1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Language Cencorship on the way for NFL games?? Spring Owners Meeting

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, May 23, 2011.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Am I reading that right? Language Banning launching? Launching as in using the body as a projectile and language meaning how the rules are worded... why not jus say that.

NFL.com news: Owners talk strategy at spring meeting as lockout continues

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NFL started proceedings for its usual spring meeting on Monday, under more unusual circumstances.

With the lockout into its third month, the labor situation will be the primary focus on the day-and-a-half summit in the Midwest. In the past, this meeting took place to wrap up outstanding NFL Competition Committee issues from the annual meeting, and vote on future Super Bowl sites.

The vote on the site for Super Bowl XLIX, to be held February 2015, has been postponed, though the the competition committee will hold a vote on player-safety rules -- particularly ones further clarifying language banning launching. There will be planning, too, for the Super Bowl scheduled to be held here in February.

But the implementation of rules and plans hinge, like everything else in the NFL these days, on the labor negotiations. On his way into the hotel Monday morning, NFL general counsel Jeff Pash cited the words of New York Jets linebacker Bart Scott in emphasizing this as a critical time for the league and players. Scott said he thought the situation was "on the verge of insanity" and that fans just want to see football.

"I really thought he put it very well, that we're getting to the point where we're really putting our fans at risk," Pash said. "We're getting to the point where people just can't understand why there's not a deal being made. And I think, in many respects, the best thing for all of us to do is get out of court, get out of the media, and get together, and I think Bart Scott is right.

"We're getting to the point where we're putting our business at risk, and it's our shared livelihood. We have a shared responsibility to get this done. We can't do it ourselves. They can't do it themselves. And so we really need to put the litigation aside, we need to focus on negotiations. I think there's a deal to be made, I really do. I've thought that for a long time."

Looming ahead are dates in the labor negotiations seen as potential turning points. The NFL's reply brief -- responding to last week's players' brief -- on the appeal of the lockout-lifting injunction, is due in 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday, just after this meeting ends.

That's the precursor to the June 3 hearing on the appeal. The result of that hearing, and Judge David Doty's ruling in the network rights fees case, are widely considered to be events that could spark more serious negotiations.

But Pash said he doesn't quite see it that way.

"You mentioned two court dates," Pash said. "Well, you've got those and then you'll have appeals from those presumably. The players have already said that if they don't get what they want on June 3, they're going to appeal. Everyone knows if Judge Doty comes down against us, we're going to appeal. It just maintains the focus on litigation, which is not where it belongs.

"So I think, in many aspects, what court rulings do is they freeze people in place, they lock you into positions, and they force you to look at that next court date and not what you should be looking at, which is how we can get together, put these differences behind us and compromise for the good of the game going forward."

An operational meeting at 1:30 p.m. ET on Monday kicked things off, with the labor committee -- made up of 10 ownership types -- having a larger meeting set for 5 p.m.

Many league and club officials won't arrive until Tuesday morning, with the general session set to kick off at 10 a.m. This set of meetings is expected to wrap up midday Wednesday.

Pash said he thinks the attitude of his group, and the players, will be key heading into the next phase of talks. The next negotiation session between the sides is the court-order mediation, set for June 7 and 8 in the Minneapolis chambers of U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan.

"I think Bart Scott's right," Pash reiterated. "That's the kind of attitude that we need, and I think a lot of other players feel that way, as well. And if people come to the table with that attitude, with that sense of commitment, with the recognition that the best way to solve the problem is to solve it ourselves, not to wait for some judges to solve the problem for us, which they can't do -- they can't do -- then we'll come out better. All of us."

And with that, Pash did expound upon the 2011 planning present on the agenda.

"We think we are going to have a season," Pash said. "So among the things we're going to try to accomplish are some additional provisions on player safety; some competition committee issues that were talked about in March and have had some further discussion and that are ready to be voted on; certainly Super Bowl planning, we're looking forward to a great Super Bowl here in Indianapolis in 2012; and the normal reports that we would have on business issues and sponsorship."