1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

La'el Collins at RG?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, May 4, 2015.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    After meeting with him for more than an hour today, Baton Rouge police are saying Collins is not considered a suspect in the murder of his ex-girlfriend. I know all 32 teams will be looking to sign this kid, but we could offer him a starting spot at RG from day 1. Maybe his fellow SEC alum Fluker can convince this kid to come to SD.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'd offer him RT. RGs are the lowest earning position along the O-line. People compare him to Fluker, but he's much lighter in his feet.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I'd absolutely offer him right tackle and I think he could play that perfectly w Fluker moving in.

BTW selling point for Tom Telesco; remember Manti Te'o and catfishing? Big markets would've talked about it non stop but in San Diego it died a very quiet death. Small markets have their advantages too.

4. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    He's gonna be a target for every team in the league. However, think of what we can offer him.
    1. A likely starting spot at RG or RT.
    2. Warm weather (even if we do move to LA this would still be true).
    3. A quiet atmosphere for his rookie season, a chance to get away from media and just focus on football.
    4. A chance to be part of a quality offense, with an elite QB and a young running back.
    5. He could potentially make our line elite, lot of beef on the right side with him and Fluker, then the big boys on the other side with Dunlap & Franklin.

Not every team can offer that to him, hopefully this gives us a chance if he becomes available.

5. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Of course, this "meeting" couldn't have happened BEFORE the draft. Weird.

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Another big selling point is Joe D. He has a reputation around the league.

7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Police said they weren't at the point in their investigation where they were ready to talk to him before this week. They better have a good reason for delaying the interview, because they may have cost him millions.

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    And the Chargers met with him before the draft as well, so there might be some familiarity there.

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Why not LT?

Collins, Franklin, Watt, Fluker, Dunlap

He looks like a plug and play player from all the reports I see.

10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    He is not coming here, but keep hoping and wishing...
    you-can-wish-with-one-hand-and-crap-in-the-other-and-see-which-gets-filled-first--0e6e4.png

11. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I’d rather have a proven, quality NFL veteran left tackle protecting the blind side of my $98 million quarterback who’s contract I’m trying to extend with my team.

La’el Collins may have been hot stuff in college, but he’s currently unproven in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    IF the Chargers could sign him, he would go in at RT and move fluker inside.

Gordon would have a monster rookie year and #17 would be a lot cleaner at the end of a game.

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Odds are he will sign with a team like the Panthers where he has the best shot at LT. Chances are he is going to a place where he has a chance to make the most money in 2 years

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    That depends on if he honestly thinks he can be a really good LT. He might end up costing himself even more money if he demands a LT job, then goes in and stinks the place up.

I think LG would be optimal for his skill set, but I'm on the bandwagon that thinks he can play OT at this level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Fans always seem to think their team has some special pull with players....... I don't get it. If he is cleared, Collins can sign with any team in the league. Why would he chose the Chargers over a serious Super Bowl contender?

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
  17. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Because our fans are special? ;)

18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Hey it happened with Royal pitching to Flowers :whistling:
    The Chargers message board is going nuts right now, Collins wore a Blue Coat with a yellow tie and they're literally calling the done deal that he's signing with the Bolts. I just don't get it.

19. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^ Other organizations have team colors in yellow and blue too...

20. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    Honestly, this is the move that I could see Tom Telesco pulling off, ala last year's Flowers, year before with Freeney. But I honestly don't think that TT is lying about how confident they are in what we have at OG. I think they're gonna let Troutman/Sirles/Watts (craig that is; not chris watt) and potentially even Hairston (though I think he's better suited for a swing OT job), battle it out and put the best guy on the line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Well there you have it then. Should be around tomorrow that will see Adam Schefter breaking the news over twitter.

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I would venture to say Dunlap is the only player on the line who had an above poor year in 2014.

I don't understand Telesco's confidence so I can only assume it's feigned. The stuff a GM has to say, lest he admit he's done a poor job.

23. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    We might still be in this...

alg-rex-ryan-costume-jpg.jpg

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Chargers wouldn't even host a meal before he was cleared of charges, so no, I don't expect us to be first in line.

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, the GM has a bit more knowledge into certain situations than you. Franklin and Dunlap are solid. I think they are really high on Watt at C. And Fluker was beset by injuries last year. Could be that Telesco really expects Fluke to bounce back and have a very good year. That makes 4/5 starting positions set. Troutman at guard is the only one that troubles me. If they can find a solid veteran starter in the second wave of free agency, I'll be very happy with our OL situation.

26. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't think anyone here is expecting the team to sign Collins, or arguing that the Chargers have some special pull with him. So stop tilting at windmills, Grandpa. The only connection the Bolts have is that Fluker and Collins share the same agent. If Fluke has a high opinion of SD and Joe D as his position coach that might make a difference. But it's a long shot.

27. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'm sure he does, but I'm still not stupid enough to take these guys 100% at their word. They say what they need to, it's not their job to write articles or sell newspapers. It's not like Telesco is going to publically hang Troutman out to dry by saying..."yeah we pretty much suck at RG, oh and Fluker isn't panning out at RT, so we might switch 'em up a bit. LOL #YOLO."

I don't love this Polian-esc strategy of trying to develop bad linemen. The only reason it was semi-successful in Indy was because Peyton Manning was just that freakishly good.

28. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Are you high or just high on Fluker?! :confused: You got that sentence, barring the Collins matter, completely arse backwards!

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Sensitive much, toddler? :rolleyes:

30. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Apparently he is at a dinner with the Buffalo Bills. IF he has interest in playing for Rex Ryan, it's not like the Bills are a super bowl contender. Just saying.