1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

L.T. fires back at Neon Deion’s criticisms

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jan 22, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22770232/

SAN DIEGO - LaDainian Tomlinson has a sprained ligament in his left knee but won’t need surgery.

However, the superstar running back took a hit to his image during Sunday’s loss to the perfect New England Patriots, simply because of the way the truth sometimes takes a beating in the way NFL teams release news about injuries.

Tomlinson missed Wednesday’s practice but worked out the rest of the week and wasn’t mentioned on Friday’s injury report. He hurt his left knee against the Colts, with the team saying then it was hyperextended, Tomlinson said after Sunday’s game that he has a sprained medial collateral ligament.

Tomlinson said he re-injured the knee when he was hit on the first play from scrimmage against the Patriots. He carried only twice, both in the opening drive. He caught a short screen pass the following series before retiring to the sideline for good, with more than 9:45 left in the first quarter.

Early in the second quarter, it was announced in the press box that Tomlinson had a “sore knee” and that he “can return.”

Tomlinson is one of the humblest players in all of pro sports. He was the NFL’s MVP in 2006 and has won two straight league rushing titles. Yet his toughness was questioned by fans and TV commentators alike, including former star cornerback Deion Sanders of the NFL Network.

Sanders said he was under the impression that Tomlinson was close to 100 percent. “I have expectations, and when you don’t meet my expectations, you open yourself for us to try to guess,” Sanders said. “Now what’s the problem? You’re a big-time player. And big-time players must play big-time games.”

Sanders also said he thought Tomlinson’s injury would need to warrant a surgery “for him to get a pass on this one.”

Tomlinson didn’t appreciate hearing that.

“He’s never been a running back and had a sprained MCL,” Tomlinson said. “You tell me what running back has played with a sprained MCL and been effective. You might go out there and try to limp around and play, but it’s not going to happen. I don’t know how information gets passed on, but until you talk to the source of the problem, what’s going on with me, I think it’s ridiculous when people make comments like that.”

Tomlinson said he understands that teams don’t like to let opponents know what’s going on, and that it might lead to players’ toughness being questioned.

“I think the funny thing to me is, all the things I’ve played with through my career and haven’t missed a game, now all of a sudden I’m not tough?” he said. “You think I just wanted to sit on the sideline and not go, in the championship game? You think, me? Come on, man, that’s ridiculous.”

Tomlinson said he wasn’t aware of the information that had been announced to the media.

“Well, I don’t know how they got that. I didn’t tell them that,” he said.

On Sunday, Chargers spokesman Bill Johnston declined to clarify where the optimistic update on Tomlinson’s injury came from.

“There was some miscommunication on whatever happens in the heat of the game,” coach Norv Turner said Monday. “But shortly after the first quarter, I was not of the opinion that he would return to the game.

“I’m disappointed that anyone would think negative about L.T., because I know if he could have played in the game, he would have.”

Tomlinson said he knew he was done when he didn’t have his usual explosiveness after catching the screen pass.

“If I would have played, I clearly wouldn’t have been effective,” he said. “My thinking also was, a 100-percent Michael Turner and Darren Sproles was way better than a 50-percent me. It just didn’t make sense for me to try to play.”

Tomlinson said he’ll probably sit out the Pro Bowl.

2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Not this fan...

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    So do I LT, so do I. And what the flock is Deon talking about? He avoided tackling people like the plague and never wanted ANY contact! Talk about a wuss.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    WTF does Deion know about toughness? Mr. "Tackling is for Linebackers" needs to STFU.

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    You know, we have way to many LT threads at the moment, but I'll post this here.

LT broke several ribs against the Raiders a while back. I've had broken ribs and know it's painful. For me it was painful to even breathe. I can't even imagine the amount of pain he endured to play with those broken ribs and continue to absorb shots.

If it was about being tough... If it was about enduring pain... If if was about being a "big time player"... If it were just about these things, LT WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT THERE.

