1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

L.T. may not retire as a Charger, if A.J. is still the G.M.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2010 7:16 PM ET

Sure, former Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson now wears green instead of powder blue. But when the time comes for L.T. to call it quits, he'll sign a one-day contract with the team with which he became a star, right?

Maybe not.

Tomlinson said Sunday that he possibly won't retire as a Charger, if A.J. Smith continues to be the General Manager.

"[M]y relationship with A.J. has been rocky," Tomlinson said, per Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune. "And so it's hard for me. It's hard for me to just accept going to retire with the Chargers with A.J. being there."

The relationship between Smith and Tomlinson reached a boiling point in 2009, when the 2006 NFL MVP issued a statement regarding his future with the team, and Smith responded with comments that seemed to mock Tomlinson. Smith quickly backtracked, but the damage apparently was done.

Though we've yet to send in our application for membership in the A.J. Smith Fan Club, he seems to be guilty only of assessing his team without regard to the names on the backs of the jerseys -- and of declining to smooch the rear end of a player whose best days are behind him.

Besides, we thought Tomlinson was no longer talking about the Chargers.

Maybe he'll resume his vow of silence, starting . . . . now!

UPDATE: Per Acee, Smith has responded. "He's with the Jets now, not with the Chargers, so I fully understand where he's coming from," Smith said. "He won't have to worry about his retirement. By the time Dean Spanos makes the arrangements for him, I hope to be on a secluded beach somewhere in the Hawaiian Islands. So it will all work out well. My sources tell me, there might be similar arrangements going on in Green Bay and other teams in the future. It's something a lot of us deal with at times. It's part of the business."

2. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Just say this is a month after a messy divorce, you think there is good vibe coming from either one of the parties? I hope that time should heal all wounds.

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    L.T. is just making it harder and harder for me to remember way back when he was a great player and not a pissy little b*tch.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Come on Tomlinson just STFU and lets play football.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NoPads

NoPads BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    The Tomlinson situation reminds me of a friend. He had a woman living with him because she couldn't make it financially on her own. Over several years, he helped support her, married her, and helped pay for her to get a college degree. As soon as she had her degree, she was ready to move on and wanted a divorce.

He was disappointed and bitter that she burned him after he'd done so much for her. LT is acting out of the same emotion.

LaDainian Tomlinson and Drew Brees were instrumental in pulling the Chargers out of the cellar, making the team respectable, and then making it a playoff contender. We're a long way from the team that was 1-15 before John Butler drafted Tomlinson and Brees in 2001.

Cut LT some slack. He obviously feels bitter about Charger management based on the contribution he made over nine seasons.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It sounds as though he really wanted to retire a Charger, and almost like he's regretting leaving for the Jets.

If only he'd have taken the pay cut and realized this wasn't his show anymore....

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Get over it, He didn't leave for the Jets. He was fired and even AJ said that a pay cut wasn't happening. AJ and Norv didn't want him here, and he knew it. That is why he isn't here.

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    No slack here. He is quick to talk about how he understands that football is a business when it doesn't affect him or when he got his contract renewed last year. If he understood that then he has to understand that the Bolts had to go in a different direction without him.

What your friend went through is far far worse then what LT is going through. What LT is going through is a change of scenery, still doing what he loves to do, still has goals to reach and money is no issue. Divorce.....well, this is a Bolts board and not Dear Abby so I'll just leave it at that.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    LT has just proven that he alone was the poison in the Chargers Gatorade.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Who gives a **** if he retires as a Charger?

Does his accomplishments over his Hall of Fame career make him any less of a Charger if he doesn't sign a meaningless one day contract just so they can say he retired "as a Charger" despite playing his last game elsewhere?

It doesn't matter what he does when he retires. 10 years from now when people look back at LaDainian Tomlinson's career they'll think of his time as a Charger. Not the last year or two he tried to keep his career alive as a Jet.

Do you think anyone thinks of Willie Mays as a Met? Or Johnny Unitas as a Charger? Or Joe Namath as a Ram?

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    NO he wasn't. He just didnt' want to be paid less.

What he's saying now is not very wise of him. He's not making friends. I've read even the jits are upset about it.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I agree with this. LT may have felt like AJ and Norv didn't want him here, but I think thats just him being insulted by the pay cut and reduced role they wanted him to take on.

I think if he'd known his other offers would be so poor, he'd have rather just stayed in San Diego and played his role.

All his talking has pissed me off though, I'm not too sad that he won't be wasting carries here this year. The ball is better off in the hands of Mathews and Sproles.

13. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    To me it just oozes LT trying to pit the Bolts fans against AJ. Trying to see if he can run AJ out of San Diego. Sounds like LT thinks very little of the fans to put his relationship with AJ his determining factor over the fan support that he has had over his 9 year career. :tdown::no:

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Don't think of Lance Alworth as a Cowboy, either.

15. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Have to agrre with this. As much as I wanted the Bolts to win a championship with LT it seemed to become glaringly clear that it just wasn't going to happen. Here is to chapter 2 of the San Diego Chargers #1 running back!

16. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    give me a break this statement is 100% wrong:tdown:
    i am not happy he wont stop talking s***. but to say its all his fault is way off base. LT prob is with AJ and not the Chargers. i really wish LT would STHU thow, and take the high road cuz everyone already knows how AJ is when it comes to playes on the team he considers everyone on a one year contract.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,411
    LT should shut the hell up, but to say he's the sole reason we lost in the playoffs is so off base it's almost comical.

LT did not hand the Jets the ball in their own red zone.

LT did not fail to make a tackle on 4th down or let Shonne Greene make him his ***** in a long touchdown run. (That honor belongs to other guy who left us for the Jets)

And I suppose it's LT's fault he was injured in the playoffs in 2007 with a bad knee injury that Terell Davis said he wouldn't have played with. (You know, the guy who played through a concussion in the Super Bowl?)

18. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Well said Rep.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,411
    10 years from now none of us are going to say "Remember that LaDainian Tomlinson guy and his press conferences?"

20. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Kick his ***... :lol:

:icon_tease:

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,411
    And what I find funny is that a lot of the same trash Chargers fans are now talking about LT and his "crybaby" press conferences from the playoffs is a lot of the same **** fans of other teams were saying after they actually happened and Chargers fans were defending him from en masse.

I guess now that he wears a different set of laundry suddenly he was crying then instead of being "emotionally dedicated".

22. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I wonder what New York thinks of their little headline maker. Is it Jets' policy to make controversial statements all the time?

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I was looking at that tonight. Their fans seem to be eating up his little speeches about being dedicated to winning a Super Bowl, and giving a 100% of himself to the team etc... You know, the same stuff he said here countless times.

The problem is he doesn't have the ability anymore, and they're diluding themselves into believing he is better than Thomas Jones.

24. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    I will always remember Montana as a Chief.

(?)

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Or Emmitt Smith as a Cardinal.

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    You have heard their head coach right? Nuff said

I'm going to assume that this is LT being pissy right now and that he will retire a Charger whenever the time comes. If this actually happens I will be pretty unhappy, and not at AJ

27. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    "L.T. may not retire as a Charger, if A.J. is still the G.M."

And if LT is still being a little *****!:icon_shrug:

28. count_agranoff

count_agranoff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    LT needs to stop talking chargers like he said he would. this is just silly. retire a charger come back and coach the running backs, he'll come around after Mathews rips it open next year.

29. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    LT should worry about his role with the Jets, and forget about the Chargers. Like was said by others, it's getting tough for me to remember the good stuff LT did here. I heard yesterday that he was selling his house in SD, and moving his residence back to texas. Sounds like he will become a distant memory as time moves on.

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I've been asking LT to STFU since his breakdown against the Pat's and just how classy he is. In retrospect, I can now see where the divide in the locker room spawned from. I would hope that I'm wrong but LT is the only person running his mouth and just wouldn't be part of the team. He still want's to be the whole team, Lt those day's are long gone don't kill off all the good you stand for in San Diego.