1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Larry English continues to look more and more like a bust

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, May 21, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Larry English continues to look more and more like a bust

Posted by Evan Silva on May 21, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT

The Chargers surprised many in the 2009 draft when they used the No. 16 overall pick on Northern Illinois defensive end Larry English. English was to transition to outside linebacker in San Diego’s 3-4 defense, and the Chargers already had a formidable-looking duo at the position in Shaun Phillips and Shawne Merriman with Jyles Tucker (5.5 sacks in ’08) emerging behind them.

English had never played linebacker before, and posted underwhelming athletic measurables in pre-draft workouts. After two NFL seasons, English has five career sacks and has started only four games.

The biggest setbacks in English’s first two seasons have been injury-related, and on Friday he showed up to Escondido’s (Cal.) Juniper Elementary School with a protective walking boot on his left foot.

English confirmed to the North County Times that he had foot surgery in March. The Times refers to English’s foot as a “broken-down appendage,” and the fear is that the injury has become chronic.

English also battled a strained hamstring in his rookie training camp, and underwent an initial surgery on the left foot in September of 2010. So he’s now had two foot operations.

The first procedure involved two screws being inserted into the foot.

Said English of the latest surgery, “They put another screw in because something was off. The doctors said it hadn’t healed right or the foot was re-broken. … Hopefully, the second time’s a charm.”

Perhaps English will realize his potential after two left foot surgeries. He’s been a bust to this point.

The Chargers will give English the opportunity to prove his doubters wrong after failing to bring in a starting outside linebacker in this year’s draft.

Larry English continues to look more and more like a bust | ProFootballTalk

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    How is he continuing to look more like a bust in the offseason?

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Lets try to keep logic out of this thread if we can.......... OK??? ;)

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Probably because of this..

"English confirmed to the North County Times that he had foot surgery in March. The Times refers to English’s foot as a “broken-down appendage,” and the fear is that the injury has become chronic."

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Which is why we passed over all the OLB options in a year when we had extra 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. ;)

6. boltcorpse

boltcorpse back from the dead

Ratings:
    +119
    Who is "Larry English?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
    :confused: :confused:
    :confused:

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Who's boltcorpse???.......... ;)

[​IMG]

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If there is an 11 season English should start showing way he was picked or if he's going to be a solid and steady guy. Calling him a bust due to his injuries and move to OLB is a bit early.

9. boltcorpse

boltcorpse back from the dead

Ratings:
    +119
    Yes, who is "boltcorpse?" :confused:

10. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    There goes our team doctor, F'n up players AGAIN! Will someone please tell me why this quack still has a job with the team or a job at all? Seriously! Does he have compromising pictures of Spanos or something!?

11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Bust.

I usually will give a player the benefit of the doubt up to the end of year 3. But English's college tape (regardless of his numbers) and his measurables were as unimpressive as his performance in the NFL has been. It's not revelation that English has failed to impress in the NFL. What would be a compete surprise is if he magically gained a quick first step, a power bull rush, or some other unexplainable talent that would let him get to quarterback regularly. This is not a player who even has that fabled "tremendous upside." With English, what you see is what you get.

An injury on top of everything? Forget about it.

12. socaldelmar

socaldelmar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +20
    First of all, this is a hack job article if I ever saw one, coming from PFT I am not surprised. How can you call a player a bust when they have one rookie season plus a second season mired by a significant injury as their time to 'prove' themselves? Forget that the transition to the NFL game from college is difficult for the majority of rookies, but add in the fact he was asked to play a new position and it's no surprise he wasn't 'lights out' in his first season on the team. Year two comes around and he immediately breaks his foot rendering any potential to build on what he gained his first year, obsolete. This is all we have to go on, labeling him a bust is premature by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not some Larry English apologist either, I was not thrilled with the pick when it was made but unlike what seems like a lot of Chargers fans, I believe I have the right perspective and I will support all Chargers players while they remain on the team.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I would agree that PFT took an entirely negative slant, which isn't evident in the article they were linking. The majority of the article put English's recovery in a more positive light.

Some actual quotes.......

14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    the bottom line here is that it's becoming more evident that he was taken way to high and he's likely going to live up to what the experts said. Bust? Maybe given he was taken so high. So what if he was/is injured. He's not living up to the expectations of a high first round pick