1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

KO's Dropsies?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TheLash, May 30, 2007.

1. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=afcteamreportsworkingtow&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Special teams standout Kassim Osgood is dropping the ball - literally -- in his best chance yet to show on the new coaching staff he can be a receiver. Osgood is big and fast but not terribly athletic, and his bouts of the dropsies not uncommon. With a potent offense looking to spread the ball around more, the fifth receiver slot is open for Osgood or Greg Camarillo to take. Osgood isn't consistently catching passes in coaching sessions and could again find himself lacking chances

bummer

2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Some guys are just meant for special teams...

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Kassim needs to get a role playing an NFL wide receiver in a movie, because he'll never be one in the NFL.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I've never been overly impressed with Osgood's skills as a receiver, but he'll make the team as a Special Team's guy because he about the best they have. Jackson, Floyd, Parker and Davis will be their first four receivers, with Gates being thrown into the position just the scare the crap out of people and create mismatches. Training camp will show whether it's Naamee or Camarillo who stick. Naamee can go to the practise squad if need be, but Camarillo has to find a place on the roster. I suspect he's on the bubble more than Osgood will ever be. Sproles has to find a contributing function beyond returning kicks and/or punts. I see him and I'm reminded of the 'Skins smurfs. Love to see him get some action on the outside. Otherwise he might be excess baggage.

5. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Sproles must light it up in preseason or he's gone, IMO. I mean, he needs to look like Wes Welker looked in his first pre-season; exciting, dangerous, elusive, dynamic... he can't just have a "good" pre-season.

With Turner and Cromartie able to return kicks and Davis, Weddle, and Gordon to compete for punt-return duties, Sproles has to prove he's an exceptional returner and worth the roster-spot.

And Kassim may be under the same gun. We showed last year with Milligan that being a pro-bowl special-teamer only goes so far in assuring a player's roster-spot, and while Osgood is a solid blocker is that going to impress Norv as much as it impressed Marty?

I think that Osgood's future is almost entirely dependent on how much Norv values Kassim's supporting skills, because it's pretty obvious that Osgood just doesn't have what it takes to be a receiver in the NFL. We know Marty loved the secondary-talents that Osgood has, but different coaches look at things differently. If Norv wants his depth receivers to be able to potentially step in and, you know, catch a pass, Kassim's day may be short-lived. It's not like we didn't just bring in 5 prime candidates to play special-teams.

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah, I think the people that think Osgood is on the bubble are insane. He is the best special teamer in the league. His special teams performance in the playoffs was one of the best I have ever seen. Osgood might not be cut out to be a receiver, but his role on special teams is valuable enough to warrant a roster spot.

7. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    We will keep Osgood because of special teams. I was hoping that with more emphasis in offense and with Norv's ability to coach both the QB and receivers he would have gotten better. He still has a chance, although from what I hear he hasn'tC really worked that hard for a receiver spot, or at least not hard enough to earn it.

Camirillo will be dropped before Osgood or Sproles. He is about as good as Osgood is receiving but with little special team talent.

Just my two cents.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    KO's invite to the Pro Bowl last season has earned him, IMO, a roster spot this year. What he lack as a reciever he more than makes up as a special team demon.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    KO is a defensive player in an offensive state of mind. It's time for him to try and make the switch before his luck runs out.:bolt2:

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Its the same issue Hanik Milligan had.

KO better deal with it or we'll send his *** to Arizona too. LOL

11. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

Ya and so did the "birdman" and he was cut :icon_shrug:

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    You betcha'. Parker, Jackson, Floyd, Craig and Camarillo are probably at the top of the depth chart at the moment. With McCardell gone there is a spot on the roster that wouldn't have been here. I haven't seen enough of Camarillo to know whether or not he's got enough of an edge over KO to force him off the roster. Naanee could be the joker in the deck for Special K. Size, speed and attitude. I confess to having a soft spot for Sproles, I just love to see the little squirts make the big guys spit nails. With Brees he wouldn't have a prayer, but with Rivers downfield line of sight it becomes a bit more plausible for him to catch coming out of the backfield on screens or reverses or as a wideout. As quick and strong as he is, I don't think many, if any, DB's could jam him. If he can't cut it, adios. If he can, he'll be soooooo much fun to watch.