1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop Help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sdchrger, Aug 12, 2008.

1. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I want to buy a new laptop for my 11 year old daughter and need some help.

The main reason for the purchase is that the family computer is upstairs and she spends tons of time on youtube and the like. She's a good kid but I want her doing that stuff in the living room where we can do a better job monitoring the sites she visits.

Any recommendations on where to get a good laptop at a good price? I would need one with good graphics, decent memory at least a DVD player if not a burner and a wireless card built in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    You won't get a very specific answer to that question, think "shooting at a moving target". Assuming you are in the San Diego area, the first thought that pops into mind is Frys Electronics down in Murphy Canyon south of Chargers Park. The places like Best Buy, Office Depot and Circuit City sale papers have been quite full of decent sales every week this summer and prices are surprisingly good.

Anything with an Intel Centrino Duo processor (or one of the higher end AMDs) should handle your graphics processing needs quite nicely - virtually all of them on today's market will come with the rest of the stuff you mentioned - but the best thing you can do is take her down and both of you "see, touch, feel" the screen/keyboard before you buy IMO.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I ****ing hate laptops. But I'm not trying to discourage. I'm just a tech dork so I like ripping computers apart and changing and replacing parts, which you kinda can't do so much on a laptop. Additionally, you will find that you pay considerably more for a laptop of the same speed as a desktop. I would personally recommend getting a second desktop if you have the space for one. It'll save you a lot of money and if something goes wrong with it, it can be an easy fix rather than a month getting shipped back to the manufacturer.

Best Buy would probably be your best bet because they have their own tech service. I normally think service plans are a total waste of money, but on a laptop it might be worth it. Just make absolutely sure you can take the thing back to the store from which you purchase it and that they will either repair it on site or get you a replacement. Most service plans actually require you to do pretty much all the work yourself; contacting the manufacturer, shipping it to them, and then getting reimbursed by the "service" provider and it's total BS.

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    There are a ton of back to school deals right now. You can pickup a nice PC laptop with good specs from Dell or HP for under $1000. Or you can get a Macbook from Apple starting at $1099 plus you get a student discount and a free iPod Touch.

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I check this site http://gotapex.com

They are a site that finds some of the best deals around and they often give you discount codes to get additional money off. Don't worry if you miss a deal, it seems like there is always a new deal there. They work a lot with Dell, so if you don't mind a Dell, you can usually find a killer deal.

You can also find great laptop deals at buy.com (if you choose to buy from them, click the link here to get there). Full disclosure; I do get a small commision from buy.com, but I don't suggest them over anyone else.

Also, I see some great deals at newegg.com

Even if you'd prefer to buy locally, it's ggod to check out these and other websites, so you've got an idea what laptops are going for.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    SDC-

Also checkout dealcatcher.com. They too list deals available at Dell.

Now, I wouldn't normally recommend Windows Vista to anyone, but yours is the exception. Why? Well, unlike XP, you can set user limits on a per user basis. XP home/XP Pro simply can't do that.

So, if you want to set time limits as to when your daughter can/can't use the computer, you can. If there are sites you don't want her to go to, you can do that as well. Also, you can restrict downloading and installing software as well. That last part is extremely important. Can't tell you how many times I've seen the "family" or "kids" computer jammed up with crapware because the kids had free reign to download it.

I had a similar situation with a client of mine. Their system had XP Pro. But their daughter was spending a lot of times downloading junk and checking out rather risque myspace pages. I put Vista Ultimate on that system and now she's using the computer properly - homework, research for school, etc.

I know IAD mentioned Best Buy. Believe me when I say, THEY SUCK when it comes to computers. I've had to fix stuff they've supposedly "fixed".

Fry's isn't much better. Don't get a floor demo. I've had clients get a floor demo only to have it fall apart on them because Fry's "modified" the insides.

Look at the Dells. The Vostro's are heavy, but good and they come with a 2 year warranty. Also, make sure you get one with a 15.4" widescreen and plenty of memory (2gb min, 3gb is ideal.).

• Like Like x 1
  7. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Thanks for your help guys. I am really a caveman when it comes to this stuff and I appreciate all the input.

8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I would definatly take CBFs word over mine :icon_mrgreen:

9. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Just check the weekly adds if you get the paper. Best Buy, Fry's, Circuit City....etc.....

I got a laptop for $449 and gave it to my Daughter, but she is 18 (19 in 2 weeks) and dont live with us so i dont have to monitor her.

You can also go into the parental controls in your family PC if you want to keep tabs or restrict certain places. That is if you have a logon for each family member like we do.

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah but if you buy their replacement plan they will just give you a new one if it fails during the time period.

Our xbox 360 got the ring of death and i brought it back and they gave me a new one plus cash back since it was a hundred bucks more then to what it is now. She didnt even turn it on to see it it was broken. Of course for a laptop i dont know what constitutes a replacement.