1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

L.T. looking ahead to future

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Jan 12, 2009.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jan/11/chargers-s12ltside/?chargers

Sunday, January 11, 2009

PITTSBURGH – LaDainian Tomlinson Sunday missed his first-ever start due to injury.

“It's not a good feeling,” he said afterward.

Having to watch much of the Chargers' past four postseason games, sidelined last year by a sprained knee and this year by a torn tendon in his groin, has Tomlinson unsure but motivated about his future.

“What I'm looking forward to is proving I can play every game again,” Tomlinson said after the Chargers' 35-24 playoff loss to Pittsburgh. “I've always prided myself more than anything on being there every game. For me, I want to get back to that point where I'm playing every game.”

The man who could not be stopped for so many years – gaining more yards and scoring more touchdowns between 2001 and 2007 than any player in the NFL, breaking records and assuring his spot in the Hall of Fame – is feeling mortal.

He had the fewest touches and fewest yards of his career in 2008 and knows he is no longer the center of the Chargers' offense. Even he wonders what the future holds.

“I'm not getting any younger,” he said. “I can't go back to being 21 or 22 ... I'm questioning myself. Over the last two years getting hurt and not being able to play, you start to question yourself whether you can play a full season.”

Tomlinson left the locker room Sunday night, nattily dressed as always, knowing it might be the final time he did so as a Charger.

“I don't know,” he said. “That's something I have no control over. I'm under contract. It's not like I'm going anywhere. Nobody said nothing to me.”

Tomlinson is under Chargers control through 2011. But his salary-cap number is $8.8 million in 2009, a season he will start at 30 years old and coming off the two season-ending injuries.

With those considerations, as well as the quandary of what to do with free-agent-to-be Darren Sproles, the Chargers will make the decision in the next couple months what to do with their star.

The Chargers could trade him, likely hoping to get a middle-round pick along with a player, or they could simply release him out of respect to the San Diego icon.

A legendary worker in the offseason, Tomlinson will hope to heal in the coming months rather than undergoing surgery. And then he will get back to work.

“That's the great thing about being an athlete and playing this game,” he said. “Everybody is going to have to answer to injuries at some point in time in their career. Then you have to ask yourself, 'Are you still the same player if you stay healthy?' I think for me that's the question I'm asking myself going into the offseason.

“I just got to make sure, whether with the Chargers or somebody else, that I'm ready to play football next year.”

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    We better not get rid of him.

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    if the chargers want to keep improving it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and trade him. But the loyalty thing will probably keep him with the chargers. As much as we all love LT he is on his last legs as a nfl running back. Sorry. Plus his salary cap of 8 million would allow us to keep other players that we will need in the future.

I'm guessing the loyalty thing will keep the chargers from trading him. Fans would get upset if they traded him i suppose. But for the best for the team it would be smarter to trade him if possible.

We need merriman and a couple of other good players more at this point.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I think trading him would just be another slap in the face to the fans.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I don't know. The look in his eyes yesterday during the post-game interview suggested to me that he may be thinking about hanging 'em up.

I know that sounds crazy and I hope it's just me being paranoid. Probably just the post-loss vibe.

But he's at that Barry Sanders crossroads right now.

He's still got his health. His HOF status is secure. And he's probably losing confidence in his team's ability to win the big one.

I want him to come back in career revival mode. Hopefully he'll defy the odds.

6. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    how about asking for a pay cut? wonder if LT would but butt hurt, but when he is questioning him self maybe not

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am worried he is going to retire. For two offseasons now he has talked bbout it. I would hate to see him go out without the ring.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Think maybe he's trying to force AJ's hand?

9. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I worry he may have played his last game as a Bolt against the colts. The business side of me looks at his salary cap hit for next season being significant, and that money could be used to address other needs. The fan side of me just can't believe we would even think of trading him while he has some value. What that value is I don't know. His health will determine market value. I'm also afraid LT will be joining a long list of Charger greats/fan favorites without a ring. Damn! This sucks a big one.
    :icon_cry: :(

10. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I think that him retiring would actually be the best thing. We get the cap money back, and we don't have the PR problem of releasing or trading him. He is not going to have surgery and I think that means he would not be able to complete next year also, but we would have to pay him.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    LT has laid it all out on the field for this team, he deserves another shot at it with this club. He might restructure his contract in order to retain other younger players and have a chance to win.

