1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kirk Morrison has heard from Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I heard Kirk Morrison today on the radio, and he indicated that the Chargers were one of the teams he's been in contact with. He said that many teams are waiting because they haven't had enough time to evaluated their young guys this year. It won't be until at least the 1st preseason game that teams will know if their young guys can cut it at this level. Thats why free agency has hit a lull, even though their are a lot of guys available still.

Inevitably, some rookies won't cut it, and some guys will get injured, opening up a slot for a veteran like Morrison. I guess the Chargers have hopes of Butler starting, so we'll soon see if that is a reasonable expectation or not.

2. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I like Kirk, just wonder if we will actually sign him. Maybe if we do grab him, he will be a permanant with Darren Smith.

3. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    He's practically a permanent now .. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. When Lightning Strikes

Ratings:
    +68
    Yeah and hes great. I like his attitude and his love for SD even though hes from Oakland.

5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    There have been quite a few free agent linebackers that have already come off the board ahead of him. Does that mean the Chargers think LaBoy is better than Kirk? If so, are we sure we really want him?

6. When Lightning Strikes

Ratings:
    +68
    I mean thats something to definately think about. I am the best GM the Chargers never hired though and I think his postive attitude is a plus. But, yeah, he has struggled a bit in JAX...but who wouldn't...

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    LaBoy is an OLB...... Morrison is an ILB. They don't play the same position.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I guess the first preseason will determine whether the Chargers think they need a starter or a backup at ILB, it's a given they'll get someone at ILB.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    And you know that Morrison wants to start.

10. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    I have to wonder how good he is, being so young, and not signed to a team's roster.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Better than Cooper. ;)

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How do you know. The Raiders do not play the same scheme we do.

13. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    ^^ Because when he tackles someone he goes forward, not backwards. Cooper is gone, Spikes is our new Cooper in the sense of knowing the D and calling the plays, he will try and develop Mouton and Butler, but for now it will be Spikes as the man.

I think you are right in the sense that we may be hesitant on signing him because he's only played in 43 D's, however I THINK the biggest problem would be money; who knows what hes askin..

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Agreed. I am just asking how someone can proclaim him better than Coop in our system.

Remember, Coop was kept as long as he was because he was smart, he called the D plays that frustrated Manning. That kept him here. Spikes made him expendable IMHO.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I'm talking about his health...... Cooper has two bad knees, and he's not getting any younger. Morrison is healthy and ready to play. He played with the Jags last year, and they employ some 3-4 in their defense. The Charger use a hybrid 3-4 themselves. The player is more important than the scheme.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Why is he no longer with the Jags?

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Because Cooper was crap......... an arm waving, unphysical player, who got by on smarts rather than athletic ability. Clear enough for you? ;)

18. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    He didn't have his best year last year, but then again look at the D line in front of him, outside of Aluala, that d line is trash..Not making excuses but I don't think he's done because he had one off year on a pretty schitty D.

Also, they went and payed Polunsky (sp, for sure lol) HUGE money which sealed Kirks fate.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I assume they went with younger guys, same as the Chargers are trying to do. I'm not saying the Chargers should or shouldn't sign Morrison, I merely reported what I heard on the radio. Has that bug suffocated yet? ;)

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Simple answer... he was told by the Jags that they had every intention of bringing him back; he was one of only two of their free agents (their punter, Adam Podlesh, who I believe ended up being Tampa's $14+M punter) that were not effectively told to clean out their locker. That was before the Jags landed Posluszny however. I believe he was always their backup plan or really their Plan 1B as they intended to make a play for Pos but weren't counting on being able to sign him. They did, and Kirk was no longer as high a priority - particularly with Russell Allen as the swing LB on that squad already.

If he's willing to play for $1-2M/yr believe you me, the Jags would love to have him back in a reserve role, I don't doubt it. But I'd have to safely guess he thinks he's capable of starting in this league and ought be making at least low-end starter's money (which is at least slightly more than $2M/yr given that the vet minimum is now more than 1/3 of that amount).

21. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Id take kirk , always high in tackles and around the ball

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They don't even play the same position. One plays ILB, the other plays OLB

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    One thing I like about Morrison, is he has a very high % of his tackles, which are solo tackles.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    His contract expired

25. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I wouldn't mind us taking a chance on Kirk. He is a pretty instinctive player who might thrive in Manusky's aggressive scheme. Also, another smart player who knows where he is supposed to be and knows how to tackle.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    By the way, I just looked it up and found it funny that in 2 less years, Morrison has more solo tackles than Cooper had total tackles (Solo and assists) over their careers

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That is funny. But who would we cut to get to a point where we can afford him? Remember, they have to hold money to cover M80's incentives, don't they?

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I'm still hoping we sign him.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Ihenacho comes to mind, though he's been pretty productive in camp thus far from what I hear. Holt's a definite possiblity since he's effectively little more than a sub-package and S/T contributor given his lack of size and if we're confident in Mouton and Gackhar's ability to contribute on S/T then he's not needed nearly as much. Same could also be said, much of a great story as he is, for Kion Wilson whose been being given reps at FB, so that's probably pretty indicative of just how well he's been fairing at ILB. Also, depending on how Bisaccia feels about the S/T unit after PS Week 1, as well as his younger guys like Gilchrist, Wright, and Goodman as gunners (the first 2 of which are pretty much a lock to make the final roster), it's possible that we could see Teal and his due-$640K become a casualty.

Also, given that we can borrow somewhere between 3-5% from a future year's cap (as long as it's accounted for in the future), we will easily have that available "bubble" to cover M80's extra $2M in incentives, assuming he even earns them (as you have to assume that most of them are performance based tied to health and statistical contributions not likely to be earned while he's minimum of 3rd in the pecking order behind Gates an VJ).

30. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748