1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Kiper & McShay have OLB Anthony Barr falling to Bolts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 29, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Discuss at your leisure but now I'm intrigued.

Mcshay: Analysis: This could be a good time for the Chargers to bring in a developing pass-rusher like Barr, with Dwight Freeney getting up in years, Melvin Ingram returning from a torn ACL and Jarret Johnson's cap number for 2015 being $7.5 million. There's more finesse to Barr's game at this point in his career than I'd like to see, and he isn't a great finisher on tape, but he has upside as an edge-rusher because of his elite top-end speed for the position.

Kiper: Analysis: I was tempted to put Fuller here -- as that's a pretty big need and I think he can help them early -- but there's a certain point at which you see this level of productivity from a pass-rusher, consider your own need at that spot and have to take a guy like Barr, who needs some developmental work but got to the quarterback plenty, even while he was figuring it out on defense after a conversion from fullback. Cleaning up your ability to defend the pass doesn't just come through better personnel in the secondary. It can start up front.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    As raw as he is, as (and I hate to say it) soft as he plays, I think it's fair value.

But I doubt he falls that far, I can't see Chip Kelly passing on him at 22, or Arizona at 20, or the teams sitting behind us to just let him fall in our lap knowing we wouldn't pass on him.

3. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    There's a couple of reasons why, for us, i would seriously consider passing on Barr. As far as precieved value, he's a crazy good value here, but i just dont see it, he's probably valued right around here IMO, around 20 for me. One of the biggest reasons i'd pass is because he's soft and plays really weak/soft, and thats usually something you just can't develop, that was one of the biggest problems that Maybin had. The other reason why i'd pass on him, is, just for this team, i REALLY don't trust our coaches to develop pass rushers anymore. I dont know what it is, but i've lost all trust in our defensive coaching staff. They continually misuse players and really haven't developed a lot of talent as of late.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Agree completely with the evaluation of Barr, he scares me. I see some people foaming at the mouth at Kiper's mock draft but in reality it's where his value should be as a boom or bust prospect.

What do you about Attaochu? I've been pondering him as our pick in the BT mock draft just to stir things up. I think he plays hard, he could use some polish as most rookies do, but I think day 1 he comes in as a game ready pass rusher and not a bad run defender. Your opinion?

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    I guess I'd buy this assessment if there were a bunch of pass rushers from our team that have gone to other teams and done better. But that has not been the case. Our staff seems to have gotten more out of the players we've had than any other team has. Antwan Barnes has never come close to matching the productivity he had here. I believe the problem is not the staff but the players. English has been a bust and Ingram's injury has set him back. That's the reality. The pass rushers we've signed and drafted have not been very good. No amount of coaching is going to prevent Melvin from tearing his ACL or Freeney from tearing his quad.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    FWIW I don't think he's soft so much as he's still incredibly raw. I'd like to see him use his hands better and be more forceful but don't forget he's two years removed from being a RB. It's not like a DE transitioning into a 3-4 OLB it's a totally different frame of mind. But still with his tools which can't be taught, and his willingness to learn and develop, it'd be hard to pass on him.

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +209
    lol If Barr is soft is English a box of fluffy pillows. He would be a big pick up at 25, I don't think Pagano will be here if he has another bad year(the new staff saved him after 2012)

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    I don't think that is very fair to say, look at what Pagano has had to work with

Outside of Eric Weddle, Donald Butler, Kendall Reyes and Corey Liuget he had an ever revolving door of guys like:

Johnny Patrick, Jahleel Addae, Thomas Keiser, Tourek Williams, Richard Marshall, Andrew Gachkar, Reggie Walker,
    Cam Thomas, Marcus Gilchrist, Larry English, Shareece Wright, Richard Marshall, Darrell Stuckey, Sean Lissemore

Those were the starters throughout the entire 2013 season, I think Pagano got the most out of every single one of those players, some of those guys have never played an NFL snap while others were first year players learning a new system or position.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +209
    That's what we all hope is the case with Pagano. He is a mediocre defense coordinator as it stands and if he can't turn this squad into a Top-12 defense with onset of draft players. He needs to be booted for better coach, MM and TT really need to look out to others in the league.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    No way. Given we lost Ingram for most of the year, Freeney for all of it, as well as JJ and Butler for extended time (not to mention Te'o playing with an injured foot) I think it was awesome we didn't end up as one of the worst 5 defenses in the league. And that's on Pags, because we are talent deficient at all 3 levels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    He still looks like an offensive player at times, like he wants to block the offensive tackle. My biggest problem is he's a photoshop run defender. He tries to make it look like he's setting the edge when he's really got no control of the situation.

I fear that he doesn't have the aggressive nature of an NFL linebacker...but maybe it's a matter of growing more confident at OLB? It's a risk to consider.