I'm sure after the last two season's, he knows himself, he can't be the focus of this offense. He's not done by any means and he isn't getting any younger and I'm sure he'd only go to a team with a good chance of winning.:bolt:

12. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...This is a man with intense pride. I have a feeling he has something to still prove whether it be with the Bolts or elsewhere. If AJ is dumb enough to actually just release him, then he will officially garner the title of "Fraud" instead of his once proclaimed Gawd.

AJ scewed up on Brees, then the Burner. I hope he does the smart thing with Sproles, LT and Merriman. Not sure of exactly what will unfold because of potential health issues but I do know that Sproles needs to be resigned in a hurry.

13. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    He can't do it all himself. He's put this team on his back for years. I don't know who to sign to help him, but the team could really use some sort of big powerful back to get in there and soften up the defense. And then commit to really using a 2 and 3 man backfield to keep them fresh. It seems to work for a lot of other teams.

14. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I think so, too. He still can be the center of our run attack,
    when he is healthy. Look what J. Seau did. LT is the brandmark of the Chargers. As long as he's getting 1000y a season we shouldn't let him go. He, too isn't the player, who likes moving around to play for other teams.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I don't understand why he won't have the surgery. Geez, my 82 yo grandma just had surgery friday for a broken hip and it was no big deal.

Maybe he really is a pu$$y.

16. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think he was just pissed cause we lost.

Barry was healthy and in his prime when he retired. LT on the other hand is kind of banged up. I think LT might stick around for another two years to make up for these injury plagued seasons.

One more thing, Barry Sanders knew that his chances of winning a superbowl with the Lions was zero. LT is not on the Lions.

17. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Word.

There's no way to tell if he's "done" at this point. He didn't play well? Why? Because he's been hurt and on a team that has sucked for the vast majority of the year? Anyone remember Rodney Harrison?

This might be a good litmus test to see if you really think we should let him go... Who would you trade LT to? The Cheifs? The Raiders? The Broncos? The Patriots?

If any of those scenarios makes you hesitate then you're probably not as convinced as you think you are.

Get him well, get the team working, then kick the tires. It's the only way to tell at this point.

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Like I said... if he loses enough confidence in this team, he might just perceive it as the same situation Barry was facing.

I don't want this to happen. But it very well could.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Just when you thought this organization couldn't get any dumber...

Releasing Neil last season was very, very, very stupid!!!! You'd think they would have learned. Apparently not! :icon_evil:

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    one year is too little information to decide if someone's going downhill

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol::lol:

Fu.ck man.

SLOW
    DOWN

Tell me what you think the article just said.

22. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    He won't retire because he has too much to prove still. Hopefully he's back next year and if we win the SB I could see him retiring then, because then he's accomplished all he's wanted, he'd be a HOF, a SB champion and would leave on a high note.

The thing with Barry Sanders is the Lions had no hope at all, and there was no way the Lions were going to let him go elsewhere. The Chargers actually have a shot at the SB.

23. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    you mean the guy that asked to be released? you dont wanna be here then you can walk

24. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Acee is trying to stir **** again.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    ..or maybe he's trying to soften the blow. :icon_shrug:

26. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

What did he say about Sproles again:lol:

27. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    WHY WON'T LT GET THE GODDAMN SURGERY?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?

28. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    Cus he's getting advice from Merriman :icon_shrug: :no:

29. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    Last night I heard LT say in an interview he didn't want to do the surgery route but he wasn't writing it off that he was going to talk to some other doctors and see what the overall opinion was. I took it as a preference to not have surgery and a long rehab vs. resting and being ready at the beginning of the season.

:icon_shrug:

30. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    It sounds to me like LT is still considering surgery. The Chargers staff isn't going to force him to get it. Plus, acoording to LT most of the people who have gone through this "or worse" did not need surgery and came back just fine. He probably doen't want surgery.