1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Larry English

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Mar 11, 2011.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    What do you guys think of him so far? Too early to call him a bust? Thoughts?

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I like him. He shows good promise. Two season ago he was very promising, this year he was decent. But then again I'm not one for assessments.

3. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    If I were to give him a grade, it would have to be "Incomplete". I just haven't seen enough of him on the field to have a firm opinion. I'd like to see a full season out of him. (...and everybody else!) Here's hoping we have that season in 2011.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Why call him a bust? He is a good LB, probably will never be a great LB, but he has speed off the edge and decent coverage skills...

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    good promise but has to take a step forward and has to stay health

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Nope. Dude is only a step lower than Buster on the bust meter. That label could be removed, but so far he has shown nothing to say he deserves to have it removed

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Healthy or not he's ineffective. He may end up developing a decent pass rusher, but he's never going to be Clay Matthews, DeMarcus Ware, Lamar Woodley, or even Shaun Phillips.

8. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    He would have been a great 2nd round pick. :D:helm1:

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He wouldn't even have been great at a 3rd. He may have been descent as a 3rd, but not great

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Right now, when healthy he is comparable to Antwan Barnes - fair pass-rusher, decent-not-great coverage abilities, not very stellar against the run. The problem is we already have/had/are trying to keep the actual Antwan Barnes on the roster. Now I believe that English has a ceiling that is higher than Barnes' but it's not the sort of ceiling that his draft position would normally indicate.

I'll say this, if Manusky can't get noticeable improvement out of him there's no reason not to call him a bust - if we're factoring draft position into the discussion - insomuch as 1st round picks are typically asked to be more than role players. Larry also doesn't match up as having the ability to ever be that kind of truly productive every-down 3-4 OLB like Phillips (I'm not even going to bring Ware, Matthews, or an in-his-prime Merriman into the discussion) on any of the indicator tests (i.e. Kirwin Explosion Index, etc.).

11. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Hes been largely anonymous has he not??

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I believe in 3 years minimum to form proper assessment of a young NFL player, therefore I'd have to give English a grade of = Incomplete. He's got one more year to earn it.

13. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Larry who?

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Sorry, a 1st round pick should be making an impact by his 2nd year. English has made ZERO impact

15. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree that 1st round picks should be making a impact on the field. 1st rounder WOW.

16. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I don't agree soley because it came out of your mouth

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree. I wish he would NEVER agree with me again. It just discredits my opinion.

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :lol: :lol:

19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    LE was injured.

LOL, Rivers didn't even see the field until his 3rd season. VJ was a POS until he stopped being hurt all the time and learned how to catch. Jammer didn't even learn how to turn his head until season 5.

We probably should have cut all of them since they weren't making an impact. What a bunch of wasted picks.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, QB and OLB are 2 totally different positions. And LE being injured isn't an excuse, if it was, that would be a valid excuse for Buster. If you can't stay healthy, that is just as bad as being straight out bad.

VJ wasn't a 1st round pick, and Jammer struggled with the rules changes that prevented him from being as physical as he was able to be in college.

21. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Maybe next time don't post something so general as "a 1st round pick should be making an impact by his 2nd year" smart guy. You never said anything about positions.

My bad on the VJ not being a 1st rounder, that's on me, but my answer remains the same. 3 years. I don't care what round. 3 years. If after 3 you aren't doing ****, then GTFO.

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'm not calling LE a bust (yet) and showed some promise but THIS season is the pivotal one in year 3. We're going to find out if he's a legit stud or just another draft pick. I still say we go after a stud passrusher/3-4 DE that can put some serious heat on the QB and there are a few that will be available in the 1st round like JJ Watt or Cameron Jordan. We don't have a lot of gaping holes on this team. Maybe a Right Tackle too. We got 5 picks in the 1st 100. I think AJ will have a fine draft. Then again I'm the eternal optimist saying that every year..... :D

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Where does it say in the Rule book that all first round players should be impact players or they're a bust?

24. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    After 3 seasons 1st round picks should at least be solid contributing players, espescially when you take them 16th overall or higher.

I agree people throw the bust tag down WAAAY too quickly sometimes, and English should get 1 more year to prove he can play at this level, but you'd be naive to think AJ is happy with English so far.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are right, I should have been more clear. But that doesn't change the fact that after 2 full years, English has neither been able to stay healthy nor made any sort of an impact. We have undrafted players who have made bigger impacts than him.

26. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Ostensibly, we drafted the guy because he could get to the QB. I haven't seen anything that tells me he can do this well at a professional level. I don't see the first step. I don't see the speed. I don't see the power. I don't see the agility. I don't see the results. And I don't think this skill is something that lends itself to the type of improvement you see with recievers, QBs, or CBs.

Yes, there is a lot more to a LB than pass rushing. But in English's role, pass rush productivity is a make or break proposition. I have my finger's crossed that between being healthy again and working under a different defensive coordinator, English will come into his own... but I'm skeptical.

Is he a bust? That's a nebulous term. As a first round pick is his productivity disapointing? I think so.

27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He has had a few sacks that have shown the ability. Problem is he has not been on the field enough.

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

29. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    LE, Looks average TBH, I heard he was hurt dunno. As what was expected for the $ paid and the draft rank 1st round pick disappointing so far. 1-2 players of his position, 1st rounders and he looks average is not good. How many other 1st rounders are starting every game and helping their teams win by 2nd year. I dunno if AJ picked him on his own or was desperate to replace #56 SM. I think he is so sold on drafts normally. This year though he is finally signing proven players so far so this is a good year for us in my opinion.

1) AJ improving as GM, willing to sign free agents like BOB SANDERS. Being open to new ways of getting our team stacked with talent like 06'.

2) Chargers getting a passionate new D coordinator.

3) Chargers getting a new special teams coach yea!

Now get Norv to contact me about changing our o/D play schemes. I could explain why ect. Even show him my *top secret* run system.

3 great steps in the right direction friends :).

30. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Don't know if you saw my post a few weeks back but I know some mid-tier people in the organization.

If interested I can get you a short call but you need to take this seriously. My reputation will be on the line and I'm not in the business of squandering these sort of relationships.

Since it's a phone call, not a face to face, you will need to put together a deck that can be passed around the organization after the fact.

Up to you. Just let me know.