraging because he was paid an awful lot of money, paid like one of the top five receivers in the NFL. We need him to make those plays."

In other news; The world is spinning in greased grooves.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Lane Kiffin in a few weeks
    [​IMG]

3. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    [​IMG]DEAR JEEEBUSS PLEASE LET AL LIVE ANOTHER 50 YEARS AND STAY JUST SANE ENOUGHT THAT HE CANT BE REMOVED[​IMG]

5. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Seriously, all these years of losing and high draft picks will add up eventually, no matter who the coach and GM are.

They will get better, and one day, maybe sooner than we want to admit, they will surprise us.

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    cough cough bullshit cough cough

• Like Like x 2
  7. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Rep time! :lol:

8. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I hope I'm wrong.

But no one sucks forever. A few years ago, Raider and Bronco fans would laugh at us and say we would never get better and always suck. Well, we don't suck anymore.

The Raiders won't suck forever. Eventually they will field a decent team. I just think that a lot of Charger fans are setting themselves up for a huge, huge shock by assuming the Raiders will always suck.

It's hard to beat a team so long the way we have the Raiders. Eventually, any given Sunday will come into play and we will lose. They have played us close a couple years straight now.

I'm just saying, prepare yourself.

9. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    What about the Lions?

Seriously, I get your point but, with Al in charge the turds will be a cellar dweller until he loses control of the team. And they will continue to suck for a minimum of a few years following Al's exit.

Every year it’s the same; overrated sucktastic free agents are added to the suckassiest roster of sucksticks to play for the suckinfected turds in the suckatorium.

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yeah, we went through some harsh years '99 to '04 and look at the bolts now...That said, we got lucky. We picked up LT, Merriman, Cromartie, Rivers, Kaeding, among others and produced the most talented team in the NFL. The Raiders haven't done enough unless McFadden is better than LT and Jamarcus Russell is the next Peyton Manning. That also being said, the Raiders are getting better, not worse, and soon they will rise to the top but not this year. I think we're going to enjoy another year of sweeping the Raiders.

11. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    My friend, we didn't "get lucky". We got John Butler and AJ Smith.

That's not luck. That's Gawd. :yes:

12. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Oh yeah...that was a bad choice of words. We were smart.

13. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Fvck the Faiders! There is nothing positive about that sorry sack of **** team playing on the field known as the Shithole.

• Like Like x 1
  14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    So, Al Davis has managed to pizz off yet another good coach.

Good going Uncle Al! :icon_rofl:

May you live forever! :tup:

15. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I do agree all those years of drafting high could give you alot of talent and salary cap hell. but I do believe that they have the potential to get better. I can omly hope that Sweatsuit Al keeps them on his crazy coaching carousel.

16. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    speaking of the faiders I found this gem in a thread on if they could win the AFCW. as soon as we win a Lombardi their world become sone step closer to hell.:icon_twisted:

"Then you look at S.D.... They've been on a unbeliveable drafting clip, loaded with talent to the likes of Raider teams of ole. When we play them right at this point it's like a reversal of yesteryear. We are now playing our old selves and now we know what that feels like to be the other team.

I also think there is some intimidation beset on our team until we start winning in the trenches against them. Hopefully age is starting to catch up with them, however I don't see why it would be, they are still pretty young, but I can hope. I also would make sure to watch the Vikes Adrian Peterson game and take as many notes as possible. However good that "D" is, it also gave up the most yards rushing ever in a single game, that still has to burn them."

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Extenuating circumstances allowed all those rushing yards in the second half.

I also doubt that the Raiders have the same quality RB tandem as AD and Taylor, or anywhere as good an OL.

18. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    With a number of very high draft picks lately, the rat-turds have picked up some talented individuals, but they have not used their picks and their free agent money wisely. Not that I mind, you understand...in fact I rather enjoy watching their fans slink out of the "Q" in the 3rd quarter when their "team" is getting embarassed on the field. Frankly, their talent evaluators has missed far more than they have hit. Once Al goes away, it will still take a while to rebuild that franchise. Hang in there, Al... I love what you are doing with the place!

Yes, they could surprise us one day, but right now I like the matchups on both sides of the ball when the Chargers line up against Oakland.

Go Chargers

:abq1::flag::abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    What would these extenuating circumstances be? And damn straight! the Raiders o'line couldn't protect the buffet table from Rosie O' Donnel, let alone lead a running back. They will still be dangerous, even for us. I will continue to predict that we get to sweep the Raiders this year.

20. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Oh man, that's a lot of SUCKING :lol: I agree with John here. As long as Mr. Senile is in charge, the Raiders will continue to flounder, no matter how many high draft picks they get. Al continues to overpay for free agents, won't take care of his own good ones and his drafts rarely make sense.
    I understand the Maestro's point of view but Al usually finds a way to screw even a good thing.

As far as the Chargers? Yeah, we were laughing stocks for awhile but this team was built by football smarts and common sense more than by continued high draft picks. Thank you for that A.J.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    We do need to improve against the run though - the Patriots also went to a heavy run set during that Championship game and basically steam-rolled us. We do need to make improvement there.

22. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    They steamrolled us late in the 4th quarter when our front seven was getting really tired.

The same thing happened in the Super Bowl. The Giants defense, which had contained New England and harassed Brady all game, suddenly looked old and weak in the final 5 minutes.

That's when Brady and Co. drove all the way down for that TD.

• Like Like x 1
  23. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    What Happend to our run D we were in the top five for 2 straight years. In my opnion AJ made his one mistake when he let Donnie Edwards go he has made his mark in KC already. But he is still GAWD.

24. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    What happened to our run D is that we had one bad game against Minnesota.

Our run-D stats were horribly skewed by that fiasco in Minnesota. The Vikings ran for a ridiculous 378 yards against us in that game. By way of comparison, in our other 15 games our defense gave up an average of 88.9 yards rushing.

In that one game our defense gave up a full 290 yards over it's normal average. If we had a typical defensive performance against Minnesota our defense would have been ranked third in the NFL.

Regarding Donnie...

Word is that Edwards is probably going to be a backup for a bad KC defense this year. He is well past his prime.

We wouldn't have been better with Edwards in there last year.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :yes: I really like Lane Kiffin as a coach. I was feeling sorry for him at the beginning of this debacle, but now I just really enjoy watching him give it back to the old man in the press. Al treats him like a little kid and he refuses to take it. I predict he'll finish out this season at a respectable level and then begin seeking employment elsewhere. Hopefully not in our division.

26. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Then Lofton can take over that dung heap. He interviewed several times for the HC position in Oakland already.

So, he actually WANTS the job! :icon_huh:

27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    IDK if Donnie Edwards is the reason our run D went down considering his notoriety for tackles down the field. It just oddly seems that as our pass defense has improved, our run defense has fallen. We're always near the top in one but the bottom/lower middle in the other. I think part of hte reason for the run defense is the fact that while we have good backups across the board we still lack a solid NT backup. McKinney is unproven and Bingham is a backup DE not a NT.

28. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

Sorry to commit the cardinal sin of quoting myself, but to continue with this point...

To give you an idea of just how anomalous that Minny game was, if we had a normal game of run defense against Minnesota our defense would have finished the season ranked 7th overall.

This was a top-10 defense in pretty much every way last year, but one horrible game skewed the stats in a big way.

29. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    That's what I keep telling my Raider fan friend. Not only will they continue to suck while Al is alive, but who knows what will happen with that team when he is gone. Who will take over? Will they have a clue? Maybe they will get someone like the Spanoses who took awhile to figure out that they need to hire smart people and get the hell out of the way. Maybe the team will be bought by the NFL equivalent of Donald Sterling. ****, who knows. :icon_shrug:

30. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Word has it that in a collaborative effort, the Chargers, Donks and Chefs have begun cloning experiments with the hopes of staving off Uncle Al's eventual departure from the NFL :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1