1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

L.A. stadium environmental bill signed

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Oct 22, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    L.A. stadium environmental bill signed

Well, there's the first hurdle cleared.

And the fine leaders of San Diego can't seem to get a move on. :tdown:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4585508

INDUSTRY, Calif. -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has signed a bill allowing the construction of a 75,000-seat stadium that developers hope will lure an NFL team to the Los Angeles area.

Schwarzenegger announced the signing of the environmental exemption bill Thursday in Industry, where the stadium would be built about 15 miles east of Los Angeles.

Officials say the stadium would generate more than 18,000 jobs and more than $762 million in economic output.

Senators last week approved the bill, which would nullify a lawsuit filed by nearby residents over the project's environmental impact.

Developer Majestic Realty Co. has said the San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers are on its list of seven teams it will approach about a move to the Los Angeles area.

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Not many fans have realized the Chargers did a subtle name drop a few years ago. :yes:

The name San Diego in many logos and campaigns for the team now just says "Chargers"

The theory is that it makes it easier to move the team and not worry about the team's somewhat official city name.

Do you think the team was thinking about this move years ago?

You betcha they were.

They planned ahead. :bolt:

3. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    More like the last hurdle. the City of Industry has past EVERY vote put to it to go forward with the staduim....no aguirres or hendersons here! or bumbling city councils...the only thing left would be for a lawsuit that has been stated that a personal citizen will put up, that was part of the "official" one that was negated by this bill signing.

I can't see any judge going forward with that after arnie giving the exemption.

4. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    ...and why wouldn't they? Spanos offered to build this thing years ago and was told to go F himself 'cause he wanted the rights to develope the surrounding area.

Another point that a lot have used against his plan was the EPA issue with the land around the Murph...do people really think now that he wouldn't have got a state exemption to go ahead after seeing this?

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The city of San Diego is being run by the jester and his fools.

6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I agree to a point, but let's not forget the economy was in a lot better shape (well, perception wise) than it is now. The govna probably saw the jobs that would be created, the money generated, and revenue it would generate and figured what the hell.

Let's do this

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074

Spanos does not want to stay in San Diego, and San Diego does not want the Chargers to stay. Just look at the way we are treated every week at the Stadium. The Chargers only cater to the people with money. Just look at the Gold Club and well those people are treated, then look at the rest of us, we are treated like cattle!!!!! They have taken away how long we can stay in the parking lot, you cant smoke inside the Stadium, you cant leave the Stadium and come back. If you park on one side of the parking lot, you’ll pay hell trying to move into another section. You have to stand in line for over 20 minutes just to go to the bathroom, and it does not matter if you are out in the parking lot, or inside the stadium.

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    H8er, this is nothing new. Every team in every sport are running their organizations the same way. It's all about the money and who has it gets to make the rules

:tdown:

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just ask Redskin fans how bad FedEx Field has gotten ... & it's only about 10 yrs. old.

I'm not excusing the Spanos family & I do feel that they are quietly working their way out of SD, but the entire NFL is catering to the money crowd. Just look at the push for PSL's & more luxury boxes. Soon the average Joes won't be able to attend a game.

When I think about it, it makes me want to say screw the NFL & just watch college ball. :icon_evil:

10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I'll stay with youth sports.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    At some point you gotta think we'll be lucky to even keep the Chargers as close as L.A. I think I could still root for them in LA.

If the Jags get L.A., and the Chargers still want a new stadium they could move out of state, in which case NFL football is dead to me.

12. zatoichi

zatoichi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    If the Chargers want to compete (you have to wonder sometimes), they really need to move to LA. The Chargers are in the bottom quartile in revenues. As the NFL becomes more like MLB, teams with weaker financials will be fodder or minor league clubs for the rich ones.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Go Cha-juhs. Straight up to La-La Land. :icon_evil:

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The NFL is already the MLB

Below are the top 6 teams that appeared in the SB.

8 Dallas Cowboys
    7 Pittsburgh Steelers
    6 New England Patriots
    6 Denver Broncos
    5 San Francisco 49ers
    5 Washington Redskins

out of 32 teams, 17 have won a SB.

9 teams have been once
    5 teams have never been.

WE ARE FODDER

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If anyone thinks the stadium has a chance in Escondido - forget it. The land is divided up between many businesses some of whom may not want to sell. Escondido does not have eminent domain powers so this leaves negotiation. The area they are proposing is a shithole in Escondido.

I-15 / Highway 78 is not kind to heavy traffic even with the recent improvements. If you know where the swap meet is at in Escondido - that is the spot.

When fans see a Joint Powers Authority established - then have hope otherwise; it is all smoke and mirrors until then.

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

X1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    If the Chargers move out of San Diego County I will say the same exact thing!

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Ok so you get your Joint Powers Authority, where are you going to build it? Chula Vista has told us to take a hike. Do you have some secret formula that grows dirt?

In case you havent noticed there are not too many large parcels of land left that you can build a Stadium on.

Face it, San Diego does not want the Chargers here in town, if they did they would of have all ready gotten the wheels on motion to get this thing done. The law suits would just run the cost up and tie up the building of it.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hey Deano - call me. I've got land & Snyder is alienating all of the Redskin fans. :lol:

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The County of San Diego has LAND - HELLO. No secret formula to manufacture dirt out of thin air is needed. Remember the HUGE county parcel discussed at the 163/15 junction ? :icon_shrug:

The San Diego County Board of Supervisors also have a budget that is in the black which means they are flush with cash.

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Raleigh would love to have the Bolt's and Rivers in town. The Raleigh Rebel's, Yeah that's it.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So that's where you are.

Richmond Rebels sounds better to me. And I have the land. :tup:

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Aguirre is GONE. The lawsuit dude Bruce Henderson is now on the Chargers payroll as a outside consultant if I recall correctly. The excuse of lawsuits is not valid anymore. Of course anyone can file a lawsuit so........

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    As long as it don't mess up the race track. That's just a short trip up the 85. :icon_toast: :tup:

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
  26. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    I'm probably in the vast minority here but I'd love a move to LA.

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Go Jimmie Johnson, an El Cajon boy going for his fourth title in NASCAR. the only true champion San Diego has ever had.

28. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The Thing that pisses me the Fugg off more than anything is the Environmental reports and studies that are required here to see if a fugging faerie shrimp that lives in vernal pools (Fugginng Sea Monkies in Mud Puddles) can be protected and as well other habitats that can be effected by building a stadium from all these studies and reports.

It Costs Big $$$$$$$$$$ to make those things happen.

Arnold with a pen just erased all of it in LA so they can build a Stadium but not here in SD. That is what Fugging pisses me off as well.

29. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The positives could outweigh the negatives.

Its possible if they don't get LA that they could leave the state in a few years. At least if they move to LA I can still swallow some pride and root for them.

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    You would think that Spanos would be crying for Arnold the Terminator to ink something for San Diego to by-pass all of the regulatory **** yet nothing.

Suspicious que no? :yes: