1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LA Stadium Passes the City Council Vote 12-0

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by robdog, Aug 9, 2011.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +271
    The next 9-12 month is going to be interesting for us Charger fans...

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,040
    City needs to make a move and soon to ensure support for a stadium

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,232
    ok they have a stadium, is anyone willing to spend $500,000,000.00 as a "RELOCATION FEE" just to move into it? Now some teams will have to operate at a loss for a few years to recoup that 500 million. BUT after its paid off.....................

4. robdog

Ratings:
    +271
    You talking about the LA stadium or the proposed SD stadium?

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,787
  6. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    I live in the Inland Empire, grew up a Ram fan from 84-94 when they left and that's when I adopted the Bolts. I am not gonna lie, I wouldn't be torn apart if the Bolts made the move up here. I'd DEFINITELY prefer the City of Industry location but that looks all but ruled out.

7. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,133
    What part of the IE?

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That relocation fee is BS. The NFL desperately wants at least 1 team in LA, and likely 2. No way they make them pay some sort of relocation fee. The Raiders may push to be paid off since LA and is a media market for both the Chargers and Raiders. But there is no chance it will be anywhere near $500mil. Seriously, the league is not going to make a team pay 50% of their value just to move. That just doesn't pass the common sense test

9. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Rancho Cucamonga..

Conc, though you now hate me, you once invited me to your St Patty's day drink-a-thon, remember? :p lol

10. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,133
    Hate is such a strong word. I just want to Gibbs you (slap you on the back of the head like Agent Gibbs does to people on NCIS) and tell you to get me a drink.... Is that so wrong of me?! :D

Next time I throw the SPD partay you will get another invite, whether you like it or not! Yeah! I roll like that...

11. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Invite Maticakes too, but make sure the 11 year old is far far away :p

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,232
    the LA stadium, right now in San Diego we have Qualcomm stadium, everything else is an exact copy of our trophy case. A lot of talk and wishful thinking, but its still empty.

13. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    As an Orange County resident, I would prefer them to stay in San Diego, but if they had to move, I would like it to be LA.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It will be. No chance the NFL would choose City of Industry over downtown LA. City of Industry is being used as leverage, and nothing more. There is no chance it happens there

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  16. robdog

Ratings:
    +271
    DOUBTFUL the crypt keeper will fall into good graces with LA and its officials. They haven't even been in the discussion to move down to LA. But if they do move to LA, that means the Chargers are going to stay in San Diego for a little while longer.

*edit*

Damnit! Nevermind just heard Adam S. on ESPN 710 and it is down the Raiders and Chargers. :(

17. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    The only thing the LA stadium has over the Industry one is the address. The city of Industry site is in the sweet spot for a football market. 1 in 19 of all Americans lives within an hour of that site. That is a major market. It is also just a much better stadium proposal. The only reason there isn't news of the LA City council voting on the industry site, is that it isn't in the city. It also would be done with all private dollars. And the other big thing... there's room for parking in industry. The NFL has not said anything either way between the two proposals (and really, they don't have that much say in it - it's really up to the teams). either of the sites is considered the LA market, so the NFL side of it is the same.

18. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    After years of driving to San Diego from LA to see the Chargers, I might have to drive from San Diego to LA to see them. :confused:

19. robdog

Ratings:
    +271
    haha, you moving to San Diego I take it???

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The address is a HUGE part. That is like saying El Cajon would be just as good as down town SD.

On top of that, the stadium has zero support for any of the surrounding communities of Industry (Walnut, Diamond Bar, Covina). The NFL won't publicly state they prefer one over another, because they can't use site A for leverage over site B if they publicly say they like Site B better. But like it or not, the new stadium will have a ton of luxury boxes, and those are much morel likely to sell in down town LA then they would an hour away.

Another things fans need to understand is that the NFL doesn't care about parking or tailgating anymore. They don't make much money off of that, and make more by people buying food and drinks in the stadium than they do off of $20 parking.

City of Industry site will never happen

21. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +439
  22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    One of the comments actually said "a few days ago Rich Eisen was asked who he thought would end up in Los Angeles. He thinks it will be two teams by 2015 the Chargers and The Raiders."

That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. There is no chance in hell the NFL puts division rivals in a shared stadium. LA will get 2 teams, but one will be AFC and the other will be NFC. No chance that they are both AFC teams, let alone division rivals

23. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +439
    I hope not, but...

why not? Is not like there is some rule.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What would be the point in playing a home and home every year if it just means 2 games in the same stadium?

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  26. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    The Raiders are not moving back down here...Mark my words.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are right. They are more than likely moving to Santa Clara to share a stadium with the 9ers. So Cali will, in all likelihood, have 4 teams playing in 2 state of the art stadiums within the next 10 years (Yes, an NFC team will move to LA to share the stadium with the Chargers, Bills, or Jags, and it won't be the Vikes)

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,429
    Not so much a rule as it is really difficult to work around. It makes scheduling more difficult and stands potential to hinder sales; team in the same division play extremely similar schedules which is not as marketable. This also means that these teams tend to have similar bye weeks (if you notice, I'm pretty certain we've got the same bye week as the Raiders this season), which again creates scheduling difficulties. It's almost always been a point the league has made when having two teams in a very similar market area to have them be in separate conferences (Dallas - NFC/Houston - AFC even when they were the Oilers, Kansas City - AFC/St. Louis - NFC, NYG - NFC/NYJ - AFC, Miami in Southern FL and Jacksonville in Northern FL - AFC/Tampa in Central FL - NFC, San Fran - NFC/Oakland - AFC).

29. robdog

Ratings:
    +271
    Dude its all about "Oakland Live" for the Raiders and their fans.... LOL!!!

30. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +439