1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LA Plans a new stadium

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by EsDee_in_RI, Apr 17, 2008.

1. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I hope their not trying to talk to the bolts....

Part Lakers, Kings owner schedules talk on luring NFL
    Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Edward P. Roski Jr., a part owner of the Kings and Lakers who has spent several years trying to lure the NFL back to the Los Angeles area, believes his latest concept for a stadium could help finally land a team.

On Thursday, Roski will unveil his idea for a stadium in the City of Industry, near the southern intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways some 20 miles east of Los Angeles, said John Semcken, vice president of Majestic Realty, Roski's real estate company.

The stadium would be surrounded by a high-end shopping mall, and located on a vacant property which Roski already owns.

"We've spent the last year designing a football stadium that is ideally suited for the Southern California marketplace that will be a part of a major entertainment, retail and office development," Semcken told The Associated Press.

"We want to take all of the uncertainty out of this stadium situation."

If a team committed to moving to Los Angeles, "we could begin construction in the final quarter of this year and have it ready for play for the first exhibition game in 2011," Semcken said.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the AP that the league wasn't involved in Thursday's news conference.

Los Angeles, the second-largest market in the country, has been without an NFL team since 1995, when the Raiders moved back to Oakland after playing 13 years at the Los Angeles Coliseum and the Rams moved from Anaheim to St. Louis.

Los Angeles lost out to Houston for an expansion franchise since that time, and the league hasn't made relocating to the area a top priority in recent years.

Proposals have been made for numerous stadium sites in the area over the years including the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena as well as in Irwindale, Inglewood, Carson and Anaheim.

Roski and Philip Anschutz, the head of AEG, headed up construction of Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles. The Lakers, Kings and Arena Football League's Los Angeles Avengers play their home games at the facility, which opened in October 1999. AEG is not involved in Thursday's news conference either, according to a spokesman.

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Chargers need a Super Bowl title this season!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Truth.

Getting a ring might go a long way to keeping the team in town, since the city is too stupid to do it themselves.

4. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    So how is he paying for it?

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfl-losangeles&prov=ap&type=lgns

[​IMG]

6. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I hope ti never happens, but if they moved there, hell yeah, I'd go. Less than a 2 hr drive, I used to do that when I lived in the Imperial Valley to come to games in SD.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

I'm not there anymore, so it might be different if I was, but

I will stop being a football fan if they move from my home town

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

8. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I work about 3 miles from this site. If I see bulldozers moving around moving dirt, then this is for real.

L.A Chargers? It might happen.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I think everyone needs to start preparing themselves mentally for the very real possibility that the Chargers will not be in San Diego anymore.

I don't blame the team anymore. This is clearly the city's fault. I just hope CV steps it up and gets it done, otherwise, bye bye San Diego Chargers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I just don't see how the city can throw away the cash cow that is the Super Bowl. The NFL loves us.

FUG!!!!

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Because San Diego City Hall is full of retards who keep getting elected by retards.

12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I saw that on msnbc. If LA is gonna build a big new super bowl caliber stadium it only means two things. EIther the nfl has plans to move an existing nfl team there to play. Or they will add one more expansion team. I can't see them wanting one more expansion team. But its all money. So another money making expansion team might work for them.

I'm having to guess. But the only reason another super bowl caliber stadium isn't built in san diego is its not monetarily feasible. Is San diego still big time in debt with their penison plans to ex san diego employees.

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    L.A. Stadium Proposal Going Public

Viking Update Staff

Apr 17, 2008

A real estate magnate in Los Angeles is set to propose a high-end stadium development that he hopes will lure a current NFL franchise to California. Of course, the Vikings are one of the teams that come to mind due to the lack of real interest from Minnesota’s politicians.

Today is going to be a busy one in Los Angeles, as real estate magnate Edward Roski Jr. unveils a plan to build a football stadium in L.A., which has been without an NFL team since both the Rams and Raiders vacated the city. However, the bigger impact could eventually be on the Twin Cities and the Vikings.

Roski will unveil a plan today to build a football stadium in the City of Industry, about 20 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. The stadium would be surrounded by high-end shops, office buildings and entertainment attractions – not too different from the stadium/shopping mecca proposed by Zygi Wilf in Anoka County a few years back.

What may have been the most troubling part of the news is that Roski looking to lure a current NFL team, John Semcken, vice president of Majestic Realty (Roski’s real estate company) told the Associated Press. Semcken said that, if a team would commit to moving to Los Angeles, “we could begin construction in the final quarter of this year and have it ready for play for the first exhibition game in 2011.”

If that 2011 number rings a bell, that is the final year of the Vikings’ lease in the Metrodome. While the league had nothing to do with the plan or the announcement, Commissioner Roger Goodell has expressed an interest in getting the NFL back into the second-largest media market in the country.

The Vikings might not be only team that Roski and his group could try to lure to L.A. San Diego, Buffalo and Jacksonville could all be subject to potentially moving if stadium deals can’t get struck. The Vikings could be joining that short list sooner than later. The Minnesota State Legislature has refused to hear arguments for the construction of a new Vikings stadium and nothing is scheduled to even be heard during the remainder of this legislative session. Even if a stadium was approved for next year in Minnesota, it wouldn’t be ready until 2012 or beyond.

