1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Last Minute News before Sat. game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rexy2006, Aug 8, 2008.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Saturday provides big opportunities for young players

Thursday, Aug 07, 2008
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

Chargers defensive back Paul Oliver didn’t have to think very long when he was asked about the last time he was on the football field for a live game.

“It was the last preseason game last year against the 49ers,” Oliver said. “I had an interception.”

Nearly a full year later, Oliver and several of his young teammates will have a chance to get back on the field, this time with a little more on the line.

“I knew they were going to bring me along last year,” said Oliver, a supplemental draft pick who was inactive for all 16 games as a rookie. “This year in the preseason, I need to show that I’ve grown as a player. I need to get out there and make some plays.”

Oliver will be on the field at free safety with the second-team defense and will likely line up at nickelback with the second unit as well. And his coaches will be watching.

“I think Paul has had a very steady, very good camp,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “He’s a guy that these games become very critical for because he’s done a real nice job in what we’re doing. Now it becomes live football and he’s going to get a chance to tackle, which should be one of his strengths. Then you’ll see how he handles everything that he’s been working on for the last six months.”

Earlier this summer, Turner praised Oliver for his work on the scout team as a rookie, where he would weekly mimic the best defensive back of that week’s opponent. Now Oliver finds himself playing his own role and daily becoming more comfortable with it.

“I know the defense and I know what’s being asked of me,” Oliver said. “I like playing free safety and getting to sit back there and read his eyes. These games are going to be big for me to just play and show how hard I’ve worked over the last year.”

Fellow 2007 draft picks Anthony Waters and Scott Chandler are in similar positions. Chandler has missed some time with a back injury and it’s unlikely he’ll be on the field to face his hometown team Saturday night. Waters, on the other hand, has bounced back from a minor knee operation and is primed to go.

“Anthony has had a real good week of practice,” Turner said. “He needs the work and he’ll get it.”

Like Oliver, Waters didn’t see the field during the regular season last year but is being counted on to provide depth and fill a role in year two.

“It’s been so long since I’ve been out there that I’ve been excited about this chance for a long time,” Waters said. “You hear people talking about you but they haven’t really seen you yet. I’ll finally get to be out there and hopefully show people what I can do.”

Slowed down

Thursday afternoon’s practice was at a slower pace than most training camp practices to this point. The team made some preparations for the Cowboys and took an opportunity to regain their legs a little.

“We’ve been going pretty good,” Turner said. “We had a great practice last night. We’ve got to do some mental reps. We’re playing a game in two days.”

The Chargers will have a walkthrough at Marine Core Air Station Miramar Friday afternoon as their final preparation for the preseason opener.

Medical update

Turner will wait until Saturday to make his final decision as to who will and won’t play Saturday night but promises to make careful choices.

“We’re going to be smart with what we do,” Turner said. “Our guys know we want them to play. It’s important to play. I want them to get the number of reps we want, but if a guy can’t go he can’t go.”

Wide receiver Vincent Jackson, offensive tackle Marcus McNeill and defensive end Luis Castillo did not work Thursday, but Igor Olshansky was back on the field after missing some time. Fullback Jacob Hester was excused for personal reasons but will play plenty on Saturday.

Turner did say that he’d like to get Philip Rivers 15-20 snaps with Billy Volek and Charlie Whitehurst splitting the remainder.

Blackout lifted

Enough tickets have been sold to lift the local television blackout and allow Southern California to see the match-up between the San Diego Chargers and Dallas Cowboys on Saturday, Aug. 9 at Qualcomm Stadium. Kickoff is 7:06 p.m. PDT.

The game will be televised in San Diego on KFMB-TV, Channel 8 and in Los Angeles and Orange County on KCBS-TV, Channel 2. Ron Pitts and Billy Ray Smith will call the action. The game also can be seen on XEWT, Channel 12 (Televisa) in San Diego and throughout Baja California. Carlos Yeme, Anuar Yeme and Carlos Melo will announce the Spanish telecast.

Beyond the local telecast, the game is being carried by KLAS in Las Vegas, KKFX in Santa Barbara, KGMB in Hawaii, KPSE in Palm Springs, KBAK in Bakersfield and KSWT in Yuma, Arizona and the Imperial Valley.

A limited number of Club Level and other single seats are available online at www.chargers.com; at the Chargers Ticket Office at Qualcomm Stadium (Gate C), or by calling TicketMaster at 619-220-TIXS (8497).

• Like Like x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Philip's going to get a hell of a reaction from the crowd

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Here's a list of guys who won't dress tomorrow night:

DE Luis Castillo Back
    TE Antonio Gates Toe
    C Nick Hardwick Foot
    WR Vincent Jackson Hamstring
    T Marcus McNeill Neck
    WR Legedu Naanee Groin
    FB Andrew Pinnock Knee
    WR Billy Pittman Hamstring
    RB LaDainian Tomlinson Groin

note: I'll dress for the game to avoid scaring people.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

5. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    I'd prefer that the Loch Ness Monster remained a myth.

6. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    'The Chargers will have a walk through at Marine Core Air Station Miramar Friday afternoon as their final preparation for the preseason opener.'

What or where exactly is the Marine Core Air Station Miramar??? :icon_shrug:

Is this some new military group I've not heard of?:icon_huh:

7. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842

Confessed faults are half mended.
    Scottish Proverb

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I dont like the sound of that

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's an understatement. PR is most everyone's darling at this point. He could play with a wooden leg & get cheered. :lol:

I'd like to see Volek get the first half, PR get about half of the 3rd, & Charlie get the rest. Billy needs to be ready for the fire, just in case. Charlie should get the next most. Next game or two, he gets the majority.

I know it's preseason, but I'm jazzed to see some Charger football. Being almost 3k miles away makes the jones even worse. :yes:

Can't wait to see Hester, Thomas, Cason, Sproles, Buster, Naanee, McKinney, Divens, Robertson, Newberry - you get my drift. I know what our starters have - I wanna see the depth. If it's 80% of what I think it is, we've got one helluva year in front of us.

I wanna steamroll Dallas w/our backups. :icon_twisted:

10. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Sounds like they are just being cautious.

11. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    what's up with LT's groin?:lol:

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Can I dress for the Raider game, and I will even play the line, either side.

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :lol: :lol: Good one.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    LT's pussing out again :lol:

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    haha - yeah, that's a good one. :unsure:

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Frustrating in the extreme not to be seeing Naanee.

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    No, it's not.