1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

L.T. heads back to S.D.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 13, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    L.T. heads back to S.D.

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2010 11:51 AM ET
    The Vikings got the first crack at hosting LaDainian Tomlinson. He left town without signing a contract.

Next came the Jets, who were unable to get L.T. to place his "L" and/or his "T" on the dotted line, possibly because Rex Ryan spilled food all over the contract.

Now, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that LaDainian Tomlinson has headed home to San Diego, where he presumably will ponder the two pitches and decide his next move.

Though it's possible that he'll make other visits, we've consistently heard that the most likely outcome is a choice between Minnesota and New York. And as fans of the two franchises hope that L.T. picks (or, possibly, doesn't pick) their favorite team, keep in mind that both the Vikings and the Jets will have backup plans. And, sometimes, the free agent who got away puts the team on a better path.

If, for example, the Vikings had signed receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh last March, they probably would not have drafted Percy Harvin. Though Houshmandzadeh could have been a solid weapon in an offense featuring Brett Favre at quarterback, Harvin is a young player who could be part of the team's nucleus for a long time.

And for the Jets, if they hadn't lost out to the Vikings in 2004 when trying to sign cornerback Antoine Winfield, perhaps someone other than Darrelle Revis would have been the first-round draft pick three seasons later.

The point is that, while it's easy to get worked up about the possibility of scoring a "win" during the portion of the calendar that includes no scheduled games, sometimes when it comes to free agents it ends up being better to lose.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/13/lt-heads-back-to-sd/

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10427632709

2. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Choose the Vikes LT....You've made enough money.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    LT needs to pull a "Dielman" and sign for LESS here. :tup:

If LT does that ... hats off to him otherwise ... bye. :bolt:

4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Won't happen. Norv has already pissed in his cheerios.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Money makes people kiss and make up. :yes:

LT crying like a biatch made freddy-kruger's twin feel bad. I gotta believe Norv went for the kleenex after watching LT's tear jerker....Then again Norv was probably laughing while drinking his martini poking fun at the legend. :lol:

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    LT has to go elsewhere to try and prove that it is Norv's system and not his old *** that has caused his decrease in production. How ironic will it be if we have a 1200 yard rusher next year and LT has not improved his production. :lol:

7. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Unfortunately that is not an option for LT. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big LT fan but his time in San Diego is done, this last season is all the proof that is needed. LT is not the man any longer, he is definitey not the mentoring type and playing second fiddle would likely result in a locker room disaster.

Whether it was due to loyalty to the fans, fear of fan base displeasure, or fear of letting a player go too soon, Dean should have never forced A.J. to keep LT over Turner. (conjecture on my part)

Players come and go. Winning is all that matters. That is why a good GM, like A.J. has the reputation of being a uncaring hard ***, his decisions must be about winning, and nothing else. To hell with all the public relations stuff.

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Didn't you read the thread title? He's heading back to S.D.!

9. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Yea, but the title didn't include, "with his tail between his legs."

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Don't we have an uncapped season this year?

11. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    What if fish had tits?

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

What makes you think that he would not be willing to mentor a young RB? He said he would.

And I don't think he'd have a problem playing less time on the field. He still gets opportunities to break records and has the possibility of getting a ring. Besides, this is more Rivers team. Why would it cause a disaster in the locker room?

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Bottom line... it's not about money or cap room. There was no reason for this.

14. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    It would be great news if he did sign a contract with SD like the one the Vikings and Jets are offering. I think SD could handle that. I doubt very much he will, too much pride and he thinks that somehow a new team will make him run faster and be younger.

Norv Turner has done all he could for LT. Putting him in just to give him stats. Forcing the running game for LT. Designing new plays to put extra men to block. All while LT secretly moped blaming everyone, but himself.

15. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Good to have you back man.:icon_toast:

I would love to see LT stay here in a backup mentor role for less $, but there is no way in hell that's gonna happen.:no:

16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Now it is all starting to make sense,,,,,you know,,,,,AJ's plan. Dangle Sproles to get some feelers out there. Once you know there is a market, tag his ***. Then, let LT go whore himself around for a bit to get the market value for himself. Go back to SD and then based on what other teams were offering, get a deal done here in SD. He comes out looking just like Dielman. AJ comes out smelling like roses because he retained the local hero. Then Sproles can be dealt at the draft to move up and we can get Spiller for LT to split time with and help him along and Spiller can take over Sproles jos as Kickoff/Punt returner.

Fricken brilliant AJ,,,,,,,fricken brilliant!!! :popcorn:

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Personally I like matthews better. Spiller is just another sproles as is best. They're all about speed. What we really need is a powerful , quick, smart, aglie rb. WE need someone who can get 2 and 3 yards when needed all on his own. Tate or gerhart or dwyer or even dixon should be in the mix as well.

I still think LT will go to new orleans and just enjoy his last years in the league. I don't think LT really cares anymore about being the guy. He just wants to have a chance to win a championship and have a good time. HE's already richer than rich so I don't think money is that big a deal for him anymore either. Its all about fun and padding his HOF stats.

18. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    :icon_rofl: Come on, is AJ really that big of a pimp? :icon_shrug:

19. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Well, ya gotta admit, he has to start thinking outside the box because sticking to his beliefs haven't earned us anything other than bragging rights over the AFCW.

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    A team that has a running game would give him better opportunity. It's not a pride thing, he's just not ready to retire and he's not going to do it because some bloggers say he should.

And Turner hasn't forced anything, you need a solid running game no matter how good your passing game is. Doesn't matter how good your QB is... if he has no running game and has to keep putting the ball in the air, he's going to get picked off. Warren Moon had the problem with the Vikings and so did Payton Manning for one season.

If you ask me, our bigger need is at full back. We haven't had a solid full back since releasing Neil. Sure Tolbert has his moments but he's not solid enough. We haven't seen enough of Hester (at FB) yet.

21. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Aren't those called mermaids?

Pointy :icon_twisted:

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    IF LT still had some gas in the tank WE WOULD HAVE HAD a running game.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    This

It's silly to suggest LT failed only because we didn't have a running game.

Hello. LT was supposed to be our running game.

That'd be like trying to excuse Nate Kaeding's playoff woes because "he'd do better if we only had a kicker in those games."

Maybe Kaeding should move on to a team with a better kicking game and he'll do better.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    A running game take a running back, a quality line, and good play calling. We had none of the 3, and next year even if we get a RB in the 1st, we still won't have 2 of the 3

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    If you accept the claim that we didn't have a good RB and add on that we also don't have good run blocking what grounds do you base the claim on that we didn't have good play calling and/or wouldn't have it in the future?

If we accept the premise that we don't have a good running back or good run blocking what kind of play calling would be good?

Run the ****** RB up the middle to try and get through nonexistent holes? (since the run blocking sucks)

Run the ****** RB to the side where he can't turn the corner?

I'm not saying we have the best run-game play calling in the world, but if you're going to argue that we didn't have the tools to have a good run game you can't possibly draw a conclusion on whether or not the play calling would be good because the person in charge of calling plays has/had nothing to work with.

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is where we disagree. I don't LT is great in any way, but I also don't think he was ****** as you say. He had ****** production due to poor blocking and uncreative ****** play calling. If you know running it up the middle isn't working, why keep doing it? Would LT have had success outside, or on counter plays or on draw plays? Maybe, maybe not. But we don't know since Norv called 99% dive plays with our "******" RB.

If our running game game was so important, why didn't we get a RB early in last years draft? Why did we draft a RG who came from a pass only offense? Running the ball is just not important in this scheme, plain and simple

27. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    +1 to Leo for taking the words out of my mouth.:)

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    +1 more

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    So, you don't think LT was a bad RB in 2009/10?

You either agree with that or you do not.

If you do you can't draw a conclusion on the play calling, especially if you're going to tack on the claim that the run blocking also sucked.

To respond to the question of "why run up the middle when it's not working?" Again, what is he supposed to do if he doesn't have the tools? Just pass every down?

It's not as though every run call was up the middle. He ran to the side to and failed just as equally.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    And I love how people have short memories.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've had to remind people that Norv Turner had an effective run game in San Diego in 2001, 2007, and even 2008 when he actually had a good RB (and yes, even good run blockers) to work with.

But I guess because it sucked in 2009 Norv Turner just does not know how to run an effective running game to compliment his passing attack.