1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Larry English put on IR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Chargers place Larry English on injured reserve
    Posted by Josh Alper on November 12, 2013, 5:39 PM EST

The Chargers can’t seem to keep their pass rushers healthy this year.

Melvin Ingram hasn’t made it to the field after an Achilles injury, Dwight Freeney was lost for the year early in the regular season and Jarret Johnson has been battling injuries all season. Now the team has announced that linebackerLarry English is done for the year with a biceps injury suffered in last Sunday’s loss to the Broncos.

The 2009 first-round pick had 2.5 sacks this season, which ranks him third on the team behind Corey Liuget and Jarret Johnson. Those two players each have three sacks, which illustrates the issues the Chargers have had generating a consistent pass rush this season. English is a free agent after this season, so he may have played his final game for San Diego.

The Chargers also announced that they’ve signed linebacker Adrian Robinson. Robinson was traded from the Steelers to the Eagles for running back Felix Jones in the preseason, but wound up with Denver off of waivers. He played six games for the Broncos before getting cut last month.

2. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +482
    Bye Bye Larry. Another bad AJ pick on his way out of town. Feel bad for the guy. He was never a locker room issue. No one ever claimed he wasn't trying to get healthy or trying hard in practice. Dude just cant stay healthy and when he is, he is not a difference maker.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,248
    He was having a productive season. I wonder how this will impact him being retained in the off season.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,528
    From Gehlken at the UT.....

The final year of Larry English's rookie contract will end on injured reserve.

The Chargers placed the outside linebacker on IR Tuesday with a pectoral injury suffered in Sunday's game against the Broncos. He was seen favoring his right arm following a second-quarter sack of Peyton Manning, exiting the game shortly thereafter. Outside linebacker Adrian Robinson was signed in a corresponding move.

It's the latest health hurdle for English.

A 2009 first-round draft pick, a foot injury put a stop to his second and third seasons, missing 19 games over that span. English's work ethic is well regarded within Chargers Park, but injuries have limited his production.

English has started nine of 52 games over five seasons, totaling 80 tackles and 11 sacks. In 2013, he had 17 tackles and 2.5 sack, not missing a game all year. He played 382 defensive snaps after 408 the previous three years combined.

This season could be the last of English's Chargers career. Next March, he is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent.

Robinson, who is 6-foot-1 and 250 pounds, worked out for San Diego last month shortly after the Broncos waived him. He went undrafted in 2012 out of Temple and played 12 games for the Steelers, primarily on special teams. His one career tackle and 21 defensive snaps both came this year.

Jarret Johnson, Thomas Keiser and rookie Tourek Williams are the other outside linebackers on the Chargers roster. Johnson missed Sunday's game with a lingering hamstring injury, so Keiser and Williams saw heavy playing time.

English, 27, joins Dwight Freeney (torn quad tendon) as Chargers outside linebackers on season-ending injured reserve. Melvin Ingram, who tore his left anterior cruciate ligament in March, is on the Physically Unable to Perform List. He's tentatively expected to return to the practice field next week.

5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Dude finally gets a decent sack...

6. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    I feel bad for English, but he can't contribute if he can't stay on the field, and he's proven he can't stay on the field. Someone will give him another chance and he might still have a decent career, but he has not shown any indication of being the impact player you're looking for when you draft an edge rusher #1.

If Ingram is not 100% the Bolts should shelve him for the season as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +320
    They also brought in some ex Raider b/c of Dunlap's injury. I bet anyone an internet shot of JD that the King ends up on IR.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    He has the heart and mind but his body ain't willing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Sounds like that R KELLY SONG...

We'll guess this is good bye for him!

10. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I think he's done too... Honestly who didn't think Fluker was going to LT?

11. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +100
    Meh....we can always just have Woodhead rush the passer. He seems to be everything we have that is reliable:laugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    I feel sorry for Larry. Not his fault he can't stay healthy and not his fault AJ reached for him. I wish him good health albeit outside of SD.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Not entirely his fault he can't stay healthy, but he's also not blameless. Most non-contact injuries are the result of poor conditioning (of the muscles - i.e. big difference between being "in shape" and "in football shape") and poor technique. Both of those are things which English could have shored up with more time spent honing his craft - it sounds cold and callous now that he's injured, but when you're the guy who isn't as physically talented as your peers, you've got to work twice as hard and twice as long (figure of speech, but you get where I'm going with it...) in order to be competitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Oh Shaun Phillips, where art thou?

15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I saw a stat last year that SP was the worst 3-4 OLB against the run, got washed out every play.

But, he did provide a solid pass rush that this team currently lacks. Though, Tourek Williams has a lot of energy off the edge and showed decent bend and great hustle on that strip-sack, we still need a consistent pass rush.

I would blame the pass rush for the reason why we can't generate turn overs. Also, Derek Cox is not best in off-coverage. He's best in man to man. We can't stop anybody's #1 WR's this season, so why not put Derek Cox on their #1 in man to man coverage. But no pass rush = no turnovers.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Hmmm... I seen to remember a lot of posters here proclaiming preseason that Fluker wouldn't even cut it at RT and would have to play guard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,672
    I don't think people question his heart or his determination but he was asked to be Shawne Merriman when he came in and will always be remembered as the AJ pick instead of Clay Matthews.

• Like Like x 2
  18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    Hate to see anyone injured up, been down that road and the back stretch isn't all that fun.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    True, though to be fair, AJ was still in his "they must be choir boys" phase and Clay was off a number of teams' boards (fair chance of ours as well) because of the strong suspicion that he juiced while he was at USC.