1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kris Dielman considering a comeback??

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jul 20, 2012.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Don't do it Dielman, it ain't worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Eek... on one hand, I'd LOVE to have him back... on the other, I want him to live a long happy healthy life. Maybe those aren't mutually exclusive but based on what he was saying when he retired it'd be a pretty big gamble :unsure:

Not to mention, he's a FA now. If he does come back, I don't wanna see him in anything but lightning bolts (I'm selfish like that)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Doesn't sound like a good idea at all......... resist the urge Kris. Be happy you have a family and your health (cross your fingers).

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    This has Bronco signing written all over it.....

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Maybe not what we thought it was

UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    Kris Dielman will not play again. Un-retiring was a technicality. It appears there will be legal action related to end of his career.

Wonder if he's going to sue the training staff

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    If this means an end to Dr. Chao, then I'm all for it......... sue the bastard! :tup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Upon further review it looks like the unretiring/releasing of Dielman was a legal technicality as he has plans to sue either/both of the NFL/The Chargers for the situation that led to him having a seizure & retiring

9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Sue your neighbor, it's the true American way!

10. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    He is a big bag of money walking around.
    I wonder which lawyer got to him first?

11. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    In this situation he has a very strong case

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    He may have a very strong case but at what point in cost to my pocketbook is it beneficial?

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Since you aren't paying CA taxes (I don't believe) & Chao isn't in a general practice where his malpractice rates would affect you, I'm failing to see the cost to you. Please tell me what I'm missing.

Chao is a quack & needs to go - period. If this is what it takes to remove him from practicing medicine, I'm all for it.

14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    While I agree Chao is a quack, why would it be necessary to come out of retirement in a malpractice lawsuit against a specific doctor unless there are bigger fish to catch and fry?

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Revenge?

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    For what??

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Being a crummy medical chief for this team. The guy may or may not deserve to get reamed, but he surely needs to go.

I want access to the Spanos pics with a donkey so I can escape to Guatemala.

18. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    If Dielman has a brain left in his head after that concussion and seizure, he'll use it to pursue a new career outside of football. I miss him like sin, but as an RN, I've taken care of too many TBI (traumatic brain injury) patients with permanent damage, and I don't want him to wind up in some nursing home, drooling in his lap and having to be spoon-fed.:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If they gave him faulty or inaccurate information on his medical condition that caused him to think it would be safe to go back in. My guess is he's suing under torts claim of negligence

20. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I'm not so sure about that - the video of him staggering around, yet waving off the referee who approached to see if he was okay demonstates his unwillingness to leave the field of play, and one could argue that he made a concious choice in doing so, and therefore consented to accept the risks involved with such action, and the subsequent consequences he suffered from it.

Of course, his lawyers will probably argue that anyone could see that he was dazed and that it was the Chargers' responsibility to remove him from the field and check him out, whether he liked it or not.

Just imagine if NFL referees had the authority to disqualify a player who they think is concussed for their own protection, like ones in boxing do - with all the concern & attention now being paid to concussions & their long term effects on athletes, we may see some kind of policy like that being enacted someday...after all, we've seen how effective that allowing a doctor who is employed by the team in question has been in protecting players from themselves, it may now be approaching time for a neutral party to be given that repsonsibility, if only to protect the league from being named in a slew of future lawsuits.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I doubt they will rule that a guy who is suffering from a concussion is in the state of mind to make such a decision.

The other part of it will be the fact that they allowed him on the air plane rather than getting looked at right away, especially since just about every interview I have heard from neurologists, have said they shouldn't have let him on the plane as the high altitudes very well could have lead to the seizure, and that was preventable and is what actually lead to his early retirement, not the concussion itself

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm looking at it more from the doctor's responsibility (which is where the negligence lies). First as a member of a 'learned profession' (which covers not only doctors lawyers etc but any expert in their field) the standard of responsibility is very high. You aren't supposed to demonstrate average awareness and knowledge but such that would show your learning and experience. So based on that if you see someone staggering around the field after a very hard hit, you have a responsibility (not only based on your training but based on your responsibilities as a professional) to at least bring him out and take a look. That you didn't would I think make a prima facie case for negligence especially because the failure to do such led directly to the seizure and has caused damages. As lancer mentioned the NFL/Chargers would make the case he assumed the risk by waiving the docs off BUT it has to go with a mindset. If you knowingly waive someone off who could help then yes you assume the risk and that's a defense to negligence. But you have to ask if someone who had just had a concussion is in the right frame of mind to knowingly waive off assistance.

And lancer brings up a good point as well with him getting on a plane. That's another case of negligence and that one might be even stronger than the first one.

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If this case is strictly against the attending physician (Chao) I can understand the argument. Coaches, fellow players and referees are not specifically trained in any such emergency medical diagnostic procedures to make such determinations in a matter of seconds. There is no overseer during the game that may interrupt play for removal of a player in questionable health nor a spotter for such occasions.

Proving the fact that Dielman was injured would not necessitate the use of an attorney. Proving burden of responsibility of faulty medical practice or for financial gain would. I ask again? is it all just for the cash or is it truly for the safety of fellow players in future situations that may arise. Personally, I believe it opens up Pandora's box not only for the clubs and liability claims but ultimately to the fan who foots the bill.

24. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    That wasn't me, DenverBolt is the one who pointed out the pooor judgement of allowing Kris Dielman to fly that afternoon.

The team could argue though, that because Kris never even missed a snap and successfully finished the game, that they were somehow “unaware” that he was concussed and therefore of the dangers that the high altitude trip back to San Diego posed to Dielman.

The main problem lies in the fact that coaches are employed by the team and their livelihood is directly affcected by wins & losses, and they are not ususally trained in the intricacies of diagnosing & treating concussions, and the trainers & doctors who do have such training, are also employed by the team and can also be dismissed at will.

25. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    Dielman doesn't have to prove or even want it to be about the safety of other players. Open up that box, Dielman and get billions if you can! and let the billionaires blame players suing for increased ticket prices. And then let angry fans hate the players. More fun for me!

26. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Get back in there Dielman, you pu**y!
    Are you a man or a mouse?
    This is Sparta!

Just kidding..he needs to stay away.

27. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    why are people still discussing whether or not he should return to the game? reading these boards makes me feel like I'm on mescaline

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I wish I got that effect from reading this board. :tup:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are welcome to leave, no one will miss you

30. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    I take it then you don't enjoy mescaline?