For those who think that it can’t happen, just remember this: the Los Angeles Lakers. Have you ever been to L.A.? There aren’t a lot of lakes. That was the name the city retained when it took the Lakers away from Minneapolis and it took almost four decades for the NBA to return to Minnesota. Considering the popularity of the NFL, the same may never happen if the Vikings pull stakes.

While the Roski announcement is no reason for panic – others have tried and failed to get stadium deals done in Los Angeles – it can’t help to know someone is waiting for a city with a current franchise to stumble

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I wonder if the nfl would have more than one team play in a single stadium. Didn't they do that with the jets and giants for a while.

If teams like the chargers and vikings can't convince the populations where they are at now to build a stadium I wonder if the nfl might bring in more than one team to play at the LA stadium. LA fans are so fickle they might go for that. Who ever is winning they'd back. And if both were winning all the better. Something to do in LA on sunday.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    "Absolutely no taxpayer dollars..." That's some serious fuking bad news!!! :icon_evil:

They put Vikings on the top of the list of possibilities. I haven't paid attention to how things are going over there but they sure make it sound bad.
    I'm really surprised to see the Jaguars on there. That stadium is beautiful.
    No doubt the Bills need a new stadium but they have a hard core following in that whole region (besides just Buffalo.) Huge following in Toronto.
    The Saints aren't on the list. Wonder in NFL is going to eventually help them out with a new stadium as their lease expires at the Super Dome in 2010.

Only good news is that the plan hasn't started yet.

16. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    That's the rumor going around at this time. The only good thing the Bolts have going for them right now is that CV (my hometown) is willing to listen and work with them. I want to believe ( and i do ) that the chargers are staying true to their word and have refrained from talking with any other city.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think they will. I don't question Spanos's heart at all but if a new stadium gets approved in LA and stadium talks in San Diego county continue to get nothing in writing... not good. :no:

18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    I believe the Chargers have designated the current power plant site as the preferred spot for a stadium. But they have to wait for that site to be a)shut down and b)torn down. The real question is, will they wait that long for all that to happen?

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Wonder if the Raiders will be contacted (if this stadium plan happens.)
    Ol' Al would love to move back to LA with a new stadium and Oakland politics would love to see the Raiders leave.

20. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133

That's always a possibility. LA raider fans are more profitable than oakland. I would think.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't think anything is more profitable than LA and New York in the sports area. Why do you think they are now "LA Angels playing in Anaheim?" Not to mention that the Jets and Giants play in New Jersey but the New Jersey Giants and Jets would not bring in the profit.
    I guess that's why the Jaguars are on the list. Still, their stadium is only I think 12 years old? More than ten but less than fifteen and it's beautiful.

As long as the Chargers stay in San Diego, I'll be happy.
    If they move to LA, I don't think I'm renewing my season tickets.

22. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    If the team moved to LA I'd keep my season tix.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I would if they became something like the Southern California Chargers but if they move to LA... it ain't happening!!!!

24. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    So you wouldn't keep season tickets if they became the "LOS ANGELES" Chargers, but you would if they were the SoCal Chargers? Weird. Do you have a problem with the city of LA?

Doesn't bother me in the least. I'm already a Dodger and Laker fan, so what's one more LA team?

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I like LA but San Diego is my (self made) home.
    I hated seeing all the NFL bullshit in Baltimore and hoped not to see that anymore. Though Chargers were always my team, I still liked the Baltimore Colts. That move sucked!!!
    Fourteen years without NFL sucked!!! Though I do like the Ravens but not over the Chargers.

I was just hoping not to see the same bullshit in my new city.

As for other sports, I could never get into basketball. Just doesn't appeal to me at all.
    IMO, baseball has sucked ever since Cal retired. The McGwire/Sosa home run battle was awesome but we all know how that turned out. Conseco... what a douche!!!
    I used the be a huge baseball fan but now all I can say about it is "yawn."

26. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    I don't think anyone hates LA...I think its just a natural rivalry thing for me. Say the Red Sox move to New York...there would be no boston fans rooting for them.

You always lean more to supporting the hometown than another city.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I truly hope that they stay in San Diego, but for me, 3k miles is 3k miles. I'll still root for the Chargers. Used to be an LA Rams fan as a kid, so it could still work for me.

I hope for all of you hometown folks that the CV deal gets done. :tup:

28. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    This is exactly how I feel. I used to think I would never forgive the team if they moved, but it would be hard to blame them now. It isn't they they sneaked out in the middle of the night like the Baltimore Colts, they are trying.

29. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    But nobody goes. They have entire sections tarped over to make the place look more full.

30. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    No chance in hell the league lets the Raiders move back to LA.

If a team is going to move to LA, it will be one that does not carry the same bad fan rap.

An NFC team would be my pref for the LA market. Rams, Saints or Vikings.