1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

L.T. says he can play four more years

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Feb 24, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    L.T. says he can play four more years:icon_rofl:

Posted by Mike Florio on February 24, 2010 5:32 PM ET
    In a press conference that was as much about the future as it was about the past, running back LaDainian Tomlinson predicted that he can play pro football for four more years.

Of course, before he plays even one more year, he needs to find a team that will pay him the kind of money he expects -- and that will give him the kind of playing time he thinks he deserves.

Contrary to his prior suggestion that he wants to play for a contender, Tomlinson said, "I don't have to win now," and that he'd be happy to join a team that's on the rise and headed in the right direction.

(For some reason, the Browns came to mind when I heard him say those words.)

This subtle massage to L.T.'s comments from Monday could be an indication that he prefers to be a key player for an up-and-coming team and not a bit player for a championship team. And it's clear that Tomlinson still believes he can play at a high level.

He attributed his decline since winning the MVP award in 2006 to the departure of coach Marty Schottenheimer, which given the arrival of Norv Turner resulted in a shift away from the run. But Tomlinson had only 19 fewer touches in 2007, so we're not sure that the dip was the result of a decision not to give him the ball. Still, L.T. was borderline defiant: "Did I get old the year after I won the MVP? I don't think so."

Tomlinson declined to talk about any of the teams he might have heard from. In our view, however, one thing is clear -- if teams agree that Tomlinson can play for four more years, he won't be on the shelf for four more days.

Unless, that is, Tomlinson wants more money and playing time than any interested teams currently are willing to give him.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/24/lt-says-he-can-play-four-more-years/

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He probably can.

3. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Is Ricky Henderson still playing baseball?

I don't know why that question just popped in my head.:icon_huh:

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think its pretty clear he'll go for the money

I don't blame him, but I wish he wouldn't have made the statement he wants to go to a contender

5. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    But the Chargers is a contender. LT is contradicting himself.

6. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Never happen. Unless it's as a backup, or Houston changes thier mind about him.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yeah, because him saying "It isn't about the money" was just a blatant lie. He will only go to a contending team where he can get the best opprotunity to get quality carries. He has made around $70mil in just NFL money during his career, plus a lot more in incentives. He doesn't care about the money, and it will not play a part in where he goes.

But you can continue being a hater and living outside of reality if you want

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Not a contender that will give him a good chance of being a contributor with quality carries. If he stays, he will continue getting poorly planned dive plays over an over into a line that cannot open any holes.

He wants to play for a contender that will ALSO give him the opportunity to get quality carries. He will go to New Orleans (the #6 rushing team last year) and will get 150 carries at 4+ ypc. Or he can stay in SD, get 150 carries at 3 yards a carry. Why would he want to stay here?

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I wish LT well with his new team and I can agree with four more years. They will be as a spot player only, no way he can carry the load anymore. Last year was painful to watch as the run's he once made with ease simply were no longer there.

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    who said I was a hater? And how the F*** do YOU know what will and will not play a part in where he goes?

I guess your reality is certainly more accurate then mine

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Wow, peoples, lets remember 2 things please:

1) We are all Chargers fans here.

2) I am the one that attacks others out of the blue, I dont need competition!

12. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol:

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Can he do it and be effective?

(Not rhetorical)

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Simple, he will have to be part of a RB core team, on a team that would be balanced to not allow the D to stack against the run.

Emmitt Smith had several years after Dallas. Will he lead the league in rushing, no. But he could very well play several more years and be effective, just not to the levels he was two years ago.

It is not that great a stretch of the imagination.

15. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    So LT wants a SB Championship right? So does this mean he doesnt think the Chargers can win one anymore or is he just done with us? Thats what I am so curious about. I feel like he gave up on us by not being flexible with SD to redo his deal again. So is it money, records or a Lombardi? I think he is going after records now.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    This is just my take on it, but I honestly feel that there is some level of bad feeling in the locker room as LT eluded to. It could simply be that LT doesnt feel that other players are dedicated to winning. LT probably also is not feeling comfortable in Norvs system.

Then let us remember, last season AJ wanted to release LT, and Dean Spanos made the choice to keep him. So this probablt (in the scenario in my mind) perculated and small things were taken as big things.

LT probably did need a fresh start with a new team. He will probably be a mentor to a young RB. That would probably not be something he could do here.

LT according to my sources will still be active in the San Diego community and will be a Charger forever once he graduates...

17. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Watching his buddy Brees get into the SB before he did probably was what made him lash out against the organization and his teammates. He probably thinks that he has to do what Harrison, Seau and Brees did which is leave SD and he'll have the same sort of luck of making it to the big dance. Had the Saints not made the SB, perhaps he'd be more willing to stay another few years in a reduced role.

I don't know, but I have a gut feeling that jealousy of Brees had something to do with him wanting a new start. As far as him playing for 4 more years, yea maybe. But all we will see is the same LT we've saw this past season.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Could be, I can see LT senseing his mortality at this point. :unsure:

19. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    To me it is pretty simple. LT emphasized that he "knows" how the business works. He understands it's a "business". Well, the last I looked, businesses are in business for one reason....MONEY. AJ has never waivered on his stance that he will offer a player what he thinks he is worth. Obviously, what they offered or wanted to offer LT wasn't the amount that LT wanted. So for both the Bolts organization & LT is was about the bottom dollar. Nothing more and nothing less.

LT said he wants to play for a contender and the Bolts are. He said that he doesn't need to be "the man" and ho wouldn't have to be with the Bolts. He said that he would be happy to be a mentor for a young player, if the Bolts draft a RB then he would have been exactly that. Everything was inline for him to remain a Bolts based on his own words. The only issue would have been the money they would have offered him.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    LT won't play for the Chargers for less money and is willing to go out into the open market to see if he can make more, (which he probably will). Its just like Brees failing to mention that the Chargers DID make him a contract offer, bad shoulder and all, but he chose to go with the Saints who put up 9 mil up front instead of 3 mil - he took the money and ran. By that omission he has constantly been trying to "rewrite history" at every opportunity by saying "only the Dolphins and Saints wanted him" - did the Dolphins ever make him an actual contract offer? I think not.

The "evil" Chargers organization continues to get painted as ****-canning players in the media - it will not stop until the Chargers have won a 2nd superbowl, in the mean time the NFL fans will lap it up.

Damn I hope we can win ONE before I pass...

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    To respond to the constant arguments/claims I've been reading regarding Norv's system getting all, or the bulk of the blame for LT's lack of production the past two years.

LT ran for 1,236 yards and 10 TDs and added an additional 367 yards receiving as a rookie under Norv's system in 2001.

Then, in 2007 when Norv's system returned, he ran for 1474 yards and 15 TDs and caught 475 yards and another 3 TDs.

Even in 2008 when all the "he's washed up" claims started persisting he still had 1,536 all purpose yards and 12 TDs....in Norv's system.

Could it be that he's simply getting old? No, it's all Norv's fault right?

22. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Yes it was Norvs system, but you are forgetting that it was not Norvs system in its purest form!

He was the Offensive Coordinator so they were his plays, but they were applied around the use of a POWER running game...not the finese blocking schemes we have now. Marty and his OL coach at the time put emphasis on power-running schemes added to norvs offence...maybe that was the big difference in the end.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    This counter argument would make sense if Mike Riley wasn't the head coach in 2001.

Also, if it didn't blatantly ignore 2007 and 2008 which were also addressed in my post.

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

You can get perterbed about what ever you like. Getting perterbed about other peoples opinions is like farting in a hyperbolic chamber, it only affects you...

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Well, I cannot tell you what "perterbed" means... but I can tell you about this fantastic invention!!!
    :icon_tease:

Amazing New Hyperbolic Chamber Greatest Invention In The History Of Mankind Ever

April 27, 2005 | Issue 41•17

OAK RIDGE, TN—After six grueling years of Herculean research, scientists at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory pronounced EHC-1 Alpha, the new hyperbolic chamber, "an unquestionably, undeniably, fantastically revolutionary milestone in the history of science, mankind, and the universe, all of which it will undoubtedly change forever."

"Hyperbole researchers have arrived at, without possibility of argument or refutation, the single greatest moment in all of creation, now and forevermore," said the project's lead scientist, Dr. Lloyd Gustaveson, activating the hyperbolic chamber's gazillion-ultra-watt semantic resonator at a gala launch party Monday. "The divine flame kindled by our new hyperbolic chamber will cast its light down through the centuries, making the Promethean fire that brought forth life on earth seem like a brief and guttering spark. Behold—we recast the cosmos in the image of the ultimate!"

A federally funded program launched during the Clinton administration, the hyperbolic-chamber project was roundly criticized at its inception by lawmakers who argued that it was too expensive and had no industrial or military applications. Republican senators were particularly vocal, with one congressman claiming that the project would "run Jesus-kabillion dollars over budget," and be "more useless than 12 rows of tits on an NFL fullback."

The EHC-1 Alpha survived many rounds of budget cuts, however, in no small part because of the tireless efforts of lobbyists who decried the chamber's congressional detractors as "Philistine Nazi Neanderthals."

"Today, we do not merely silence our critics," Gustaveson said. "We commit them to that newest, foulest level of eternal indignity and unending infamy: the dark, ignorant era before the amazing, incredible hyperbolic chamber!"

"There has never been anything as amazing as this awesome machine," Gustaveson added.

Responses from within the scientific community have been positive.

Writers from Scientific American dedicated the May issue to the chamber's development and technology, calling it "brilliant... unsurpassed and unsurpassable. No mere milestone, the EHC-1 Alpha hyperbolic chamber is the achievement from which all future milestones shall be measured."

Not to be outdone, Nature is planning a June special issue in which it will call the device "singular in its quasi-divine perfection... the ne plus ultra of human ingenuity."

And Popular Science quickly placed the chamber on the fold-out cover of its next issue, which reads, "****ING AWESOME!!! THE BALLS-OUT H.C. IS 40 TIMES BETTER THAN SEX... AND COUNTING!!!"

Although it is difficult to find critics of the EHC-1 Alpha, those who oppose the machine do so vocally. The project's most prominent critic is Sandia National Laboratories' Dr. Owen Comstock, who argues that hyperbolic-chamber research has little social value and that federal funds would be better spent on his project, the high-energy, lowest-common-denominator-inductive Supercolloquial Mundane Adjectival And Onomatopoeic Accentuator.

"EHC-1 Alpha?" Comstock said. "Pfft. More like the craptastic crapobolic crapulator of crappity-crap-crap. Blarf. In addition, it is ugly as ugly can get, raises several safety issues, and is so freaking stupid I had to puke at how stupid it is."

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30990

26. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Back on topic, the fact that LT has said it really means nothing. Off the football field LT just has his opinion, and it's a slanted opinion at that. (He wants to make the argument that he still has it. If he can blame his lack of production on Norv's system his argument is stronger.)

28. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I actually think that it is a combination of the system and his diminished skills. If we bring a "fresh" RB into play next season then we will see if it is solely the system.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I'm sure the pass-happy system is part of the factor. I'm not an idealist who thinks all-or-nothing.

But if you listen to a lot of jaded Chargers fans on the subject you'd think LT was still in his mid twenties and is only being held back by Norv's system that doesn't know how to use LT correctly.

If he goes to an overly aggressive run-happy system with a younger back who'll carry the larger load and a massive offensive line that'll open up huge holes every play I'm sure he can have some amount of success at this point in his career.

But...our system is not an overly aggressive run-happy system, nor should it be considering the personnel (namely the quarterback) we have.

And bringing in a "fresh" RB may or may not prove anything because it could be, for all we know, that the new RB just isn't that good. Even if it's a "proven" guy the RB in question could have just benefited from the system he was previously in.

The only thing we do know for certain is that LT has had 3 effective, successful seasons under Norv's system and one bad one.

But apparently RBs can't succeed under Norv's system because a 30 year old LT didn't fare so well in 2009/10.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Why dont you enlighten everyone how Norv's system is to bear no blame, and LT is to bear it all?

Are you arguing that running up the middle into the teeth of a defense without any guile is the way to give a RB, young, old or otherwise a chance to be successful?

To me it looked like the running game was simply use to keep D's honest and not just focusing on the pass. The OL practiced the pass more than run blocking so they excelled at one over the other.

Does LT aging impact his production, yes. Was Norvs system RB friendly, hell no.

Sorry if that perturbs you but that is my opinion.