1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LA Stadium Gets Governor's Approval

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Aggieman, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Governor Jerry Brown is giving a green light to the proposed $1.5 billion football stadium and convention center hall in downtown Los Angeles, saying the project will create of thousands of jobs.

The Governor signed SB292, a bill that puts a 175-day time limit on legal challenges to the proposal by Anschutz Entertainment Group. Lawsuits would also bypass the Los Angeles County Superior Court system and go straight to the 2nd District Court of Appeal.

Brown held a signing ceremony and press conference this morning at the site of the project. The stadium would be called Farmers Field.

AEG President Tim Leiweke has argued that competitors could attempt to delay the project by filing lawsuits, and that's why this bill is necessary. Leiweke wants to have the stadium open for the 2016 NFL season.

The new bill requires AEG's project to comply with the California Environmental Quality Act. It also adds new environmental requirements to the project.

The financing plan was announced over the summer -- the AEG-backed stadium and new $275-million wing of the Convention Center, a move that would require the city to issue $195 million in bonds.

The bonds would be backed by the city's general fund and will be shouldered by developer AEG.

The repayment plan includes lease income paid by AEG, as well as other new revenue from the project including parking taxes, property taxes and a one-time construction tax on the project, according to the agreement.

Basic services, such as the police and fire departments, will be backed by the general fund.

AEG president and CEO Tim Leiweke wants to make sure that when Farmer's Field is erected it will have a team in place and reportedly has been talking with as many as 5teams with known stadium issues.

Read more
    http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-farmers-football-stadium-greenlight,0,7662544.story

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    It's going to happen, The Chargers and one other team in LA, and the 49ers and Raiders in San Jose. It's what's most financially sound and it's inevitable.

It's amazing to me that the 49ers can move to San Jose and not lose their fan base, but if the Chargers move to LA, many Chargers fans would abandon their loyalty to their team.

Personally, I drove from LA to San Diego to watch the Chargers for years. In 3 weeks I'm moving to San Diego, and if they move to LA, I'll still make that drive in the opposite direction. This is my team, and all of Southern California is my home.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61

This same bill also gives SAN DIEGO the same rights afforded under this bill. The bill is not specific just to LA.

When San Diego get's their final plan, and a ballot measure in 2012... San Diego's downtown stadium project would be granted the same provisions listed above.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    Sorry, but you are not correct. The 49'ers are not moving to San Jose, they would be moving to Santa Clara, which by the way, happens to be the "same" market as San Fran. LA and San Diego are 2 different markets and rival cities. Most of LA are Raider fans and Dodger fans, which by the way, are San Diego's rivals.

5. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
  6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,725
  7. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    Sorry for the confusion because I forgot to add a paragraph and hit "reply" before even thinking about it.

SB292 is specific to LA as you said, and my apologies for forgetting to add that in addition to SB292, AB900 also passed and is about to be signed. AB900 is for commercial projects larger than $100 million, and is what Jerry Brown is referring to below.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...overnor-signs-bill-to-expedite-farmers-field/

What AB900 will do is give Santa Clara and San Diego stadium projects the SAME leagal protection, and other ammenities that LA is getting with SB292.

8. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    And for those who think the Chargers have already worked out a deal in LA... Several times in the past few weeks, Populous, their stadium architects, and the mayor's office have met with the Chargers in CHARGERS PARK.

9. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I pray they don't move to LA.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    This at least puts both stadiums (LA & the potential SD one) on the same ground. The only question is where the team is going - and since AEG wants to buy the team, and the Spanos refuse to budge on that, I'd say the SAN DIEGO Chargers odds have increased substantially

11. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Do you really think Spanos is going to give up more than 50% of the ownership moving to LA? That has been the reported stumbling block.. I guess this is something that could happen but I'm not so sure that Spanos wants to relinquish majority ownership.

12. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    The Spanos family will NOT give majority ownership. Bank on it.

13. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Bottom line is a stadium is going to be built in LA, I am just not sure what team is going down there. And one way or another the Chargers are getting a new stadium, either in San Diego, Los Angeles or somewhere else.

14. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    That is true. Although the Spano's wont sell a majority interest, LA wants 2 teams, one they will have majority interest, and a 2nd team as a tenant. The 2nd team is SD's threat to leave SD if nothing can get done in SD. The 11th hour is upon us.

15. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
  16. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    UUUhhh, he's kind of correct. I can spit across the street from Santa Clara to San Jose.

17. Scott the Rock

Ratings:
    +130
    I have said it a million times. Liewickie gets what he wants. He erects monuments overnight. I have seen it first hand. If he wants the Chargers, He'll get em. As far as the Spanos family selling the majority ownership, I don't care if they do. I never liked Alex or Dean or any of the Spanos family as owners anyway. They had a great stadium approved right where the Murph is today but spanos wanted the rights to all the surrounding property. Screw em. As long as they don't change the Uni's I'm in for life where ever they play and who ever owns them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    They absolutely did not. The City of SD did NOT approve a new stadium at the current location, in fact, they went on record saying they would not support the project and would not give the land to the Chargers. The Chargers were willing to privately fund the whole stadium if they got the land for free (same as the new Dallas and NY stadium). They weren't asking for anything more than any other owner.

19. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    You probably should do a little bit more fact checking.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Scott the Rock

Ratings:
    +130
    And that included the land that shopping centers and condo's and burger joints and so on and so on would be located. The whole river bottom pretty much. You people need to check your facts. Spano's killed his own deal by trying to get a bigger bite then he reserved. There were other factors involved but that was a big one. I don't blame his motives for wanting to capitalize on his brand but have a little common sense.

21. Scott the Rock

Ratings:
    +130
    Here's a quote of the river bottom plan they put forth to the city. I just grabbed this from Wiki.
    The cost of stadium construction would be financed by the Chargers, who would pay for construction with the profits of an adjoining development. The team would require a large tract of land either for free or at nominal cost to make the project economically feasible. Based on the site that is selected, the adjoining development would be a combination of commercial, residential and retail uses.

So I ask you. What happens after the cost of the stadium deal is payed off? Do you think they were going to give the land and all the spotlight real estate back to the city? Or let the business owners just have it? It was a deal. Plain and simple. A little to ambitious of one if you ask me.

22. impgard

impgard BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    AEG when they built the Staples Center for the Lakers only took a 30% interest. I'd think that something like that would be in order for the Chargers or any other team. It's insurance that the new team won't relocate after 10 years or so like the Raiders. Its an earnest money guarantee from the team to AEG for footing the bill for the stadium.

This is doable.

• Like Like x 1
  23. impgard

impgard BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Jerry Brown signing the bill makes the reality of an LA Stadium much more of a possibility than any force aligned against building it. This is going to happen because for the first time, all the political interest, the NFL and a financial partner are aligned in favor on one location. Getting all these constituencies aligned has not happened for a while, the last time was for Staples Center.

Right now, there doesn't seem to be any will, political or private, to build a stadium in San Diego, just fact finding. Unfortunately, it ain't going to happen for San Diego in the near term.

24. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    You don't have a damned clue what you are talking about. The City would NOT give the land for the Chargers to develop the stadium and ancillary development to finance a stadium built that could have been built with no public funds. They asked for nothing more than other cities got when they built new stadiums. They told the Chargers to go pound sand, so it was the City of SD leaders who are to blame for that, not the Spanos. And all you do is go to wiki to find an answer??? Try reading articles about the stadium, and get educated, because you don't know **** about this.

25. Scott the Rock

Ratings:
    +130
    Your crackin me up. Every statement you make is making my point. The city did not want just give the land so the spanos family could recoup its measly stadium cost by building up and taking in the surrounding property. I would vote against that as well. Read what IMPgard above talked about how AEG "Liewickie" made the deal with the Lakers for the Staples center. It doesn't take a brainaic to figure out that it makes more sense. But I don't want to get into a heated argument with a fellow Bolt fan about something that is old news. You need to face reality that the Spanos family could have took other more practical avenues regarding that river bottom deal.

I haven't lived in San Diego for over 20 years but it will always be where I am from. My family still lives there and for right now my favorite football team plays there. I love SD with all my heart and it would really suck to see the Chargers leave. If that's the case then oh well. I just hate to think of all the hotels and restaurants and night life that would prosper and filter dollars into the Downtown area should that deal get passed over.

26. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    Which is why you don't have any clue as to what you are talking about. Every new stadium that was recently built, the TEAM got the land for free. The Spano's were not asking for anything more than any other owner. It was a LEGITIMATE request. The City of SD leaders pooped on themselves. Look at all the tax revenue the City would have generated with all that ancillary development. You said the site was approved and the Chargers walked away, and it was the other way around so you need to learn before you speak. You are 100% wrong.

Now, we are focused on downtown because the current stadium location was passed over BY THE CITY. Now, because the downtown area site is so small, there is no room for ancillary development to help finance the stadium, either re-development (CCDC funds) are needed or public taxes.

27. Scott the Rock

Ratings:
    +130
    Helloooooo. Why should the surrounding developement pay for a private owners expense? Let them take out a loan or morgage the house. Your wrong on this. I don't care what other teams have done to build the stadiums they have.

28. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    His brand? Surely the NFL created the brand not him. And players like Fouts who were in their prime before any of the Spanos family owned the team.

29. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    OMG, what you are trying to say is utterly unrealistic. Get in the real world pal.

30. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    That guy is 100% wrong. Spanos never killed any deal at the current location. There never was any deal. Scott needs to shut his trap because he's just flat out wrong.