1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Last AFC Wildcard spot

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Dec 12, 2010.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Ravens or Steelers will obviously get one slot. But with the Jets loss and possible upcoming 2 losses at Pittsburgh and Chicago (which will put them at 9-6 entering the last week). The last spot is suddenly up for grabs. Chargers, Chiefs, Jags, Raiders, Colts, Dolphins are in contention.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Don't give B'more a slot just yet. If they slip in 2 of their last 4, they'll be 10-6 also.

3. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Win out and let the chips fall where they may.

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    crazy that we could still win the division OR still get the 6th WC spot.

If KC loses one more *our best postseason bet* we can take the division, also if Bal can lose to NO and Cleveland could give us more breathing room if KC wins out and still takes the division. Funny that the last game OAKvsKC is a very BIG game in this case. If Oak wins KC will end up taking the WC spot and we tie break for the division lead.

Alot more crazy football to be played. Our spot in the post season is out of our hands, but luckily there are alot of games that are ez to lose for our competition.

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    we just need to make the playoffs. Doesn't matter what spot we get. This chargers team now is very very good. Adding jackson and our offense can't be stopped. No team will want to play the chargers in the playoffs.

6. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    All the talking heads were, and I said were, saying no wild card from the west. On top of 'the west is the weakest div'. I say "jive". Any team can win on any day. I think they are jealous of SD weather.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Unless they look past an opponent like they did with the Raiders

8. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I like the fact that so many teams are still mathmatically alive, that keeps them playing hard and that can only help us. Here's hoping that the divison leading Rams, the nosediving Titans or the still barely alive Raiders can beat the Chiefs, and help us out big time!

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Updated look at playoff picture
    By Kevin Acee

Thursday, December 16, 2010 at 11:41 a.m.

Should the Chargers win tonight against San Francisco, Dec. 26 at Cincinnati and Jan. 2 at Denver while Kansas City loses one of its final three games, the Chargers will win their fifth straight AFC West title.

And that would seem to be the Chargers’ surest route to the postseason.

But in the event the Chargers (7-6) do win out and Kansas City (8-5) doesn’t lose, the New York Jets losing their past two games has made earning a Wild Card spot more conceivable for the Chargers.

The Jets (9-4) continuing their losing streak the next two weeks with games at Pittsburgh and at Chicago is entirely possible. In that event, the Jets would need to beat Buffalo in the season finale to finish 10-6. If that happens, the Jets would be 8-4 in the AFC, same as the Chargers. Both teams would be 4-1 in common games (against New England, Denver, Houston and Cincinnati).

It would then go to the strength-of-victory tiebreaker, and that would be close. The Jets’ wins have come against teams that are 44-75 (.370). The Chargers’ wins have come against teams that are 40-51 (.440). The Chargers’ standing will get weaker in the last three weeks against their 10-29 opposition. But if the Jets lose their next two and beat the Bills (3-10), that won’t help them much either.

The Baltimore Ravens (9-4) are the other team currently sitting in Wild Card position, and it appears less likely the Chargers will catch them. The Ravens are 7-3 in the AFC with games left against New Orleans (an NFC team), at Cleveland and against Cincinnati. But should the Chargers win out and Baltimore wins just once more, the Chargers would finish ahead of the Ravens based either the conference or common opponent tiebreaker (depending on who Baltimore loses to).

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    BEAT SF!!

:helm1::helm1::helm1:

11. Vespy

Vespy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    None of this really matters if we can't even beat the 49ers at home.

12. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    There was a year...2007 I think...where the Chiefs got into the playoffs in the craziest way I have ever seen. Going into week 17, they had LESS than a 1% chance of making the post season.

Three teams had to lose and they were ALL playing at home.

The lowly Bungles had to beat mighty Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh...and they did.

The lowly 49ers had to beat a seemingly playoff bound Denver team at Denver, and they did - in overtime.

Miami also had to lose to the Jets.

Even crazier than all this, was none of it would have mattered if Cinci had not missed an extra point the week before.

The point is...you THINK you know...but you really don't.

The NFL is crazy this time of year. That's why it's so great.

13. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Screw the Wild Card, let's take the division crown by force!

I'd like to see us host the Jets in the Wild Card round again, spank that booty and then hit the road in search of a Lombardi!

14. Vespy

Vespy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I would also like a shot at redemption against those Jets who beat us last year

15. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    The jets didn't beat us cromartie did. Now he's choking for the jets. Keep it up cro' I say.

16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I like the WC road. I want some more redemption on KC and goin to KC and beating them soundly in the playoffs would be a SB in itself for me.

Course I absolutly love the steal the division title in spectacular form dream.

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    It will be Redemption games every week in the post season if we are there. NE, NY, Pitt, KC, hell that is almost every team in contention in the AFC.

Will be a exciting Post season, or a GO RAMS and BUCS kind of January for me.