1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of containment

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Dec 11, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2469" target="_blank">Chargers.com

By Tom Shanahan

Gus Frerrote's statistics weren't overwhelming as the Miami Dolphins quarterback guided his Dolphins to a 23-21 upset Sunday of the Chargers at Qualcomm Stadium.

But Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer doesn't need to review the game film or study the stat sheet to assign blame for his team allowing Frerrote to hit key pass plays that beat the Bolts. The secondary will hear criticism from fans, especially when the big pass plays are aired over and over on television, but the defensive backs won't hear it from Schottenheimer.

"We gave up big plays, but the problem for us is we couldn't keep the quarterback in the pocket," Schottenheimer said. "He ran all over the place and that's what comprised us, in my view."

Frerrote, in his 12th NFL season, isn't known for beating teams with his feet, but he bought time for receivers to get open for enough big plays as the Dolphins ended the Chargers' five-game winning streak.

One big completion was a 34-yarder to Chris Chandler that set up a field goal early in the third quarter, trimming the Chargers' lead to 7-6.

Next was an 8-yard touchdown pass to Chambers after a Chargers' fumble and later a 35-yard touchdown pass to Chambers late in the third quarter for a 20-7 lead.

Frerrote's longest completion, a 56-yarder to Marty Booker, didn't result in a score since the Dolphins fumbled the ball three plays later to the Chargers' on the 1-yard line. But the completion came on a third-and-9 play and the swing in field position was one the Chargers never overcame in needing to rally from a two-touchdown deficit in the final quarter.

"This game I was able to move around and was able to make plays using my feet," Frerrote said. "It's not always going to be where you get to stay in the pocket and make throws. The line did a great job. You have to give them all the credit, because they were able to give me that pocket where I could step up and make plays and move left to right."

Frerotte finished the game completing 14-of-22 passes for 229 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. The Chargers had two sacks for 4 yards, but Frerrote also scrambled for gains. He avoided a sack with a 14-yard scramble that led to Chambers' 35-yard TD reception three plays later.

"We wanted to keep him in the pocket," Schottenheimer said. "We never looked at him in terms of a guy who runs all over the place, but he was successful moving the pocket and buying time in a number of cases."

The Chargers' improvement on pass defense, which Schottenheimer credited to meshing an pass rush with the secondary's coverage, was one reason for the team's five-game winning streak.

During the streak, the Chargers allowed only eight touchdowns on a 18 trips by their opponents inside the 20-yard line for a .444 percentage. Of the other 10 trips inside the Red Zone, five ended in field goals, one on a fumble recovery and four on downs.

But after Miami gained only 66 yards in the first half, the Dolphins outscored the Chargers 17-0 in the decisive third quarter.

"I thought for the most part we played pretty solid on defense," Schottenheimer said. "But this is the greatest sport in the world because on any given Sunday anybody can lose."