1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

KR/PR for 07-08

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LIGHTS-OUT, Aug 1, 2007.

1. LIGHTS-OUT

LIGHTS-OUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I wanted to get everybody's take on who they believe is going to be our KR/PR this year and why. I believe that Buster would be a solid guy for the job but his track record with injuries concerns me and can he physicaly handle that job on top of his WR duties?

Sproles is a another mention however there is debate amongst the board if he will even make the roster this year.

Personally, I think that Cromartie would blow it up here but is he even getting reps at KR/PR at TC?

Whaddya think?

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Even tho most folks would disagree. I'd like Cro to be our primary return. The guy is deadly in the open field.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I'm with Ray.

Cro.

4. LIGHTS-OUT

LIGHTS-OUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Cromartie makes sense to me as well.....he is easily one of the fastest guys on the team (if not the fastest).

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Cro was taking reps at PR/KR on day one.

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I say Turner for KR, Davis/Cro for PR and Sproles goes bye bye

7. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Since he's not going to be our starting CB and we have the nickle covered with depth if need be....I'd love to see Cromartie returning kicks. It could be a way he could impact a game much like Hester in Chicago.

• Like Like x 1
  8. captaind

captaind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Ditto that. I think Burner did a nice job for us last year. I can't think of any good reason to keep Sproles at this point.

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The person I want to be the KR/PR should not be a starter. Starters already are in for about 60 plays per week. No need for them to be in another 8 or so per game.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Don't count out Sproles. Not only is he fast, and not just fast for his size, but legitimately fast. He is quicker than any of the other people on the team who could return kicks. A guy who can make the first and/or the second guy coming down field miss is an ideal return man, provided Sproles has learned the proper techniques and timing of fielding the ball with his weight balanced and up forward. With his low CG, he should be able to manage that. Cromartie will be seeing significant time on the field. Davis will, too, and I prefer not to risk that kind of weapon on returns. Most returners are guys who exist on the margins of a roster, or who are important as depth and are still learning their primary position. Guys like Billy "White Shoes" Johnson. Turner is a great option returning punts, Sproles initial weakness. If Sproles can handle both, then his presence on the roster also gives us another unique weapon to put into the offense from time to time. Sproles was out because he broke a leg, an injury even the most durable can suffer, not because his body couldn't take the pounding. The only reason I would cut Sproles is if he failed to field the ball properly too often. Otherwise he might be making our lives miserable returning the ball for some other team in our division.

11. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

I know there were a lot of games last season I couldn't see due to the fact that I live in the chef's coverage area, but the only player I specifically remember making standout returns was Turner. I hope all these other guys everyone thinks can do well actually will.

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Cro has actually never returned a punt during a game so im doubting he will be the PR man, but who knows.

Turner does just fine as a KR man so id assume he will be the KR guy and really..other than Sproles NOT doing PR....i dont care who else does it.

13. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Oh no, the Ronnie Jenkins argument!

These boards melted down when we dumped Jenkins; and when he signed with the Raiders it was downright chaotic. "He's going to KILL us!" "We really blew it!" "I can't believe we let the greatest KR ever go!"

Funny thing is, I don't really remember ever hearing much about RJ after that.

The same things that limit Sproles here are going to find him where ever he chooses to go next. He might bounce around the league for a few years, but he'll never amount to squat on the field.

He reminds me of Charlie Jones in the 90's. Every year that Charlie was in camp we would read about how he just dazzled that day. He was electric on the practice field. Beathard would beam when he was mentioned and gush about how Charlie "was a football player". He just was never able to get that to translate into a position on the field.

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Was just looking at Cro's FSU bio. He did KR for the Seminoles but no mention of PR.

Other stat:
    He has the same B-Day as me and was born the year I graduated from HS.

We do need someone besides the toe doing PR duties this year and the Burner should be in doing KR duty. The Burner and Cro on kickoffs could be a scary combo.

15. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Considering that Davis is going to give us the speed and deep threat, I think his place is secure on offense and wouldn't want to see him back there for now this risk out weighs the reward. Sproles had his moments and I could see his value had he not been injured. I think he lost the momentum he had and with so many new faces he may be lost in the crowd. He doesnt amount to much of a back up to LT or MT... sorry little guy.

Turner does an awesome job and he needs to see the field as much as possinle, so my vote goes for him on KR. He has the power speed and vision to make it happen.

As far as punts go we have somewhat of a high class problem on whether the starting tandem on the field will sort out to be Cromartie and Weddle or hart and Flo. I'd just as soon let Hart and Flo make the most of their experience in the backfield and give Cromartie an increased role... He should get on the field as often as possible by returning punts, I think Weddle could have a positive impact back there as well these 2 need a chance to prove themselves,

Cro is explosive what if the bears would have not let Hester try, we need to let the CRO man GO GO GO maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

Fielding the ball is the weakness I pointed out. If he can't manage that, he's history and he won't get much play anywhere else, either. If he can, he will be a prime return man. I don't like using the top of the depth chart for returns. If Turner produces more yards, then by all means give him the job. He's the lone exception I make. Question may be academic. With our defense, we may be fielding far more punts than kickoffs. With the exception of opening a game or half, our kick off return guy may be the Charger's version of the Maytag repairman.

17. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Turner will be the KR, that's probably set in stone. But one guy I haven't seen mentioned is Eric Parker. I know he sucked in the playoff game but he's gonna make the squad, and he was reliable until the playoff gaffe.

There is no room for Sproles on the RB depth chart LT, Turner and Andrew Pinnock are 1,2,3 and Pinnock will double as Lo Neal's backup. Legedu will receive the final spot on this part of the roster. What have we really seen Sproles do, other than some nifty cuts during MC and TC. Keeping Sproles means the Chargers have to cheat somewhere else on the roster, and I don't see that happening.

18. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    The thought of that gives me wood. This team is so stacked... I don't ever remember being this excited for a season to start.

I agree with what you say about using "top of the depth chart guys" on returns, which is why I want to see Davis and Turner. Davis won't crack the starting line-up unless he turns out to be exceptional, and Turner is getting paid big bucks to be a backup. I want that money to go towards bettering the team. Sproles contract would be dead weight since we have people that can do everything he does better than him.

And that is one less person to pay.

19. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Anybody likely to be starting this season or next season, I don't want as either KR or PR.

So, no Cromartie.

No Craig Davis.

No Eric Weddle (I think he just may start in 2008).

Maybe Legedu Naanee could fit this bill, since Michael Turner is leaving after this season.