1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Knowshon runs a 4.60 40 time (official time)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    That will drop his stock...slower than the much heavier Beanie Wells at 4.57....certainly not worth the #16 pick. As a point of comparison, LT ran a 4.38 in his 2001 combine run....and while Moreno has good vision, cutting ability, and hands...he falls well short of LT in all of those areas...is slightly smaller than LT (217lbs compared to LT at 221-225)......I know AJ doesn't put a tremendous amount of stock in a 40 time...but this has to be an eye opener.

The question is, if Moreno drops to round 2....do we consider trading our 2010 1st rounder to grab him there as the "back of the future"....I do like that Moreno is versatile....but his pro prospects are not close to the production we are used to out of a legend at the position.

I'm thinking a guy like Donald Brown looks good right now...I believe he was the nation's leader in rushing yards..perfomed well in all drills...and is the versatile type of back we would need as a future replacement. We could probably grab him with our round 3 pick.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Some statements attributed to Baby Spanos would lead you to believe that Donald Brown is in his sights. I'd still like to see Rashad Jennings here.

3. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    we would be lucky if Moreno dropped to us at 16, if you think cause of a 40 time he goes from a top 10 prospect to a 2nd rounder your looking into the combine to much

4. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

If you don't think a disasterous 40 time can drop a player's stock, you must be new to watching the draft. He will be available at #16...and likely all the way to the Cards pick at #31.

5. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I like what I'm seeing / hearing from Brown....Michael Turner also had huge collegiate production and was available late for us to grab. There are a lot of small school talents who can help us in the later rounds at RB.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yall know I've never been a Knowshow Moreno fan.

Wait until LeSean McCoy gets to run his, it'll be closer to 4.4

7. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432

He'll be able to show what he can do at his Pro Day. The combine isn't the only thing that scouts are looking at.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

The pro day times are BS hand times by biased coaches. They don't mean jack. The combine, where all of the coaches show up and players have to perform when it counts...is the only thing that REALLY matters when it comes down to timed drills...At least they are electronically timed there and somewhat legit.

9. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Damn! I think Chuck Muncie ran a faster forty last week and he has to use a walker.

10. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151

Actually, I think the Combine is a joke, for the most part. I think the best analysis is to watch what the guy can do on the field.

11. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

I don't disagree with you....but I think it says a lot about the character and the balls of a player to have the confidence to come out and put himself on display and try to perform optimally when EVERYONE is watching. Game film is ALWAYS the best measure.....but I think with a guy like Moreno, you have to consider the difference in athleticism between college and pro....and that he is running behind a very good collegiate OLine..in a top ranked collegiate offense....Doesn't always translate to the same success in the NFL...especially when....as he has proven here at the combine....that he doesn't really have elite breakaway speed by NFL standards.

Even the combine timing system isn't perfect....but at least you get a semi legitimate time given that the finish is electronically timed....The hand times at pro-days are nonesense for the most part......That's where you get all these guys who run 4.2 40's...and then show up at the combine and run a 4.5.

12. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Ian Johnson balled at the 40.

Beenie Well's Broad Jump is completely ridiculous. He would of gotten 2nd in the WR category.

Moreno, was a little disappointing.

(Jennings and Brown also had a nice day)

13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I never thought Moreno was a burner and he doesnt compare to LT. Never did in my book. Still dont think RB will be a priority and certainly not in the first round. No way do w give up a first rounder to move up to draft one this year either. Moreno is good but he isnt the burner type like we have had and we already have a 4.6 guy in Hester.

14. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Jennings ran two 40's in the 4.6's

15. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    40s are waaaaaaaaaay over rated, the difference between a guy running a 4.3 and a 4.5 or even 4.7 are inches. In a game a breakway run won't come down to a players 40, it'll come down to strength, vision, the line, patience, cutting, and the ability to shed tackles. Not 2 tenths of a second. Trying counting to 2 tenths of second. before you can udder a syllable it's passed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Meant to say Javarris Williams**

17. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    40 times are a bit overrated but i disagree about it being inches apart. They say a tenth of a second such as a 4.4 to a 4.5 is two yards over a 40 yard distance.

But you know, when will that matter much to be real. Angles play a big part in catching a guy or not.

18. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Ian Johnson did have a good showing for himself and raised his stock. He performed well in all drills.

As a point of comparison, here are the top 40 times from last year compared to 2009 for the backs:

Chris Johnson, East Carolina, 4.24
    Darren McFadden, Arkansas, 4.33
    Anthony Alridge, Houston, 4.36
    Jamaal Charles, Texas, 4.38
    Chad Simpson, Morgan St., 4.42
    Rachard Mendenhall, Illinois, 4.45
    Matthew Forte, Tulane, 4.46
    Felix Jones, Arkansas, 4.47
    Jalen Parmele, Toledo, 4.47
    Jonathan Stewart, Oregon, 4.48

Peerman, Cedric 4.45
    Johnson, Ian 4.46
    Sheets, Kory 4.47
    Brown, Andre 4.49
    Brown, Donald 4.51
    Williams, Javarris 4.52
    Goodson, Mike 4.54
    Scott, Bernard 4.56
    Coffee, Glen 4.58
    Lucky, Marlon 4.59
    Wells, Beanie 4.59

19. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Coaches are at the combine timing the players,too. :yes:
    The combine times don't mean jack either. Game tape will show what a player can really do.

I don't care what a player does in the 40, the 3 cone drill or even in the long jump. I care what he does with a football in his hands or when a blocker has him engaged.

20. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I don't care either...to a certain extent....but when a player has a really subpar time, like Moreno did, it's going to raise eyebrows and drop his stock....Last year's example was Hart of Michigan who wasn't expected to be a blazer...but his stock did drop quite a bit for running a 4.61 40 time.

Also, as it relates to game film.....what you see in college doesn't always translate well to what you will see in the NFL.

That being said, the combine means a helluva lot more than the pro days.

Case in point....Chris Johnson didn't get drafted where he did because of his game film or his pro day.....He ran an unreal 40 time and it vaulted him into the 1st round.

21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    NOW PLEASE GET OFF OF HIS JOHNSON! :lol:

I have followed the SEC and Moreno is over rated. I hope this dude is gone by the time we draft.

Shonn Greene for RB!!!!!:tup:

I will back it up by selecting Shonn Greene in my fantasy league next year.

22. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont think it is the tell all tape but when there is somebody like EX- Miami GM Rick Spielman actually saying that the 40 is absolutely the biggest asset to him , then yes, it will make sombody's draft stock go down.

Hec Kyle Boller was a very mediocre QB in college but when he got to the combine he got on his knees and threw the ball 50 yards and it made his stock soar to the first round even though he want that good.

23. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Thats so true. The combine can tell you some important info, but it can't tell character or heart. I don't know what LT ran in his combine but I bet he wasn't Usain Bolt or anything. All he did was lead the NCAA in rushing for 3 years that's all.......:icon_huh:

24. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402

25. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Andre Brown, 4.49, NC State... 4th rd... :tup:

26. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
  27. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    He doesn't look like he has 4.60 speed in this video. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  28. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Im sure his 40 time has alot to do with him bulking up. I watched him in college and he always looked like he was playing at 200-205lbs, and yet at the combine he was 217lbs

Now even at 200, i doubt he would run anything better than a 4.5, but if youre a GM, which are you more likely to draft, a guy who is 5'10 200 and runs a 4.5, or a guy whose 5'10 217 and runs a 4.6?

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I want a guy like a young LT, who's 220 and runs a 4.38:icon_sad:

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551

Does this look like 4.6 speed?