1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Kudos to These Guys

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Old School SD Fan, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    The last two games have really highlighted some serious positives we have to work with moving forward, and I felt the need to give credit where credit was due.

- Kudos to Smitty: He may not be drafting real well in the upper rounds most years, but he seems to have a gift for locating talent on the cheap as UDFA, lower round picks and free agents. The defense has really surprised this year thanks to guys like Antonio Garay (who IS this guy and why hasn't he broken out before the age of 31?), Kevin Burnett (playing like he's been reborn as the Terminator), Antoine Cason (a huge upgrade from ScareCro the Matador), and yes, Eric Weddle (almost always in the right spot, most reliable last line of defense and tackler in the league IMHO).

On offense, while I still hate that OL, and believe Rivers is so good he overcomes other shortcomings with the offense, he was helped by the Crayton trade (cost us a bag of chips) and will be by the Mathews pick - although it's still arguable we paid too much for him.

- Kudos to Ron Rivera: Who woulda thought this defense could turn around so rapidly with virtually no stars in the lineup other than perhaps Shawn Philips?

- Kudos to the players: Cason has been solid, Burnett has been better than ever, Garay has been JWall II, Weddle has been Mr. Reliable as has Q. Jammer. Siler has arrived. A bevy of strong safeties have gotten the job done, Shawn Philips has shaken off his moniker as "the other guy".

On offense, Rivers has been incredible, Tolbert has been an adequate starter at RB and a surprise, even Hester has improved noticeably at fullback as a run blocker. Gates has been a warrior, VJ has been unmistakably a game changer, Mathews has shown great potential. Crayton has proved himself a steal before he was hurt.

- Norv: Gotta say he seems to know how to get the team going with their backs against the wall. Maybe we can start the first half of a season with someone else in charge and bring him in at the half? :confused:

This team has a way of dashing your hopes, then at the last possible minute - aided by a collapse by an AFCW opponent - rising from the ashes to provide new hope. Really an emotional roller coaster ride. Now PLEASE Rams, beat those Chiefs!

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It is fun to be a fan. One day Norv and AJ suck and the next, happy days are here again.

If you post this at the Union forum, you will get crucified. I see your self imposed hiatus is over and that forum jumped you upon return. It may however, provide hours of entertainment watching the inmates go ape.

3. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13

Nope, done with those guys. And the hot and cold fan reactions are a direct result of a maddeningly inconsistent team. BTW, my overall opinions are no different on AJ or Norv. But they deserve credit for the things they do right, not just criticism for their mistakes.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    True however this team would be better off cleaning house and getting rid of AJ and Norv if I understand your position. Winning division titles is not enough and anything short of a Lombardi is dogcrap. That sentiment permeates my thought process almost to the point of wanting to clean house every year starting from the top and not AJ and Norv necessarily. The years of coaching carousels is something I want to avoid at all costs. That was too fan painful.

5. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13

I'm not an annual 'clean house' guy. But I feel Norv hasn't overachieved in 4 years with the talent he's had, and that's what you want from a coach. I hold him responsible for the annual slow starts, I don't like his offense a whole lot, he puts too much pressure on a sub-standard OL to hold blocks for his 5-7 step drop offense, he's too stubborn about ramming the ball up the middle on predictable downs. I don't find his offense that creative. Rivers IMHO is so good he overcomes some of those handicaps Norv hands him, such as, oh, 3-4 delay of game penalties.

Smitty started out strong but has faded big time in his drafting, I 100% disagree with his anemic use of free agency, I don't like his gruff dealings with people, they're unnecessarily antagonistic. I don't really like his penchant for trading multiple picks to move up. Of the three guys he did that with, only Mathews shows me potential value justifying it but he's stuck behind a rather poor OL for run blocking. Accordingly, I'd have rather kept the picks, gone OL with one and RB with the other. Tolbert has been adequate anyway, certainly to hold us over.

In the end, I just think there are stronger HC's out there and better GM's that manage to stay outa the press and run better drafts.

Are they horrible? Heck no. I give AJ & Marty credit for turning us around, but just like Marty taking the hit for his failure to get us to the next level, that same criteria should be fairly applied to these guys too. Norv gets credit for the late season turnarounds and for taking Rivers to the next level. I also think he's assembled a good staff, to his credit.

Hey, maybe we make an improbable playoff run and I end up looking foolish and wrong, I'd love for that to happen. Truly I would. But the standard should be to get us to that Lombardi, and just like cutting Dungy and bringing in Chucky boosted Tampa's offense enough to get things done for their trophy, maybe we're at that point where we need a change to get us over the hump.

"Stay the course, a thousand points of light" doesn't always work. Ask George Bush the 1st.

6. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    First off, gbt1st? Could have done without that comment. Name some better coaches. Consistancy in the coaching department (look at 49er's turnover) is what makes for at least a leg up on the road to winning. For a long time (I'm not sure how long people were wanting Martys head for the cloud of dust offence he ran) we have had coach turnover. Few have coaches remained with a team. I can just think of two and only one is still with his team and he may be gone next year. Chower He's gone and the tennennsee dude. (can't think right now, distracted by the gb reference) I'll remember after I post this, dude doesn't matter to me anyway.