1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Late-summer AFC West checkpoint

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/31068/post-lockout-camp-afc-west-checkpoint

[​IMG]

San Diego

Key pickups: Linebacker Takeo Spikes, safety Bob Sanders, pass-rusherTravis LaBoy

Key losses: Running back Darren Sproles, linebacker Kevin Burnett, receiverLegedu Naanee.

Story of camp: I didn't sense this team scrambling to make up for lost time following the lockout. For the most part, the key components of this team are in place and several players worked out together locally during the length of the lockout. The Chargers had seemingly a zillion free agents and they kept the players they wanted. So, it has been a smooth camp in San Diego as continuity has been the key.

Keep an eye on: A lot has been made of the arrival of Spikes and Sanders to the No. 1-ranked defense in the NFL. But don’t discount impact of No. 18 overall pick Corey Liuget. The Illinois product has been outstanding. He has taken over the preseason games at times. He is an explosive defensive end who quickly gets into the backfield. The game doesn’t seem too big for Liuget. Expect him to be an instant starter and have a chance to be a premier player early in his career.

Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson's view: “I think San Diego is clearly the class of the division. I don’t think people are paying enough attention to this team. I love the offense. Philip Rivers is good as it gets. He has great weapons. Defensively, this team has added playmakers at every level. If the special teams can improve even marginally, they are going to win a lot more games. This could be the year. I think they are a sleeper team that could win it all.”

2. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I like what I hear about Liuget.

3. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    "It could be the year."

Seems to be the main point for the last decade almost.

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Were they saying that in 2001-2002? :p

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Liuget & Garay are gonna be big nasties this year. Gotta shore up the ILB's a bit still, IMO. Mouton has a ways to go yet. Also hope that Stuckey comes along quickly in case the injury bug bites Sanders again.

6. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    "It could" no: It should be our year !