1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

L.A.-area voters OK plan to help lure NFL team

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    INDUSTRY, Calif. -- Voters approved a bond measure Tuesday that would provide $150 million for infrastructure improvements at a 600-acre site near Los Angeles where a stadium has been proposed to lure an NFL team.

Voters in Industry, a tiny town about 15 miles east of Los Angeles, passed the measure 60-1, though city officials have yet to certify the plan.

The results support a proposal by billionaire developer Ed Roski's Majestic Real Estate Co. to build an $800 million stadium if an NFL team agrees to move there.

Industry is hosting the latest in a long string of plans to bring an NFL team back to Los Angeles after the Rams and Raiders exited the nation's second-biggest market.

Majestic, which helped develop Staples Center -- home of the NBA's Lakers and Clippers and the NHL's Kings in downtown Los Angeles -- is convinced a disgruntled football team would jump at the chance to play in a new stadium.

NFL officials have said the league is monitoring potential stadium developments in the Los Angeles area but have declined to comment on specific sites or teams that might move to the region.

Majestic agreed with NFL officials not to make any formal overtures to team owners until Industry officials certified the plan, which they could do on Thursday at a City Council meeting.

Neighboring cities worried about traffic and noise have threatened lawsuits to stop the stadium. And there is no guarantee the National Football League would condone Roski shaking loose a team from its current home field.

The $150 million was proposed to improve streets, lighting and sewers on the site, with repayment coming through ticket sales and parking fees. It was included in a ballot measure that called for the city to raise a combined $500 million through the sale of general obligation bonds to funds street repairs and other enhancements throughout the city.

City Clerk Jodi Scrivens said the voting results were unofficial but appeared solid. Industry has 84 registered voters, mostly old-timers whose homes were grandfathered into the city when it was incorporated five decades ago. It is zoned primarily for business and industry.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3847920

2. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Well that's it....:no:

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Voters approve bond on proposed SoCal stadium site

INDUSTRY, Calif. (AP)—Voters approved a bond measure Tuesday that would provide $150 million for infrastructure improvements at a 600-acre site near Los Angeles where a stadium has been proposed to lure an NFL team.

Voters in Industry, a tiny town about 15 miles east of Los Angeles, passed the measure 60-1, though city officials have yet to certify the plan.

The results support a proposal by billionaire developer Ed Roski’s Majestic Real Estate Co. to build an $800 million stadium if an NFL team agrees to move there.

Industry is hosting the latest in a long string of plans to bring an NFL team back to Los Angeles after the Rams and Raiders exited the nation’s second-biggest market after the 1994 season.

Majestic, which helped develop Staples Center—home of the NBA’s Lakers and Clippers and the NHL’s Kings in downtown Los Angeles—is convinced a disgruntled football team would jump at the chance to play in a new stadium.

NFL officials have said the league is monitoring potential stadium developments in the Los Angeles area but have declined to comment on specific sites or teams that might move to the region.

Majestic agreed with NFL officials not to make any formal overtures to team owners until Industry officials certified the plan, which they could do on Thursday at a City Council meeting.

Neighboring cities worried about traffic and noise have threatened lawsuits to stop the stadium. And there is no guarantee the National Football League would condone Roski shaking loose a team from its current home field.

The $150 million was proposed to improve streets, lighting and sewers on the site, with repayment coming through ticket sales and parking fees. It was included in a ballot measure that called for the city to raise a combined $500 million through the sale of general obligation bonds to funds street repairs and other enhancements throughout the city.

City Clerk Jodi Scrivens said the voting results were unofficial but appeared solid. Industry has 84 registered voters, mostly old-timers whose homes were grandfathered into the city when it was incorporated five decades ago. It is zoned primarily for business and industry.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...sLYF?slug=ap-nfl-losangeles&prov=ap&type=lgns

God I hope the Chargers stay in San Diego... :tup:

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264

Oh s**t. This could be laying the groundwork for the beginning of the LA Chargers.....:icon_eek:

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807

They're the SAN DIEGO SUPER CHARGERS - NOT LA.

Bring the Rams back home to LA, then the NFL has 2 NFC and 2 AFC teams in Cali. :yes:

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    LA has played their cards right in this situation since day one. Basically telling NFL "if you want it, you make it happen, or find someone else that will."

Though I do have this question... "will Ed want any share of ownership in the team?" I mean I can see how this stadium could benefit him personally but $800 million is a lot to invest in something that isn't really your's. Then again, he'll probably have PSLs for season ticket holders.

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    The one thing that gives me hope is this...

The only way he makes his money back let alone any profit is if he has a serious amount of ownership in the team. The Spanos family is not interested in selling the team or even part of the team [at least not from what I have heard and seen] so that puts the end to the Bolts going to LA. At least to Roski's stadium.

That and the Bolts belong in San Diego. No where else. Period. End of story. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I heard Roski on the radio (believe it was am 570) before the season started and he stated that LA would have 2 teams playing in LA by the end of the decade. One would be an existing team while the other would be an expansion team. He also said he would not be surprised to see a team playing there in 09.

If I had to put money on it the existing team would be the Rams. They still have a big fan base around town, probably bigger than the Chargers.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    San Diego needs to get it together and build a new stadium. I'd hate to see the Bolt's leave town.:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  10. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    exactly!:tup:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We ALL would but it's going to be hard to make that happen with the economy being the way it is.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Hmmmm. They can get working on this project in a few months?
    I guess the team could play in the Coliseum or Rose Bowl in the mean time.

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    And what on earth makes people think that LA will even support the Team.

Hell they had the Raiders who won a Super Bowl as the "LOS ANGELES" Raiders, and the city would not even support them then. The Rams left town also.

What has changed to even think they will support a new team now?

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

It's ALL about the TV market. That's what NFL sees.

Question... when you say that the Raiders couldn't get fan support in LA, are you talking about game attendance? I do remember watching games at the Coliseum on TV and seeing it not even half full.
    I'm thinking that most people don't want to go into South Central but then again, aren't college games hosed there? They seem to do well with attendance.

This brings up another interesting point... if the Chargers moved to LA, then they just majorly pi**ed of their fan base and will have to really rely on a new fan base forming in LA.

15. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Roski is going to have to really put his effort into this to convince an existing team to relocate no matter what. It isn't easy for an entire professional football team to relocate a la the Baltimore Colts anymore. The logistics seriously stand in the way all over.
    As far as an expansion team - ew. We don't need yet another team that will screw up all the schedules/drafts/salary monitoring. No thank you.

16. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    I know I'm probably in the vast minority here, but I'd love to see the Chargers move to LA (I live a bit closer to LA than SD).

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Exactly, if you do not put people in the stands, how are you going to justify putting the
    Team on TV?

18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    One other interesting thing...

When XX-1090am held it's rally before the Pittsburgh game, Mayor Sanders was there. He was asked about the stadium issue. He said "I think SOMETHING could be worked out". Now, that is the first and ONLY time I've ever heard him say anything REMOTELY like that.

Then in today's paper we see this:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jan/20/chargers-city-suit/?chargers

Ok, WTF? The city sues the team now? :icon_shrug:

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    San Diego Chargers of LA?

20. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I heard 190 people voted on this LA measure. It wont mean anything to the Bolts. The city is suing the Chargers because the had to to keep their claim going or it would have expired due to legal restrictions. The city is now the Chargers friend because Agguire is finally out of office. Mr. Agguire was bad news for everyone in the city.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If this new stadium happens, do you think that will make a difference? Obviously, Industry is a better location than South Central.

22. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    A couple of things to keep in mind....while I like everyone else worries about the Chargers bolting up north....it's still easier said than done and this thing will be a shytestorm of litigation before the smoke clears.

1. There is more than one existing NFL team that covets the LA market....The Oakland Raiders and Al Davis are one and Al considers the LA market his and his alone...he is almost guaranteed to sue in any scenario involving another NFL team moving into the LA market. I believe he already has a loophole to get out of his lease in Oakland and won't even hesitate to screw over that city again to move back to LA in a brand new facility that he desperately wants......Also, the Vikes and Jaguars have been scoping out LA for some time.

2. The other existing LA stadiums are pissed about this. The Colloseum and Rose Bowl groups have been pining for and NFL team to move in and for the exisitng stadiums to be renovated.

3. There is civic opposition still to a new stadium in or around LA about as bad as it is here....There will likely be a Bruce Henderson or Agguirre type in LA who will engage in their own version of frivolous litigation to hamper that project (probably following the Petco example down here where there were no reprecussions against Henderson or Agguirre....and Little Napoleon Agguirre actuallly made enough of a name of himself in the process that he managed to get elected city attorney).

4. The Chargers fan base is in SD..This has to be a consideration...The Spanoses dabbled with the training camp in LA and it was a disaster...the team drew a pitiful amount of fans at practices while the cowboys practices were watched by thousands in a worse facility....That town is full of either bandwagonners of big name teams or fans of the Raiders...not many Chargers fans.

I personally think that it is FAR from a sure thing that the Chargers are moving north.

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Who cares what Al Davis does, how many times has he been sued, lost, and refuses to pay.

24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    It doesnt matter one bit where it is located.

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Oh.

How did the Rams do attendance wise in the late 70's/early 90's when they were somewhat competitive?

I know their attendance sucked through the rest of the 80's and 90's but that's bound to happen when your winning 4 games a season.

26. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Correct. If I'm not mistaken he said the new stadium would be ready in 2011 or 2012

27. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    And on the flip side, the Raiders won a Super Bowl, so they were winning. And the Raider Nation is a lot bigger then whatever the Rams had.

28. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Yeah, not to mention the depletion of the talent pool coming from the college ranks. If the league decided to expand again and add a team in the l.a. market you can bet the league would expand again at a later time to even out the teams. I would hate to deal with that uneven schedule as you mention. As it its, the league IMO is 2 teams too big. Further expansion would be the equivalent to Div II college ball as far as team talent is concerned.

29. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

All the NFL sees is

$$$$$$$$$$$$$