1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Leading the charge - What does Norv Turner need to do to get some respect

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Jan 6, 2010.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I stopped reading here -
    uhh no, he doesn't get any respect because of his pre-Charger past & he hasn't won a SB.:tdown:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=reilly_rick&id=4800800&sportCat=nfl

When you're stuck with the name Norv and your hair looks like it was styled by Bill Gates and you're skinny enough to fax yourself places, you're not going to intimidate anybody in the NFL.

Which is why the San Diego Charger's Norv Turner -- the hottest coach in the league the past three years -- continues to be about as famous as a Des Moines podiatrist. The man has been in one ad in San Diego during his tenure.

But here's what he has done in San Diego: He's won three AFC West titles in his three seasons, has won every game he's coached in December and has the longest winning streak in the league at 11 (including wins over Dallas, Philly, Cincy, the Giants and Denver). Yet you never hear so much as a cough about him for Coach of the Year. This might be because he doesn't look like a coach. He looks like an accountant waiting for a bus.

"I've been told I look more like an English teacher," Norv says.

"You need to smile more," his wife, Nancy, tells him.

"He won't toot his own horn like other coaches," says his son Drew, 20.

Me, I think it's his news conferences. He stumbles, he stammers, he starts over. He makes Elmer Fudd sound like a toastmaster. "Around the guys, he's not like that at all," says a team exec. "He's funny and dynamic. But something happens in front of the media and I think people underestimate him because of it."

Give you an example: Here is his exact full answer when I asked, "Do you wish you were more polished in front of the media?"

Norv: "I just wanna be, and that's -- I wanna be, I think I'd like people knowin' what I'm really like, and bein' real, and this game -- and you know I'm respectful of the multimedia aspect of the sport -- and the league does a great job. Some of it I do enjoy doing, and I've watched it back, you need to smile more. But I've been on both sides. You open up a little bit and I've obviously been in places -- you've struggled -- you're too light and you're too this. So, I enjoy the media, it's probably, you know, I probably should."

So at least we cleared that up.

Norv's curses are three:

1. That name, which is short for Norval, which was also the name of his grandfather, who was long dead by the time he was born. "So I never got to ask him how he liked it," he says, ruefully. "My brother and I are very grateful nobody named us Norv," says Drew. One day in the locker room this season, guys were asking tailback LaDainian Tomlinson -- whose wife is pregnant -- what they were going to name the baby. Turner chimed in that he had some ideas, but when a player asked if the name Norv was on the list, he answered, "Hey, I'm STILL mad at my mom over that one."

2. His "Leave It to Beaver" haircut, which hasn't changed since the 1970s, complete with cowlick. "Well," Norv says, "the headset doesn't help."

3. A lousy agent. His first two head-coaching jobs in the league were under arguably the two most difficult owners in pro sports -- Daniel Snyder in Washington and Al Davis in Oakland. He lost in both places and was labeled a loser. That's like divorcing Charlie Sheen and being called a bad wife. The Redskins just hired their sixth coach since Norv and none of them have had a better finish than his 10-6 in 1999. The Raiders, meanwhile, are working on their third post-Norv coach with no end to the suffering in sight, and we all know why.

Would he recommend that his son Scott, an assistant at Pitt, take the Raiders' job? "Uh, no," Norv says.

Really, if you inherited an NFL team tomorrow, how could you do better than Norv? He's tight with his team. He has "the steadiness, the never-flinch leadership and attitude," Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has said. He's seen it all. (Among current NFL coaches, only Jeff Fisher, Bill Belichick, Tom Coughlin and just-hired Mike Shanahan have more seasons under their belts.) He's arguably the finest playcaller in the league, having been the brains behind the great Dallas Cowboys' Super Bowl teams (Troy Aikman had Norv present him at the Hall of Fame) and having run NFL offenses, as a coach and coordinator, for 19 seasons.

He is a good man worth rooting for. He is a man who's known loss. His father ditched the family when Norv was 2. His mother suffered from MS and died of cancer. His older brother, Richard, died suddenly in his sleep. His sister now has MS. And yet Norv remains sunny and grounded and humble. :icon_sad:wow, dude has been through some tough times.

Which is why what you'd like to see now is for Norv to go out and win a Super Bowl.

If he does? Might he let loose a whole entire smile for the cameras?

"Let's not get carried away," he says. :lol:

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Right. He doesn't get any respect because of the way he looks.

I take back the comment I just posted to B4L in the other thread about his logic being the most asinine logic I've ever read. :lol:

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

CAN WE HAVE A TIE?

:lol:

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    No, this is one example. B4L has a volumes.

I concur wrbanwal. His history as a HC for the 2 worst run franchises in the NFL is why he is gets no respect. No one has been successful in either of those franchises since he was there. Only Gibbs(HoF Coach) did as well as Turner.

5. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    :yes::tup:

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Norv worked for 2 renowned HC killers, Al Davis & Daniel Snyder.

