1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lawyer calls Foley's companion 'heroic'

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Woman pleads not guilty to charges
    By Dana Littlefield
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    September 8, 2006

Conflicting versions of the controversial shooting of San Diego Chargers linebacker Steve Foley unfolded yesterday during and after a court hearing in which Foley's female companion pleaded not guilty to criminal charges.

The prosecutor painted a picture of drunken, criminal behavior in which Foley was wounded by an off-duty police officer who felt he was “trapped” in a cul de sac near Foley's home and in danger of being rammed by the woman at the wheel of Foley's vehicle.

Meanwhile, the woman's lawyer said she acted “heroically” and that neither she nor Foley realized that the man trying to stop them on suspicion of drunken driving was an officer.

The lawyer said Foley and the woman thought they might have been the targets of a carjacker or “an over-exuberant fan” early Sunday morning before the officer shot Foley in the confrontation.

Lisa Maree Gaut, 25, of San Diego pleaded not guilty yesterday in San Diego Superior court to four felony and misdemeanor charges, including assault with a deadly weapon on a peace officer and driving under the influence. If convicted, she could be sent to prison for up to five years.

Click the link for the full article.
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060908-9999-7m8gaut.html

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    You can also see a picture of her. I think Foley coulda dun better.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    L, face it. You would do anything as long as rigamortis hasnt set in yet!

:icon_tease:

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

:frightened: :frightened: :frightened: :frightened: :icon_wtf:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,886
    i don't care really what you ccall this clusterfrack of a situation but to say she's heroic when she tried to run over a cop, i think that just pathetic.:tdown:

on a lighter note, that's a nice *** in that last post leisure thumbs up my brother

6. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Possibly... Hell, she's in jail. They probably get to wash their hair as preparation for court. She's stressed out... You're seeing her at her worst if you are gauging looks. Right? :icon_wink:

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If they were facing a car jacker in her mind or a crazed fan, then she was heroic. There is a plausible scenario Foley did not believe this dude was a cop and just some crack pot. :yes:

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    No, I am looking at facial structure.:icon_mrgreen:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Ant, when a cop pulls up next to me, in a mazda and IDs himself with a fucggin gun, the last thing I think he is, IS A COP! I give the bastard the bird and drive away as fast as I can!

Tell this cop to go back to the acadamy and try again!:icon_evil:

He did everything wrong in this situation. Its a fuggin DUI, why did he let it escalate to where it was a gun firing incident?! Cops are taught today that if a situation is that bad to back off until they get help. He didnt, he went all Dirty Harry... The cop has a lot to be accountable for here.

10. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    She has another side to the story. I don't really know what's going on other than an off duty cop made a stop, breaking many rules along the way. Yes, Foley and Gaut were legally drunk yet I can buy that they didn;t know thery were dealing with a cop and that her reving an engine was tryng to get the car in gear while she was in a panic. Her "date" was lying on the ground after being shot by someone... She says she was trying to get to him to get him in the car and get the hell out of there.

It's feasible that a jury will buy Gaut's story as well. Mark my words here. :icon_wink:

OK, I wouldn't go so far as calling her a hero.:icon_mrgreen: That's her lawyers job... He's making a good case...

11. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: yah cause then their makeup wears out already and you don't have to deal with this

[​IMG]

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Yup. At the stoplight his badge was on his right side of his belt. Rumor has it the badge was never presented.

13. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    If they're still with you in the morning... you've done well the night before. :icon_wink: :bolt: :lol:

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    You sayin the term 'Coyote Ugly' comes into play with L?:icon_eek:

15. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Maybe Foley had his beer goggles on...

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,847
    :lol:

17. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    You think UT might have an agenda? I mean, there's no way they could have chosen a picture that doesn't make her look like a pouty brat?

You can always tell what a newspaper's agenda is by the pictures they choose to run...

18. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66

Or else you couldn't find a way to sneak out...

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The race card will be drawn as well ... it is just a matter of time - or did I just do it? :icon_mrgreen:

20. The Admiral

The Admiral BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    who knew Foley liked dirty blonds
    she aint bad looking :yes:
    im sure she has seen better days

21. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

And you thought the "leisure lock" was about gambling. l. locks them in for the night. :lol: :lol: :lol:

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 10:21 a.m. EDT, September 8, 2006

FOLEY'S FRIEND WAS A FREAKIN' FUGITIVE

It's been a couple of days since we've last updated the bizarre incident that resulted in the shooting of Chargers linebacker Steve Foley. Here's what happened Thursday.

The most significant development, in our view, is that the woman who was with Foley when he was shot -- and who drove Foley's car at off-duty officer Aaron Mansker -- was wanted for skipping out on a September 2004 preliminary hearing for four felony charges.

Lisa Maree Gaut was, in other words, a fugitive.

And maybe that explains why she and Foley ignored Mansker's repeated instructions to pull over. Regardless of whether they thought he was a real cop with a real gun, Gaut knew that she was in deep doo-doo if her name made it into the computer back at headquarters.

Still, the entire situation stinks. Per a prosecutor who spoke during a Thursday arraignment of Gaut, Mansker now claims that he felt "trapped" in a cul-de-sac before he opened fire. The prosecutor also said that Mansker had decided to drop the pursuit of Foley because no officers had responded to his calls for back-up, but Mansker was blocked in the dead-end street where Foley resides.

So when the car driven by Gaut came at Mansker, he put two bullets into the vehicle -- and three into Foley. Mansker claims that Foley was reaching into his pants with his right hand, but all indications are that Foley was unarmed.

Gaut's attorney said at Thursday's hearing that Foley and Gaut had ignored the orders from Mansker to pull over because they thought he was a carjacker or an "overeager fan."

Meanwhile, Foley has refused to talk to police about the incident as he recovers in a hospital from the shooting and the surgery that followed. He has been placed on the Chargers' non-football injury list, and he will not be paid for 2006 (although the team could pay him if it chose to do so). Though he isn't presently facing charges, our guess is that Foley knew about Gaut's status as a fugitive, and that he's watched enough television to know that he might be in trouble if it's proven that he was helping her in any way. (E.g., the Seinfeld "fugitive sex" episode.)

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...y?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

Foley's Friend a Wanted Woman
    Gaut, who drove toward police officer, had failed to appear in court for 2004 felony charges.
    By Lance Pugmire, Times Staff Writer
    September 8, 2006

The woman who prosecutors say drove aggressively toward an off-duty Coronado police officer before the officer shot San Diego Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was wanted by Solano County law enforcement authorities on a fugitive warrant.

Lisa Maree Gaut, 25, was facing a September 2004 preliminary hearing on four felony counts when she failed to appear in a Vallejo courtroom, drawing a $25,000 bench warrant for her arrest, a Solano County Superior Court official said Thursday. Gaut faces felony counts of stealing a vehicle, possessing a stolen vehicle, possessing stolen property and fraud, the court official said.

CLICK ON LINK FOR REST OF STORY

24. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    She definitely doesn't sound like a model citizen from this and other stories about her that are floating around the internet. Nonetheless, Mansker still "stinks" and should never wear a badge again. I believe he escalated this traffic stop to an unnessary level of violence

I'd love to hear his story about being trapped...:lol: He shouldn't have made the stop unless he knew that on duty back up was definitely on the way... That's a no brainer... Geez.

Also, there's enough blame to go around here... In my book, Mansker, the supposed professional, gets most of it.

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20060909-9999-7m9protocol.html

Law protects drivers, experts say

Foley case generates debate on pulling over

By Alex Roth
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    September 9, 2006

Is a driver required to pull over when ordered to do so by a guy in an unmarked car who claims to be a police officer? The answer, as a general rule, is no, legal experts say.

The issue has been the topic of endless water-cooler debate in the week since San Diego Chargers linebacker Steve Foley was shot by a Coronado officer near the player's Poway home at 3:41 a.m. Sept. 3.

The officer was off duty, wearing civilian clothes and driving his civilian car – a black Mazda sedan – when he spotted Foley's classic Oldsmobile Cutlass weaving erratically on state Route 163.

Officer Aaron Mansker tried to get Foley to stop. Foley ignored the officer's commands, touching off a series of events that ended with the officer shooting Foley three times after the player exited the car near his house. In a court appearance Thursday, a lawyer for Lisa Maree Gaut, a passenger in the Cutlass, said Foley thought the officer might be a carjacker or an “overexuberant fan.”

Under state law, a person who refuses to pull over can't be convicted of evading a police officer unless the officer's car has a red light and a siren. Additionally, the officer must be in uniform and the officer's car must be “distinctively marked” as a law-enforcement vehicle.

The reason for the wording of the statute is fairly obvious, legal experts say: A driver shouldn't be forced to stop unless he or she is positive the person in the rear-view mirror is really a police officer.

'The Red Light Bandit'

CLICK ON LINK FOR REST OF STORY

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Kinda reminds me of Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme.

27. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    wow separated at birth... :yes: