1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Killer Tornado Slams Boy Scout Camp

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Deb, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Killer Tornado Slams Boy Scout Camp

They Never Had a Chance
    By TIMBERLY ROSS,
    AP
    Posted: 2008-06-12 07:44:22

[​IMG]

Filed Under: Nation News, Natural Disaster
    BLENCOE, Iowa (June 12) -- Frightened Boy Scouts huddled in a shelter as a tornado tore through their western Iowa campground, killing four people and injuring 48 others who had little to no warning of the approaching twister.

Tornadoes also touched down in Kansas, Minnesota and Nebraska on Wednesday. They killed at least two people in northern Kansas, destroyed much of the small town of Chapman and caused extensive damage on the Kansas State University campus.

In Iowa, rescue workers cut their way through downed branches and dug through debris amid rain and lightning Wednesday night to reach the camp where the 93 boys, ages 13 to 18, and 25 staff members were attending a weeklong leadership training camp.

The boys were split into two groups when the storm hit the Little Sioux Scout Ranch in the remote Loess Hills. One group managed to take shelter, while the other was out hiking.

At least 42 of the injured remained hospitalized Thursday morning, with everything from cuts and bruises to major head trauma, said Gene Meyer, Iowa's public safety commissioner. At least four of the injured had been airlifted from the camp, he said, refusing to elaborate on their conditions or identify the dead.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and the families of the victims," Gov. Chet Culver said. "We continue to do everything we can to make sure those injured are going to recover."

All the scouts and staff were accounted for, Meyer said, adding that searchers were making another pass through the grounds to make sure no one else was injured. The camp was destroyed.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Absolutely horrible :no: :icon_sad:

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am sending my two boys to scout camp at Catalina next week, While there are not going to be any twisters, just the fact that there are that many young men in one place with knives and first aid kits gives me reason to worry...

4. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    This should worry you even more Conc, I was staff at camp cherry valley, where I assume they're going, as was my father before me.LOL

saw an interview w/ a couple of the scouts. the way they reacted and worked together to help the trapped and injured out shouild be all the example people need to enroll there sons in this institution. these young men are a credit to every thing this country stands for.

on a side note my son got his wolf badge at the cub scouts award ceremony last week. i'm very proud of him:flag:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Terrible tragedy. The twister season has been incredibly active so far this year. :icon_sad: