1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

League Fines Sean Payton for Pointing Out NFL Officials Aren't Very Good at Their Job

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Sep 27, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Look, I understand that the league has rules about publicly criticizing officials (feel free to rip away behind close doors, however -- it's encouraged, even!) but fining Saints head coach Sean Payton for some vague comments about a humongous no-call in last week's loss to the Broncos -- Denver's Jamie Winborn was absurdly offsides on a critical 3rd and 1 late in the fourth quarter -- is sorta dumb.

Particularly since Jerrah Jones ripped Ed Hochuli several times after the Week 2 Chargers-Broncos debacle, and I'm pretty sure the Cowboys didn't even play in that game.

First, the $15,000 comments (from Payton's Monday press conference):

"There are some things that are frustrating about the game that don't sit well. When you guys take a peek at the television copy and I see a no-call, that's that much of a violation, I have a hard time swallowing that, because at some point there's a decision made to say I'm just not throwing the flag. At least that's how it appears to me. It's not a judgment call. You're either offsides or you're not. I have a problem with that."

And this was after Jones went on a Dallas-area radio show to tell Hochuli to "keep that whistle out your mouth."

Unless it went unreported, the NFL didn't fine Jones, even though most reasonable people would agree that his words were more critical than anything that came out of Payton's mouth.

But, hey, rulz is rulz ... unless you're Jerry Jones, apparently. Maybe next time Payton should make his remarks less nebulous and more personal -- and on the radio. I think that's the key.

Or maybe the officials can just do their jobs and we can avoid all this. I mean, it's one thing for Hochuli to inadvertently blow the whistle -- that happens, fine -- but it's something entirely different for an official to ignore the fact that a player is hanging out in the neutral zone, and makes the conscious decision to not throw a flag.

Whatever, Payton's appealing the fine. I'd like to think common sense would prevail here, but, well, I'm skeptical.

This week, the crew of officials handling the game between the Saints and Broncos didn’t notice that a member of the Denver defense was clearly lined up offside on the third-and-short play that preceded the missed field goal by Saints kicker Martin Gramatica late in the game.

If the penalty had been called, the Saints would have gotten a first down at the Denver 19, with plenty of time to get closer for the potential game-winning field goal.

The referee was Ron Winter, but he was stationed behind the backfield. The head linesman was Jim Mello, and the line judge was Tom Stephan. One of them was straddling the line of scrimmage, and should have seen that the Denver play was lined up across the ball.

We’ve got a feeling that the Saints sounded like sinners once they figured out what had happened.

Here’s the image.

[​IMG]

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    League Fines Sean Payton for Pointing Out NFL Officials Aren't Very Good at Their

Is Shanarat blowing Mike Pereira this year?

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    League Fines Sean Payton for Pointing Out NFL Officials Aren't Very Good at Their

apparently :p

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

There is also a massage to bring him down from the afterglow.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

And he lights his cigarette. :icon_twisted:

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

and peels his grapes.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

WOW!!!
    $15,000.00 just for pointing out a ref's error. WTF?!!!

I remember back in the 90s when Cowher was forced to apologize for his actions.
    The Steelers were called for having 12 men on the field. Cowher got a photo, went out on the field, and put the photo in the ref's pocket.
    Cowher was right. There were not 12 men on the field.
    WHAT WAS HE APOLOGIZING FOR?!!!!

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

the NFL is getting REALLY REALLY defensive if you ask me about some 'honest mistakes'

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979

Touching the ref.

10. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

I think Jerry Jones just got fined 25K for what he said about Eddy.

11. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49

btw hochuli blew another obvious call in carolina which led to a falcons score

GL Bolts :bolt::bolt::bolt:

take a special points spread, chargers -15.5 +190