Need I say much more? :icon_shrug:

7. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    1) Take the Chargers to the Super Bowl this year.
    2) Win said Super Bowl.
    3) Repeat #1 and #2 next year.:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Norv has the respect of his players. He'll likely never say it in these words, but I'm pretty sure that he could give a flying fu.ck about the rest.

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Especially fans that like to show him their IQ as he is leaving the field.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Or # of friends that they had before their dog died.

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It's Rick Reilly

Most of his stuff is meant to be tongue in cheek.

I used to read him a lot when he was on the back page of SI.

Not so much anymore.

But thanks for posting. I liked it.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Win the whole dame thing!!!

You were given a 14-2 team, now stop looking for excuses!!!

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If remember properly in my approaching dotage, he alone has survived the ordeal. He has sunk the Bungo Petes, too.

14. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Norv would have to win it all.

15. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Are you sure he would get respect?

Many might respect him more, but haters will always hate.

16. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    He needs to win a Super Bowl, that's about it.

He's had uber-talented teams in SD and he hasn't gotten over the hump. That has to factor into peoples decisions about Norv.

17. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Marty also had very talented teams in playoffs and never won a playoff in san diego and he was there 4 or 5 years. Norv has been there 3 yrs= 3 div. champ 1 trip to afc champ with a lot injuries to boot including this year. The guy deserves respect, its very difficult to win a super bowl in this league. Look how many great coaches have never won a super bowl. Look how many great coaches that won, but it took them a lot longer than 3 yrs to win. Just like someone else said haters will always be haters.

18. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I mean in 2 yrs in playoffs there the guy is 3-2 and both teams he lost to went on to win the super bowl. Martyball lost 2 outta 3 yrs in playoffs at home 1st game and he probably had most talented team in afc both times. Some people will never be happy. If he wins superbowl this year some people will say well he has to win another while this team is still in their prime. Guys a good coach give him credit now. Give him more credit if he wins superbowl.

19. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    If he's that good.....why don't other people see it?

Does every broadcaster hate Norval?

Does every coach hate Norval?

I'm guessing you guys didn't see all his Redskins games. I hate little Danny Snyder as much as anyone, but Norval still called the plays and motivated the team. My wife is a lifelong Skins fan. My father-in-law has had Skins seasons tickets forever. He is a football fan through and through, from NCAA to NFL. He has nothing good to say about Norv.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Until Norval puts out the fire with a Super Bowl he'll always be a 2nd class citizen. Second place is the "first loser." I'm sure there was some guy right behind Edison in the patent office with a light bulb. We'll never know his name, though.

I'm sure he's a very nice guy, if that matters to anyone.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    And now he has a 13-3 team.

When are you going to quit beating this same lame drum about a 14-2 team that couldn't do **** in the playoffs and isn't even really the same team he's had the past 3 years?

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Come on Leo, everyone knows that a team should never get less wins after a 14-2 season...

I mean, everything stays the same, players and schemes dont change, rules dont change, so the entire NFL should always be 14-2.

Care to deny?

:icon_rofl:

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I lived in Northern Va when he was coaching the Redskins, I know all about it.

There's a reason Norv was not welcomed here with open arms when he was first hired.

But you can't deny what he's done with the team the past three years.

Sure, he hasn't achieved the ultimate goal yet, but I'm willing to bet that had anybody else who's name wasn't "Norv Turner" took over the team and lead them to 3 division championships and 3 wins in the playoffs but no SB yet nobody would be calling for his head or suggesting that he needs to win it all to save his reputation with the team.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    My Mazda 3 can beat your Lamborghini. :lol:

That's because I didn't burn the tires of off it with my over-aggressive practice laps & fast start, but instead drove consistently, saved gas & tires, & didn't have to pit as often.

Care to deny?

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Those that really matter and count in Norv's life and career already respect him. The rest of ya can kiss his white winning ***.:yes:

25. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I guess your idea of "winning" is different than mine.:lol:

There is only one winning team, in each sport, each year. This isn't kindergarten soccer where everyone gets a medal.

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I never said there wasn't work still to be done and I haven't heard that from anyone in Chargerville, we all want a Lombardi.

Besides it isn't anything that you need to be blowing alligator boogers out your nose just yet.

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

He's had 3 years to take a 14-2 team to Super Bowl.

What's the problem?

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Injured knees and toes in 2007, fluke bounces off Weddle's helmet in 2008, 2009 isn't done yet? :icon_shrug:

What was Marty's problem in 2006 with a healthier team?

29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    What does that have to do with anything! We are talking 14 and toooo man! 14-2!

30. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

It's funny how some obsess on the 14-2 team of 2006 and view that as the benchmark for this team. I prefer to look at that as a fluke and marvel at that great things that Norv has done to improve upon a 9-7 team (2005). From 9-7 to 13-3, that kicks some serious ***. Wahooo!!!

:abq2::abq1::abq2: