1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kiper has us taking...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargerlipz, Jan 21, 2009.

1. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Over at ESPN Mel has us taking RB Knowshon Moreno from Georgia. He's supposedly the top ranked RB in the draft.
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 207 lbs

2008 stats:
    Attempts-250
    Yards-1400
    Avg yards per rush-5.6
    TDs-16

I for one, would rather we get a RB in the later rounds and get some O-line beef, LB or safety in the earlier rounds.

What do you all think?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Could be BPA
    I love Moreno, dude's an absolute stud. Ran all around, through and over (he started that jumping trend now in college) opponents in the SEC. He could be a very LT like back.

3. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Moreno or LeSean McCoy would be nice picks but I have to agree with you on this. It just seems like there's always some decent backs like Tashard Choice available later..sometimes MUCH later. I guess a lot of it depends on just WHO is available and on whether LT is coming back :icon_shrug:

4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Id rather have McCoy, but would be very happy with Moreno

5. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I'm going to toot my own horn and say that I made this pick a few days ago when Knowshon announced he was going to be eligible. With the media so high on Beanie Wells, Knowshon has a good chance of dropping to our pick. If it happens, I don't see AJ passing him up. AJ has a reputation for taking the most valuable player that's available, and seeing as how Knowshon could very well be the heir apparent for LT, we'd HAVE to take him. Plus, who better to teach the young guy the ropes than LT?

6. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...There's a boatload of good backs available in the draft. Chris Wells might be the best since he could fill both the bruiser and breakaway threat roles. There are some sleepers in there. Shonn Greene from Iowa was unstoppable in some of the games I saw.

Knowshon Moreno, Georgia Height: 5-11. Weight: 207. Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
    Moreno is naturally blessed with a crucial blend of size and speed (he can run in the low 4.4s), but it is his athleticism, vision, and ability to hit the hole that sets him apart as arguably the best running back in college football. In one of the few instances in which Moreno did not see a place to go against Central Michigan earlier this season, he simply jumped completely over a helpless defender and continued on down the field. Even after the initial hit, Moreno often can get an extra yard or two with relative ease and rarely goes down before getting gang-tackled.

LaSean McCoy, Pittsburgh Height: 5-11. Weight: 207. Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
    He has decent instincts and is certainly sporting a nice mixture of size and speed. It also takes a lot to knock him down. On many occasions, his superb balance and control have kept McCoy upright when most backs would be lying on the ground. But he does not run between the tackles very well or often. While not running between the tackles is a concern for most starting backs, that does not mean McCoy can not find a place in the NFL. In this day and age of multiple running backs, he can be a great change of pace back who can run to the outside and catch the ball out of the backfield.

Chris "Beanie" Wells, Ohio St Height: 6-1. Weight: 232. Projected 40 Time: 4.48.
    Wells is the most physically gifted running back in this class. At 6'1" and 237 pounds, Wells still reportedly runs the 40 yard dash in the 4.4 second range. Wells has a tendency to take a play off now and again by not hitting the hole at full speed. This is an issue that will be resolved quickly in the NFL, when he realizes defenses are just too good not to get into the hole fast. There may also be a few GMs that are worried about his hands. Wells has only caught 13 passes in his career at Ohio State for 50 yards. He doesn't appear to have bad hands on film, just very untested ones (which could limit him to being a two down back in the pros). Wells' running style will translate nicely to the pros, because he runs with tremendous power and shakes off the first tackle in most instances. He also has the speed to get to the outside, and makes beautiful cutbacks while he runs

Donald Brown, Connecticut Height: 5-10. Weight: 210. Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
    Brown will not measure out as well as some of the top prospects in the draft, but he is a proven workhorse. He might lack the flash and speed of some of the other backs, but he will give any team a solid and consistent effort. Some teams will want a faster change of pace back, but Brown would be a great short yardage runner and could end up being a top rusher on just about any team in the NFL.

Javon Ringer, Michigan St Height: 5-9. Weight: 203. Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
    Ringer is a little small at just 5'9" and 203 pounds, but that hasn't stopped him from churning out yards between the tackles in his career. He may need to bulk up a bit to play at the professional level, but Ringer is surprisingly powerful for his size. He might not be able to handle the full load by himself in the NFL, but Ringer's speed and elusiveness would make him an excellent change of pace to a team's more physical back. Ringer also has the skill set to fill the valuable third down role in the NFL. Ringer is an excellent receiver out of the backfield, having caught 89 passes in his career.

C.J. Spiller, Clemson Height: 5-11. Weight: 195. Projected 40 Time: 4.37.
    The 5-11 Spiller is amazingly quick and can help out in so many areas. Besides his obvious ability to run the ball and catch passes out of the backfield, Spiller is a seasoned returner. Spiller has been returning both punts and kickoffs since he was a freshman and ended up averaging 28.8 yards per kick-off return in 2007.

Shonn Greene, Iowa Height: 5-11. Weight: 235. Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
    Greene is a huge tailback at 235 pounds. He is tremendously powerful and rarely goes down on first contact. He's not going to run a 40 time that will blow people away, but he has good speed for a back his size. Greene has caught just 11 passes during his collegiate career, so his hands are a little untested. He hasn't been asked to pass block very often in Iowa's scheme, but he has the kind of size and strength that should allow him to pick up blitzing linebackers in the NFL

Devin Moore, Wyoming Height: 5-9. Weight: 192. Projected 40 Time: 4.32.
    Very small but very fast, Moore could be a speed back in a 2 back set and a valuable returnman. Moore reminds me a lot of Darren Sproles and only time will tell if he will pan out like Sproles

Rashad Jennings, Liberty Height: 6-1. Weight: 232. Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
    Jennings is a big and strong back. Is deceptively fast (4.46) for his size. A true downhill runner, Jennings does not "dance" around the pile. Great leg drive. Very tough to bring down inside. A workhorse-type of back. Very productive back. Does not turn the corner. Will get caught from behind. Many people will look at him as a Brandon Jacob's clone however this is not the case. Jennings is faster then Jacobs while Jacobs is truly bigger. Wat is the difference in this? When Jacobs gets turned and starts running 'down hill' he can only be stopped by taking his legs out from under him or catching him by his ankles from behind. The problem is Jacobs takes a little while to square his shoulders and build his momentum. Jennings is big but not to the point of Jacobs where he can take on anyone up top. Jennings can take most people up top normally and like Jacobs when he gets running 'down hill' he is just like jacobs in which he is almost impossible to stop. Jennings advantage over Jacobs is that he has average speed for a normal sized back. For his size Jennings is exteremly fast and gets going downhill very quickly. Watch out for Jennings he could be a top-5 back in a couple years.

Jeremiah Johnson, Oregon Height: 5-9. Weight: 204. Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
    Jeremiah Johnson is a very versatile back who has played behind Jonathon Stewart until this year. He has been hampered by injuries throughout his Oregon career. He has very soft hands and does a good job catching the ball out of the backfield. As long as Johnson avoids injury he should expect a very productive year for Oregon's high-octane spread offense. Many expected Oregon to be down this year after the loss of stars Dennis Dixon and Stewart, but the offense does not seem to have missed a beat and Johnson is a big part of that. Johnson needs to show more durability, but based on pure running skills. He is a very good college runner and could be a productive member of an NFL team. Johnson has done a good job as a kick returner during his career at Oregon. Johnson has thrived in Oregon's potent spread offense early this season. He has rushed for 6.2 yards per carry with 7 touchdowns. If Johnson continues to run as well as he has started and continues to improve as a receiver he could definitely see his draft stock rise. As of now Johnson figures to be a late round pick who could likely contribute to a team early on special teams
    l

7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    You forgot PJ Hill and James Davis, if we dont go RB in the 1st, these are two guys im going to be praying are there in the 3rd

I think Hill is a great power back to compliment LT (or Sproles) who can be that thumper in our offense, and James Davis is a great all around back who can be an every down back in the NFL and i really dont understand why he doesnt get more recognition. I think Davis could end up being one of the top 3-4 RBs from this draft

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    If we select Moreno (I don't like Mccoy or Wells) then its BPA because there are no good tackles (O or D) or anything else really left. Moreno would be a backup and then from there in a year or so he'd take over at the #1 spot. He's the best pure runner and he's faster then LT with almost all his other good qualities. Still as Jacker writes, we could grab alot of players in the third on to ensure we fill the other holes

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Attention: DO NOT DRINK THE BEANIE WELLS KOOL-AID.

That is all.

:bolt:

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    CJ Spiller is returning to Clemson

Draft beef! Dont need a first round RB because LT is staying and Sproles is too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    If we used one of our first rounders on a rb it would only be because we traded LT for a first rounder. And even then they might get what we really need which is a very good d-lineman , or inside linebacker or saftey. Or o-lineman.

The only thing with LT is he has to renegotiate his salary to next to nothing next year so we can land a couple of good free agents. LT today said he wants to stay in san diego. Who wouldn't. But he's got to lower his cost alot.

Chargers have to keep improving not dwelling in the past. I think we all know that.

12. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151

Yeah, and the Broncos need to dwell on the past and not improve.

13. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205

No....

And It's Not Even Close....

How Quick We Are To Forget 619's Very Own Reggie Bush In College....Shame On You....

[​IMG]

Your Welcome...

:cool:

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555

I've heard interviews with Moreno, I have serious questions about his work ethic and toughness. He's a little too layed back for my comfort, the kind of guy I think is just looking for a payday in the NFL.

I'd be much more happy with a workhorse like LeSean McCoy.

15. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I'm not a fan of Moreno, and getting better up front is a much bigger priority at this point. I don't see all of the top of the line offensive and defensive lineman being gone by 16.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I like the pick.

Also, AJ don't draft BEEF high (he hasn't so far, Castillo is probably the highest one hes drafter)

I still like BEEF, but if Knowshown is there, very, very tempting.

17. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Screw McCoy he is for ****, I want Green from Iowa!

18. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

That's nice. Get some scrub in the third round or lower. We have numerous holes in every single level of our defense, as well as a starter leaving on the offensive line. Not to mention, what's the likelyhood that Knowshown gets signed before camp starts? You're talking about 4 million dollars a year for a rookie runningback, and ten plus million in guarantees.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Settle down. Don't shoot the messanger man. I'm only going by what we have seen in the past, and that is AJ not drafting Grade A prime BEEF.

Reread what I said, I too prefer BEEF at the #16 pick (but I wouldn't be surprised @ taking and RB based on AJ's MO)

20. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

We'll see. AJ took Big Mac and Igor in the second round, and Castillo in the first. I know that AJ didn't take him, but Jamal was a second round supplemental pick, which would have made him a high first round pick if he had stayed in school.

21. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

Bush has been a big disapointment as a pro. Has never even averaged 4 ypc yet in an season as a RB. Been good as a receiver but has also played in less games every year as well.

I guess the Texans knew what they were doing since Steve Slaton only has 270 career rushing yards less than Bush in one season than Bush has in three.
    Maybe he likes the camera time he gets in commercials and with his girlfriend more than playing football?

22. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    At pick #16 there should solid talent available at several positions. I think we would be better served by focusing on O-line, D-line or Safety with that pick and taking the best available player from one of these positions. Getting "the next LT" isn't going to do much good if no one is blocking for him or our defense can't get the opposing offense off of the field.

Bottom line: restructure LT's contract, spread the ball around to get more mileage out of him and use the draft picks in other areas of need.

Besides...who takes Mel seriously?...the man has plastic hair!

Go Chargers!!!
    :flag:

23. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Lets be real here...LT isnt leaving. He loves it here and will figure something out contract wise to stay. He isnt gonna go anywhere right now where he has a better shot to win a super bowl.

Also if you all watched the same game I did in Pittsburgh we should once again focus on defense. I think Matt Wilhelm is a fuggin joke and possibly the worst starting ILB in the NFL. And Stephen Cooper isnt much better.

I really like Maualuga which WILL be gone by our pick but Cushing should be there.

Myron Rolle will be a nice pick up in the draft if we can get him.....

I like Duke Robinson and Herman Johnson as well from the guard stand point.

Just my two cents.

24. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    We don't need a great RB in the first round. We have Sproles, Hester, and Tolbert.

We desperately need an offensive lineman, if not one maybe two. We also need another safety to compliment Weddle and maybe an ILB.

All these are more important than drafting "LT's replacement".

25. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    AJ's looking for a big offensive lineman or a powerful linebacker in the first round. Maybe he'll trade up to acquire both. Then I still think he'll go after a RB nice and late in the draft.

26. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    D.

I want an ALL Defensive offseason (with an o-lineman or two sprinkled in).

Build the D into an offense/qb killing machine and watch the victories mount up.

27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I don't wanna see us taking a RB with the 16th pick. Gimme a stud O lineman or D tackle with that pick please. If there is another big guy or safety still on the board mid round 2 let's make a trade. Give a team what they want and throw Wilhelm on the pile too.

28. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    FWIW, Reggie is being GROSSLY misused in NO.

You don't do the things he did @ USC then suddenly suck. Injuries have definately slowed him down, to which I point to my initial statement about NO not using him properly. He is NOT a line up 7 yards deep and pound the ball like MT type of back. He needs to be used on the outside more, in space, where he excels.

29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    RB's are not picked in the first round. :tdown: We need BEEF!

30. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Yeah, I mean people like Emmitt Smith, Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Eddie George, Edgerrin James, Reggie Bush, Adrian Petersen, oh and that one guy named LaDainian Tomlinson were all drafted in the first round, and what have they done??? :lol: