1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Last play of the game analysis...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    This post is from another site & sums up what should've happened on that last play.

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think they had Sproles stuffed regardless if Lewis got him or not .. They had the outside sealed off as well.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    One suggestion... USE YOUR LAST TIME OUT!!!

They tried hurry up offense for the last play and that was stupid!!!

They should have ran it straight up the gut when it was 3rd and 2. If they didn't make it, then use your last time out and figure something out.

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Ah man, if Dielman takes Lewis out that's a possible TD. Play action fake it to Sproles then throw it for a possible TD. That's what Norv should have done, but woulda, coulda, shoulda.....

5. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    So out of the linemen.... the only pro bowler.. forgets to block Ray Lewis..

Great.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    That's what it looks like to me.

Not saying this was the right play call. But it does show what happens when a play isn't executed properly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    It was really close. 5 times in the redzone - no TD

Ravens are a playoff caliber team.

Just get the youngsters a quick learning curve.

Win the next two games by surprise

and the days are bright again.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I called Dielman out straight after the game sun nite. He looks fat and seems to be going through the motions. He has been beaten/made look a fool more times already this season than he was all last year. I watched that last play over again as soon as it was complete and noticed how he pulled never bothering to stop and check Lewis.

Maybe he didn't see him, maybe he did. Maybe he didn't bother his arse.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think that the last play analysis actually proves why running the ball on 4th and 2 was a bad call. Too many things can go wrong during a run play as Ray Lewis showed us.

When you run the ball you are pretty much limiting your options. That is why a pass play will pretty much always be a better call in that type of situation. If they would of called a pass play there would of been at least three possible options on the field. Either Rivers passes it to Jackson or to Chambers (assuming they call a max protect play) or Rivers scrambles for two yards. And that's being EXTREMELY conservative. Sure a sack can occur but that's pretty much what happened on the running play so...

If anything the run play should of been called on 3rd and 2. Either way you look at it, it was a bad play call. It really can't be justified.

The play on 3rd and 2 also baffled me. Why on gods green earth does Norv call a play that takes 5 seconds to develop when you only need 2 yards? Norv should take a look at the Steelers. When they need to march down the field and especially when they need 3 or 4 yards they always load up on one side and have the receivers run slants. The play takes very little time to develop minimizing the chance of a sack.

I don't mind throwing it down field, just don't do it when you NEED 2 yards.

10. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    So are the Chargers. You can argue that the bolts are better! since even with injuries and a ton of stupid penalties, not to mention BAD BAD BAD play calling they almost beat them.

Let's not make excuses for the bolts. They are the better team and they didn't show it. I'm tired of hearing excuses for my team.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    the way the game was goin' (rivers feel'in it) the ball needed to be thrown, period. play action out'a that formation to gates in the flat perhaps? i dunno but it should'a been a pass.
    i was scream'in at the tv for them not to run before the play.
    but whatever it's not like it was in the playoffs. let's see how they respond.

12. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    While I agree with your points, a playoff-caliber team needs to make two yards on the ground. Period.

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Something is very wrong with Dielman.

14. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I agree with you. They should. But we were betting on our weakness against their strength. If this was 06, I'm all with you. But this team is a passing team. Besides, as much as I like Sproles, if he gets hit square he's going down. He's not going to break many tackles and get a couple of yards.

I just think that in that situation Norv has got to go with his strengths. If he wants to establish the run, he's got to do it in the begining of the game. But when all the chips are down you gotta go with what gives you the best chance at winning. Norv just plain screwed up.

I'm not one of those fans that is going to call for his head. I value the 3 playoff wins he's helped the team get. But he has got to remember this and never do it again. He's also got to call some shorter routes. The passing plays take too long sometimes and Rivers ends up having to throw the ball away. There is a time for long passes. Just not when it's 2nd or 3rd and 3. Just get the first down and take it from there.

15. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Spread formation w/ Jackson, Gates, Floyd and Nanee keep Hester in to block and let her rip... Rivers and co. Moved the ball all day but stalled in the endzone. That last drive was supposed to be the awakening of "Air Turner" but the PA pass and then the run stuffed on 4th and 2 screwed that up. Its like Coreyel used to say, " just throw the ball!"

16. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Just throw the ball because we don't have a Chuck Muncie in the backfield.

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    We would have if Dielman seals off Ray Lewis.....:icon_evil:

18. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    I don't know .. Even if Dielman seals off the run, there were 2 CBs sealing off the outside and they had been having no problem tackling Sproles all day long. So to me, it was still a big IF ...

19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Call it bad execution all you like, they hadn't been executing the run plays all game long so what makes the playcaller think they would have done so at such a crucial point?

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It's HUMP DAY... time to get over it.

Time to kill some Tuna.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    True, but I'll take the Lightning Bug against some corners. He can juke those guys. Not an untouched Ray Lewis... :no:

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'd take a QB who's shredded their pass "defense" to the tune of 436 passing yards on the day with the game on the line, but that's just me.

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Take it... Please. We tried taking it 3 times before the run and it didnt work. When are you going to move on?

If you believe that play lost the game, your call, but it is extreemly myopic.

Basically you are saying you would take a sack of rivers over a stuff of Sproles. Without Lewis being blocked the play ends just as quickly...

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Right. Because 3 plays is more telling of Rivers' success rate that game than the previous 3 3/4 quarters when he threw for 436 yards.

Obviously it's not the only thing that lead to the loss, it's just a dumb playcall that decided the game in the end.

And I'm being no more myopic than you are assuming Rivers would have been sacked on a pass call.

Right. Because the blocking scheme would have been the exact same had they called a different play.

26. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    Most of those 436 yards came between the 20's - inside the 20's was a completely different story.

The Raven's defense specializes in taking away the short passing game - we were fine when it came to the deep ball but when you don't have the deep threat anymore and little to no running threat your options get very limited and our line wasn't giving PR the protection he needed to make the plays in the redzone.

You can blame that one play for everything that happened on Sunday until you're blue in the face and it doesn't mean we would have won the game had we let PR drop back to pass. Ray Lewis made a great play and our line did not. When you let Ray Lewis run unblocked thru your line with a headstart before the snap - it isn't going to end well.

There were 12 stupid penalties committed by the Chargers - Legs didnt run straight ahead for the 1st down - 2nd int wasn't an int was uncalled PI - defense couldn't stop the run to save their damn lives - dropped passes/well defended passes - dumbass play clock/review rule - cooper dropping an int - cason getting burned for a td.... all of that had a much bigger impact imo, but that's just me.

It's done. Time to move on and fry some fishies.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    No, but apparently you missed all the other ocasions that the Ravens red zone defense held us out of the end zone. :unsure:

yes, that was in your vaunted 3 3/4 quarters of play.

Well you and I will have to agree to disagree on that. Nor do i feel the need to start trying to talk sense into the new and improved version of B4L that you have become.

Really? So who woudl have picked up Lewis? I know, your magical 8 ball told you that a pass would ahve won the game. Sorry, shoulda woulda coulda doesnt cut it for me.

It may have been, it possibly might have been. I guess your assumptions are better than anyone elses, right?

28. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    You're wrong here Conc. It wasn't just the last play, but the last 2 or 3 offensive plays that cost the bolts the game.

We can argue about bonehead penalties, bad throw aways by Philip or the lack of pass rush 'till we are blue in the face but the fact remains that even with 3 slugs lodged deeply in their foot the bolts were still 15 yards away from a victory and Norv's horrible decisions cost the team a win.

Norv pitted our weakness against their strength! WHY? These aren't the Raiders we're talking about. The Ravens have possibly the best middle linebacker that played the game and they try to run it by him with a 180 pound back ON 4TH AND 2!!? Are you $hitting me?! I wouldn't feel comfortable with that call even if Brandon Jacobs was in the backfield? If he was going to run Sproles, fine. Run him on 3rd and 2. But you're telling me that that was Norv's best option with the game on the line?

I remember feeling duped after seeing Ray stuff Sproles on that play. I felt like someone had played a joke on me because I don't think I could remember the last time I saw a potential game winning drive end on a run. The only time I can remember was last year when the Niners blew it and tried to run it in agains the Cards with the game on the line. And trust me, I know first hand that people here in Arizona were very thankfull for that Niner brain fart.

I'm not calling for Norv's head. He's helped the bolts get 3 playoff wins, but if he thinks he made the right call in that situation, then the team is screwed. He's got to learn from this.

29. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I would have called a double-reverse flea flicker to Jackson.

30. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    For all of you who think we should have passed, did you miss all the times we passed inside the 20 yard line previously, only to come up short?

The 3 plays previous to that 4th and 2 were passes... and misses.