1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

League’s New DirecTV Deal Sets Stage For NFLN Breakthrough?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 23, 2009.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    League’s New DirecTV Deal Sets Stage For NFLN Breakthrough?
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2009, 7:17 p.m. EDT
    The National Football League unexpectedly announced on Monday an agreement to extend its contract with DirecTV through 2014.

And the new contract contains a provision that could help the league put NFL Network onto more of the major cable systems.

The kicker is that the Red Zone Channel, an excellent series of live-game look-ins hosted by Andrew Siciliano of FOX, will be made available no later than 2012 to cable systems, other satellite providers, and the Internet.

Thus, though the league continues to reserve the exclusive package of Sunday afternoon games to DirecTV, which has hosted the package since its inception in 1994, cable providers like Comcast and Time Warner will be able to provide NFL fans with the ability to continuously tour the various league’s games from 1:00 p.m. ET until well after 7:00 p.m. ET.

With Comcast and NFLN poised to divorce completely in the near future (multiple readers have advised us that Comcast already is making noise to its subscribers about the possible departure of NFLN from the choice of channels), the availability of the Red Zone Channel could be the leverage that the league needs to get cable companies interested in finding a way to provide both NFLN and the Red Zone Channel to its subscribers.

The downside? FOX and CBS might be more than a bit uncomfortable about the possibility that folks who would be watching the games offered in their local markets on the traditional Sunday afternoon networks might flock to the potpourri of action provided by the Red Zone Channel.

It’s an issue that the league will have to confront when the deals with FOX and CBS expire after the 2011 season — or sooner if the league opts to launch the Red Zone Channel before then.

The new arrangement with DirecTV also will allow customers who can’t get the Sunday Ticket package via satellite to purchase it for viewing over the Internet. This could unleash a flood of purchases from Americans living overseas, and/or from fans in other countries.
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/23/leagues-new-directv-deal-sets-stage-for-nfln-breakthrough/

2. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Among the new features for fans are:

•Red Zone Channel: subscribers who do not have DIRECTV will have access to the "Red Zone" channel through local cable systems or telco and Internet providers. This special channel has been part of NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) on DIRECTV the past four seasons and will continue for those subscribers. It provides live look-ins and real-time highlights from every Sunday afternoon game starting at 1 P.M. (ET) through the late afternoon games. The channel switches from game to game and airs live action when a team is in the Red Zone (inside the 20-yard line) and poised to score. A host also provides real-time scoring and fantasy updates.
    •NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) on Broadband: Fans who live in areas where DIRECTV's service is not available, such as apartment buildings or in residences with poor sightlines to a satellite signal, will be able to purchase a new NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) broadband package.:tup:

5. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Now I can dig the broadband package, but still

LAME

[​IMG]

6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Great day!

~ The Chargers only get a 4th for Michael Turner.
    ~ I will be stuck with the Turds on Thanksgiving.
    ~ New special rules being passed to give the Jets and Patriots easier schedules.
    ~ And the NFL continues Direct's monopoly on Sunday Ticket.

I have Dish Net and love it. I refuse to switch to Direct just to get Sunday Ticket, and I would surely buy it if it were offered on Dish Net. So the NFL has cost themselves at least one subscriber to Sunday Ticket, and I am sure there are thousand like me who refuse to be manipulated into buying Direct.

****** day at the Owner's Meetings.

7. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Dont forget about people who live in buildings that cant get a clean signal due to dish restrictions. I would be all over the computer stream though

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    *raises his hand*

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Got DirecTV and love it...

• Like Like x 2
  10. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    $#@% the nfln, cut the cable keep the net, see games at bars.

11. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Will this have changes for nfl game pass via internet ?

I#m sure they will make it more expensive.:icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  12. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Will this broadband package be available in europe?

• Like Like x 1