No, this was about an injury to his knee that affected how he could perform, how he could cut, burst, move. With this injury he knew would not be able to perform. If anything, it would have been selfish for him to insist on being out there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    When Rodney Harrison was able to blitz and execute a spin move against LT, it was obvious to me that the dude was far from 100%. At 100%, LT would have stoned a spin move from an old fart like Rodney. But with his lateral movement compromised, LT couldn't even keep up with Rodney.

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Yep. Human physiology and neuroscience are the operative factors here. Not only the affected joint, but other muscle groups would have been negatively impacted by the injury since the body protects its injured parts and there is no getting around it. There is no question whatsoever about whether or he could have or should have played. The cheerleading debate is horse manure. As for Deion, he would have been a natural for a second career as a matador.

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    LT is finally realizing something he has never faced.

His dad died waiting to watch his son play in the Super Bowl this year. :icon_eek:

When LT starts to see family dropping like flies waiting for the big dance, I wonder how he will handle it then?

Of course this makes me a bad fan - How dare me for thinking out loud. :tdown: :unsure: :icon_eek:

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Neon "Glass" Deion had as much contact in an entire season as LT gets nearly every game he has played in his NFL career.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Now I know where several Bolt Talk posters get their ideas from!!!

Like LT really cares about Sander's little club and plays to get Sander's respect.

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    hmm... i didnt need surgery, but i had a minor concussion last year from football (so did the other kid) does THAT constitute a pass for that douche?

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    LOL. Might want to write him and ask.

13. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    haha ok i think i might.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The whole thing rubs me the wrong way.

I think LT is hitting a wall in a sense and by that I mean he is facing things he has never had to deal with in his life (knee injury, dads death, now the fans). How will he react? This is adversity and a test. That is what I mean.

I am asking the question and speculating and it makes some uncomfortable.

Hey, I know LT is not a pom pom waver. I know that. BUT I have seen him pump up his mates on the sidelines as well. IT APPEARED TO BE SULKING.

Now that I have read from fans actually in attendance that the bench demeanor was representative of what we saw on the TV, it does not set well with me. Not at all.

It is not easy to call out chinks in the armor of one of our heros but that is what I saw, felt and have heard from those who attended.

I guess it makes me a bad fan to question why the hell I could not at least get one good asspat from LT in the biggest game of his career. I am not looking for cartwheels but damn, I am not expecting a corpse.

15. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

How do you know what was said on the sideline? If LT stood next to Norv cheering and clapping, people would have been complaining about him not playing when he was able to stand. If LT took his helmet off when talking to teammates, people would have been complaining about his facial expressions throughout the game.
    There is no microphone with which you can hear what is happening on the sidelines. Rivers, Turner, and Lorenzo all went and sat next to LT. Rivers choose to sit there, rather than with his receivers. Maybe it was the warmest spot on the bench? People make way to big of deals about this crap.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am not really trying to make a big deal out of it. It was what I felt. I was not happy with that scene.

What is bizarre is that I am not calling him a puss outright but in a sense, he did puss out because of his actions or more aptly put, his inactions.

I can not shake that feeling despite him being Mr. Class and all world and the best RB I have ever seen in my life.

This makes me a bad fan in a forum but in real life?

I know where I stand.:yes:

17. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

I actually think that a lot of people deep down inside feel the same way. But it's very difficult to come to grips with. The guy is an ICON and the best player the Chargers have had in many many years and arguably the best they ever had. It makes people uncomfortable to question him.

He is human like all of us. Unfortunately, some feel the need to attack fellow fans for being honest about what they feel rather than the player himself. When the game was over, I admit I flew off the handle over on the UT board. I was hammered and rightfully so. I let emotion take over instead of good sense. Now I feel exactly the way Trumpie feels. LT is a great player and I will always root for the guy. But something about his demeanor this year and on this past Sunday rubs me the wrong way.

18. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I don't know how this is even a story. If Brady had been doing the exact same thing on the sideline with a torn rotater cuff the story would probably be how awful it was that he wasn't able to play.

19. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I understand. I have not been happy with all of LT's actions this season, and I would say that this would be right up there with one of his hardest seasons yet. However, he was one of the catalysts in sparking the turnaround in the team, and I seriously doubt that he would have sat out that championship game if he could have performed at all. Could he have been more emotional on the sideline? Sure, but LT isn't that kind of cat. I know that he talked to Rivers and Turner about the game when they went and sat next to him, but I also know that he isn't going to go be a cheerleader and try to draw attention to himself on the sideline when he isn't able to play in the game.

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554

yeah, that's what it is. Deep down I agree with you, but I'm just so caught up in worshipping LT that I can't bring myself to admit that my hero let the team down. :lol:

Wow, you're impressive. You're able to blow smoke up Trumpy's *** and your own *** at the same time.

People are assuming things about what LT did or did not do, about what he said or did not say. If you want to trust some gut feeling you have, fine. But don't act like your opinion is based on fact. I could say that every time I see Belichick and Brady, my gut feeling is they like to fist each other, but that doesn't mean there's any truth to it.

Once again, LT has done enough as a player and a person the last seven years to earn the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. He's not T.O. He's not Ryan Leaf. He's a tireless worker and a class act. He's one of the greatest players in NFL history who has stated repeatedly that all that matters to him is winning championships. If he could have done something to help his team win on Sunday, he would have.

If LT had stood next to Norv and cheered, it would not have changed the outcome of the game. So what are we really talking about? It seems like people are just looking for someone to blame, and LT's an easy target.

21. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

You are just a wee bit too sensitive.

Great...so you believe the guy can do no wrong and I don't.

What's the f'n problem?

22. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    I can kind of understand the disappointment in LT, but I think it's way off base. LT's actions on Sunday are totally consistent with his actions over the course of his career. It's been pointed out, correctly, that he's not a rah, rah kind of guy, and all of sudden that should change because it the AFC championship? I think not. :no:

I'm completely satisfied with LT, the best back in football, perhaps soon to be the best RB of all time, just as he is. :yes:

23. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Deion has no right to question LT's toughness because he was out with a turf toe ( sorry if i didn't say that correctly) . He is the last person who can question LT's toughness. There is no reason to question his toughness. LT just should of took off that stupid viser and then media wouldn't be questioning leadership in him as well as toughness. Well LT has never really been the leader of this team he is just the superstar.. There is no reason to question LT's toughness he was smart in his thinking about the injury.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I didn't say I believe the guy can do no wrong. I said that he has earned the benefit of the doubt until it has been proven that he did something wrong.

I care about the team and the players that comprise it. When people make baseless accusations to disparage the players and the team, I'm going to state my opinion strongly.

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Bingo. Give that man a cigar. :tup:

What I find even more astonishing is that some are not even willing to admit the remote possibility brother LT had a mini-melt down because jersey values will fall or some stupid **** or my hero - oh me - oh my syndrome.

I am not trying to be a dick about it either. :no:

I do not read the UT drama anymore and haven't for the last two years. Too many kids and it just got old with MOD turnover and rules....fuc that noise.

26. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Agreed and would we have ben in the playoffs without 21 on our team 3 of the last 4 years i think not. we probably would have been about a s good as the detroit lions.it is what it is ,we couldnt score in the redzone ,in my opinion and its only an opinion we should have been goin for it on 4th down not kickin field goals but im not a coach i just bleed them colors long live L.T whom without we would have been in alot of trouble for the last few years people need to count there blessings

27. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Perfectly put.. Its his demeanor this year that has been getting to me of all things. I didn't want to see our RB to get hurt worse because he wanted to be brave and play.

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    None of us were expecting major theatrics from LT nor questioned his heart by not going into the game, dude it was the fact the guy turned into a sphinx. :lol:

This is the biggest game after all and I know you are hurt but grab a pair of crutches and hit somebody. :flag:

29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Dude, again, you don't know what he said or did not say. Just because he sat on the bench with his helmet on, you're assuming that he wasn't paying attention or supporting his teammates. Why?