1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lakers

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Oct 28, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    It's a long season but

GO LAKERS!!!

2. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Anything can happen and probably will. If the Lakers remain healthy they should repeat in the West.

The Celtics have an excellent chance of again meeting the Lakers in the finals. There might be a different outcome this season.

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Lakers will be better than last year, but so will the other teams in the west. Rockets if they stay healthy will give them some competition in the west. Utah, is also much better. But I'm still going to be rooting for the Clips. Hopefully the addition of Baron Davis, Ricky Davis, and Marcus Camby will get them into the top 8 in the west.

4. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm still bitter.

It's because of that Summer's eve bag Sterling that I became a Laker fan

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=281029012

LOS ANGELES -- Kobe Bryant didn't shoot much, didn't score much and didn't need to.

Bryant led seven Los Angeles Lakers in double figures with 16 points on 5-of-12 shooting and had eight rebounds Wednesday night in a 117-79 blowout that spoiled the Los Angeles Clippers' season opener.

Andrew Bynum added 12 points and nine rebounds, Derek Fisher and Jordan Farmar scored 15 each, Pau Gasol had 13, Trevor Ariza 11 and Chris Mihm 10.

"It feels good to be out there working together, being aggressive and playing hard," said Gasol, who had nine rebounds and is a force at forward since he no longer has to fill in at center.

The new-look Clippers seemed essentially like their usual sub .500 selves, no match for the talent and versatility of the defending Western Conference champion Lakers.

Baron Davis had 11 points on 4-of-13 shooting in his Clippers' debut, with seven assists. Al Thornton scored 16 points, and Cuttino Mobley and Tim Thomas each had 11.

"It was a rude awakening for us, to let us see that mountain we've got to climb," Davis said. "Did I expect to lose like that? No. Do I expect us to go 0-7? No.

"We're going to just have to figure it out on the fly."

The Lakers began their season with a similar rout a night earlier, breezing to a 96-76 win at home against Portland on Tuesday.

Even coach Phil Jackson didn't expect the Lakers' opening two games to be so one-sided.

"We have to say it's a surprise, (but) our team is playing at a high level," he said. "Our next game is on the road (at Denver on Saturday), so it's a team that has a lot of animosity I'm sure from last year's playoffs. We'll see how we do when we go to their place."

The Lakers swept Denver in the first round.

As they did against the Trail Blazers, the Lakers played suffocating defense, holding the Clippers to 38 percent shooting while shooting 51 percent themselves and going 10-of-19 from 3-point range.

Bynum, back after a knee injury last January that sidelined him for the rest of the season, went 4-of-7 from the floor and helped jam up the middle on defense, blocking three shots.

"We went out there and played great defense tonight again, and as long as we hold teams to under 80 points, I think we're doing a pretty good job," Bynum said. "I think the record for that is six straight (under 80) and we're going to try and go after it."

The Lakers' depth, he said, helps on both ends of the court.

"Everybody came in from the starting five to the second unit and moved the ball around and got a bunch of fast break points," he said.

The Clippers, who lost longtime mainstay Elton Brand and Corey Maggette among others during the offseason, have nine newcomers who played for other teams last season.

Davis played just one preseason game because of a finger injury, and another new addition, Marcus Camby, is out with a bruised right heel.

Down 33-32, the Lakers got some spark from the reserves and reeled off a 24-6 string beginning with Farmar's running jumper with 8:18 remaining in the second quarter. Ariza scored eight points during the run and Farmar had five points, three assists and a rebound.

That helped the Lakers open a 56-39 lead with 1:06 remaining and they were up 59-44 at halftime.

They outscored the Clippers 26-13 in the third quarter and were ahead 85-57 heading into the final quarter.

Game notes
    Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said before the game he thinks the Lakers may be the best club in the NBA. "Defensively they should be one of the top three teams and then they've got Kobe Bryant at the end of the game to cancel all bets," Dunleavy said. "If I'm picking, that's who I'm picking to win it all if they're healthy." ... The Clippers finished 23-59 last season while the Lakers kept going until they lost Game 6 to Boston in the NBA finals. ... The Lakers went 4-0 against the Clippers last season, winning by an average of 26 points.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Lakers vs. Celtics finals again. Lakers will have best record in the league and home court in the finals this year. Mark it.

7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Lakers role to a 7 - 0 Start

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/viewcast/2008/11/12/index.html?contestId=23986&vendorId=2008111203&vendorVisitTeam=13&vendorHomeTeam=3&pageType=recap

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -The Hornets were primed to pull off an improbable comeback until Kobe Bryant made it impossible.

Bryant scored 20 points, highlighted by a tough 3-pointer over James Posey with just over a minute left, and the Los Angeles Lakers improved to 7-0 with a 93-86 victory over New Orleans on Wednesday night.

''I just wanted to shoot it in his face,'' Bryant said of the late 3-pointer. ''I knew I was due.''

The dramatic and deflating shot stemmed a frantic 17-4 Hornets run and put the Lakers ahead 86-80 with 1:08 to go.

''I knew Posey was going to sit on my arm, so I just had to back him up and try to shoot it,'' Bryant explained. ''I knew it was going to be a tough shot because I had Posey draped all over me, so I just needed to focus on the basket and try to put it in.''

Derek Fisher hit four 3-pointers and also finished with 20. He had 18 through the first three quarters, leading what to that point had been a dominant effort by Los Angeles, which never trailed.

The Lakers led by as much as 23 before nervously holding on against a team that is expected to be one of their chief rivals for Western Conference supremacy.

Chris Paul led New Orleans (4-3) with 30 points and 13 assists, scoring 16 points in the fourth quarter.

The Lakers appeared to have the game in hand after Andrew Bynum 's 8-foot turnaround jumper increased their lead to 79-63 with just under six minutes to go. But Paul scored 11 points and assisted on three other baskets during a stirring surge that pulled New Orleans to 83-80 on Paul's floater off the glass with 1:33 left.

The fans were on their feet, urging on the defense, which appeared to be on the verge of getting another stop when Bryant's difficult 3 as the shot clock wound down hit the back rim and dropped straight through.

''I'm never surprised to see him do anything,'' Fisher said. ''He's one of those rare guys in the history of the game that I think can actually make the ball go in. ... Mentally, he's able to lock in on that rim and get the ball in the basket. That's what separates him from some of the best to ever play.''

Hornets coach Byron Scott said Posey could not have defended the play much better.

''Pose was right in his face, and that is what great players do, they make big shots,'' Scott said. ''You have to give Kobe a lot of credit because that was a big-time shot.''

Soon after, Fisher made a key steal from David West and the Lakers never allowed the Hornets to get within one possession again.

However, Lakers coach Phil Jackson was a little annoyed that the game got that close.

''We sucked the joy out of a good victory,'' he said.

Bynum and Pau Gasol each scored 14 for Los Angeles, and Trevor Ariza added 10 points. Bynum also had four blocked shots, setting the tone with a block on Hornets center Tyson Chandler on the game's opening possession.

West had 21 points and 12 rebounds. Peja Stojakovic had 10 points but was only 3-of-13 shooting. Chandler had 10 rebounds.

''We just spotted them too many points,'' West said. ''We just didn't have any rhythm offensively.''

The Lakers dominated most of the game, taking a 28-17 lead on Jordan Farmar 's jumper as the first quarter ended. The basket ignited a 12-2 run that gave Los Angeles a 38-19 lead on Sasha Vujacic 's jump shot.

Poor shooting prevented the Hornets from making a sustained run in the first half. Paul kept feeding Stojakovic for open perimeter attempts, but Stojakovic couldn't get any to fall, missing his first eight shots.

Fisher's jump shot from just inside the 3-point line capped a 6-0 Lakers run to close out the second quarter and give Los Angeles a 51-30 lead at halftime.

The Hornets showed signs of making a game of it early in the third quarter, but only briefly. Stojakovic finally found his shooting touch, hitting a pair of 3s during an 11-2 run that also included a pair of alley-oop dunks by Chandler, both set up by Paul.

Fisher's running jumper stemmed New Orleans's surge, then Bynum scored inside before Fisher hit a 3 and the Lakers began to pull away again, leading 69-46 after Bynum scored inside.

The Lakers are now the only undefeated team in the league following Atlanta's loss to Boston, but Jackson didn't put too much stock in that.

''If at the end of the season it's like this then it would mean a lot,'' the coach said, grinning. ''There have been a lot of teams that have gotten off to good starts and it doesn't mean they have a great finish, but this is what we want to do and we're doing the right thing.''

Notes: The best start to a season in Lakers franchise history is 11-0 in 1997-98. ... Bryant moved within three points of Larry Bird on the NBA's career scoring list. Bird scored 21,791 points with Boston. ... Paul extended to seven games his record streak of 20-point, 10-assist games to start a season. ... Fisher came in averaging 9.5 points. ... Paul has had a steal in 90 straight games, the longest active streak in the NBA. ... The Lakers are 2-0 in the second of back-to-back games.

8. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    We're headed for a Celtics-Lakers rematch, boys and girls.

The handwriting is on the wall.

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

I like it!

:tup:

10. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Screw the Lakers and especially the rapist Bryant.

11. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Which NBA team would you like this thread to be about?

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,629
    :icon_rofl:

And screw whatever team it is you cheer for whoever they may or may not be.

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    You must be friends with that POS SDC!!!!

:icon_twisted::icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

14. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I don't know who SDC is.

Being raised in San Diego, I grew up hating all LA teams including the Lakers.

15. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Interesting choice of words.